Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

Unhappy 19 year old dies while Spearfishing

Just saw this on the Monroe County Sheriff facebook page. RIP. No name pronounced yet, really hoping I don't know him.

"19 year old dies while spear fishing

A 19 year old from Miami died Sunday just before noon while free diving and spear fishing offshore of the Upper Keys.

More details will be released later today, but initial reports indicate he was with friends on a private vessel when the incident took place near the lighthouse at Tennessee Reef. His friends called the Sheriff’s Office when he did not surface.

Coast Guard and Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission responded, along with members of the Sheriff’s Office dive team. The body was recovered and turned over to the Medical Examiner’s Office."

Scroll down for a more detailed report

Last edited by KeysKid; 12-03-2012 at 01:32 PM.
KeysKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
pernicia

Re: 19 year old dies while Spearfishing

Sad news, RIP

---Dive Safe---
pernicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
kengolding

Very sad. I wonder what happened?
kengolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
kengolding

I don't know anything about this case, but I don't see how you could want to hold the buddy accountable. There is a risk in this sport, and sometime things happen. I have dove with guys who would drift off from their buddy, and they insist on doing their own thing. It would be very unfair to hold the buddy totally accountable when the victim was not being safe.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Namor
Goletard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
I saw a report of someone passing away on here yesterday in the California section and flipped out. Now one in the keys, I think the persons dive buddy should always be held accountable. I don't understand the lack of responsibility that some people have. (Not saying this was the case here). RIP....
There is only one person responsible for seeing me safely back to shore; ME.

Jeremy
Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
JustinL

Quote:
I saw a report of someone passing away on here yesterday in the California section and flipped out. Now one in the keys, I think the persons dive buddy should always be held accountable. I don't understand the lack of responsibility that some people have. (Not saying this was the case here). RIP....
If you're my buddy and I have a heart attack under water and die, it's your fault? Let's say you're my buddy and I swim away from you with out you knowing (on purpose). You can't find me and surface, I stay under water, run out of air, and down; it's your fault?

P.S. You did see he was FREE diving, right?
JustinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Quote:
... and anyone who thinks they are above having a dive buddy is a fool.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

Well this 100% could have been prevented. The guy apparently had his shooting line tied to his waist. He shot at a fish and got it stuck on a rock and drowned him. Here is the report with more information.

"More information about offshore death

19 year old Erick Diaz of N.W. 177th Terrace in Miami died offshore of Layton, near Tennessee Reef on Sunday just before noon. He was reportedly spear fishing using a mask and snorkel with his cousin. His cousin told detectives Diaz had a line attached to his spear, and the line was also tied around his waist. While trying to shoot a fish, he reportedly shot the spear into some rocks and it got stuck.

The cousin said he tried to pull the spear from the rocks, but couldn’t get it loose so he swam to the surface in an attempt to get help. He was unable to help Diaz, however, who died underwater.

The two were on board a private fishing vessel with a friend. The vessel, an 18 foot Boston Whaler, belonged to Diaz’ father.

Diaz body was recovered from the water by members of the Sheriff’s Office dive team and was turned over to the Monroe County Medical Examiner."
Old 12-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
kengolding

That is horrible. Entanglement is a big problem. This is a case where some education would have saved his life. I feel bad for the family and for the friend.

What a tragedy!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
KeysKid
Keys Spearo

First of all they should have had never tied the line to himself. Second of all, they both should have had a dive knife to cut the line. Very sad either way, especially knowing it was something so preventable.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
JamaicanMeCrazy
Will Bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysKid View Post
First of all they should have had never tied the line to himself. Second of all, they both should have had a dive knife to cut the line. Very sad either way, especially knowing it was something so preventable.
Agreed, this is so sad, never tie anything to yourself that could potentially cause danger, and always were a dive knife, i never go in the water without one. RIP
JamaicanMeCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
rexgear
Jose Debasa

Quote:
I could not agree more... Sad to hear about things like this happening while it could have been prevented so easily.

rexgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #13
rambofishsniper
Puerto Rico

dammm thats so sadd and so young too one swipe of a blade and he would of been home safe
R.I.P.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

Quote:
Well this 100% could have been prevented. The guy apparently had his shooting line tied to his waist. He shot at a fish and got it stuck on a rock and drowned him. Here is the report with more information.

"More information about offshore death

19 year old Erick Diaz of N.W. 177th Terrace in Miami died offshore of Layton, near Tennessee Reef on Sunday just before noon. He was reportedly spear fishing using a mask and snorkel with his cousin. His cousin told detectives Diaz had a line attached to his spear, and the line was also tied around his waist. While trying to shoot a fish, he reportedly shot the spear into some rocks and it got stuck.

The cousin said he tried to pull the spear from the rocks, but couldn’t get it loose so he swam to the surface in an attempt to get help. He was unable to help Diaz, however, who died underwater.

The two were on board a private fishing vessel with a friend. The vessel, an 18 foot Boston Whaler, belonged to Diaz’ father.

Diaz body was recovered from the water by members of the Sheriff’s Office dive team and was turned over to the Monroe County Medical Examiner."
That's really sad. RIP brother, way too soon.

A shooter in Key West also got his hand fouled in his line maybe 3 - 4 years ago. Same result.

Always carry a sharp knife, even if you're not spearing, even if you are on scuba. Wear gloves too. Get some training and experience.

Chad
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida

Last edited by Chad Carney; 12-03-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
Behslayer

That's just terrible news. Someone's son, brother, best friend.. and completely avoidable. A dumb accident. But don't forget this. We all occasionally will be tempted to do something that doesn't make sense. But within one breath.. silly mistakes can kill. Always question your actions and equipment especially when trying something new. "How is this dangerous?" "What is the worst case scenario?" "What is the solution?" "What is the worst case scenario to that solution?"..

This guy was probably an inexperienced diver. Many things could have saved him.

The other day I was dropping my Flasher line down while loading my gun while putting on my gloves, etc.. In the confusion I allowed a little mess of lines, and without thinking, allowed a deadly half hitch around my wrist.. I didn't even stop what I was doing.. one moment later, my bottom flasher got stuck in the reef.

Current and Swell.

Right Hand getting pulled down. It was so quick. No air. Knife on my right side of my belt. 600lb breaking strength rope.. I was lucky. I remained calm and didn't drop my knife.

This kind of thing can happen to anyone, anytime.

Terrible news for this guys family and friends, RIP.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote