Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 01-03-2017, 09:25 PM   #61
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Re: Another Pneumatic recomendation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Here's a video with my pneumatic.

http://youtu.be/k3DlFLVCm64
It's a cool vid, Marco and A did a great job putting it together:-).
I love the shot where you hand the gear back into the panga and you can really tell how short that spear is.

Quick question, didn't the Predathor 115 see any water on that trip, or was this another trip:-)?

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 01-10-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #62
Marco

Water was murky, so I didn't get it wet.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #63
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Water was murky, so I didn't get it wet.
Gotcha:-)

I was in the Philippines some months ago to shoot a video and though we were on the ocean side for two and a half weeks I only got half a day of spearing in. I had spent weeks customizing and modifying an old Mirage heavily and when I dropped in, I looked at it in the boat but then grabbed my old trusted 90cm Seac. (And shot the only reasonably sized fish I saw in two hours).
Old 01-10-2017, 06:42 AM   #64
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

As I imagined, the Race Kit came out of the same mold and the only difference is the adjustment screw:

I haven't mounted my set yet but I don't agree fully with the instructions. I think another, more real risk is that you can screw in the trigger so far and make the trigger pull so short that the line release wont release when the sear does.
For now, looking at the parts, I don't actually think you can unscrew it so much that the trigger will drop down and let the line release spin as they write about in the instructions. The adjustment screw can not drop lower than the original fixed one, it seems. It looks like they thought about that when they designed the adjustment screw. But let's see if busting line releases or shooting lines is more of a risk...

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 01-12-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:35 AM   #65
Marco

My gun has the Race kit installed. Was this what you were waiting for? I thought it was an aftermarket trigger kit. Even with the race kit, the trigger pull is way harder (and longer) than the HF EVO's.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #66
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Nah, I knew the race kit would do nothing for those ailments. 1.5mm trigger kit should and "my" guy is working on them now.
I am working on another gun altogether and wanted the race kit for parts;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #67
Marco

Ok.

Old 01-10-2017, 11:11 AM   #68
Marco

BTW, these two fish were taken last Sunday by my Cyrano EVO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corvina y pargo Ene'17.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	230928  

Old 01-12-2017, 12:49 AM   #69
ninjagazz

Quote:
BTW, these two fish were taken last Sunday by my Cyrano EVO.
The Cyrano EVO looks very impressive, muck like your videos. Thanks for sharing
ninjagazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #70
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
My gun has the Race kit installed. Was this what you were waiting for? I thought it was an aftermarket trigger kit. Even with the race kit, the trigger pull is way harder (and longer) than the HF EVO's.
BTW, I have often come across a modification done by a number of Italian spearos who cut a few loops of their trigger spring and not long ago I mentioned that somewhere on one of the forums but the more I think about it, the more I am in doubt.
I am beginning to think that what they are doing serves the exact opposite of what they are trying to achieve. I think that put reducing the number of coils (and stretching the spring to its original length) you actually make it stiffer...

@Pete, what are your thoughts on this? Doesn't more coils give a softer spring (everything else being equal)?
Old 01-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #71
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

To answer my own question. Yes, the Italian modders seem to have gotten it wrong.
Cutting off coils and stretching the spring back will make it stiffer. It kinda makes sense as you end up aligning the rod in the spring more with the pin itself.

Also, I measured a Mares spring just now to be 0.6mm (diameter of wire) x 5.2mm (OD) x 14mm (length) with 9 active coils.
With this info, you could have some fun with a formula for how to calculate the spring constant of a compression spring or... you could just input the same data into an online spring calculator.
I did the latter and assuming the spring is made of 302SS, then the spring rate is 1.28N/mm. Cut off two coils and this increases to 1.64N/mm.

Viva Italia...;-)

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 01-14-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #72
Bobc

I have no experience of spearguns but cutting coils off trigger blade springs was fairly common with amateur gunsmiths at one time but they did it to shorten the spring so it wasn't compressed as much when at rest, they didn't stretch it out . Tried it myself a few times and definitely seemed to lower the trigger pull
Of course the correct method would be to get a spring with the same length and number of coils but with thinner wire but these weren't always available.
Bob
Bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #73
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
I have no experience of spearguns but cutting coils off trigger blade springs was fairly common with amateur gunsmiths at one time but they did it to shorten the spring so it wasn't compressed as much when at rest, they didn't stretch it out . Tried it myself a few times and definitely seemed to lower the trigger pull
Of course the correct method would be to get a spring with the same length and number of coils but with thinner wire but these weren't always available.
Bob
Ah, "compression at rest". Yes, that was the missing piece of the puzzle. Thanks:-). I was too focused on the force to move the spring a certain length which is the same despite the length of the spring (cut or uncut) that I forgot about the starting compression. Lower the compression, or the length the spring has already been compressed, when loaded (at rest) and you lower the total force.
So, I guess the Italians who don't stretch the spring after cutting are right and the ones that do are not.

In terms of a pneumatic gun trigger, you really do have to be careful because you want the spring to have a certain minimum length to make sure the sear hook engages with the tail of the piston fully when loading.
I think I will try to find replacements springs of the same length and number of coils but in a slightly thinner gauge. That should be the safer approach.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:50 PM   #74
popgun pete

The single-piece trigger (which is what the rocker type sear lever is) needs that coil spring to snap the catch hook (sear tooth) onto the mushroom headed tail of the piston, so I advise not to touch it. A hard trigger pull is not caused by that spring, nor the pressure in the gun acting on the transmission pin, but by the effort of pulling the sear tooth across the face of the mushroom tail if the gun has plenty of pressure in it. A number of my guns have 3 mm diameter transmission pins and I don't have any trouble pulling the trigger on them.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:52 PM   #75
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
The single-piece trigger (which is what the rocker type sear lever is) needs that coil spring to snap the catch hook (sear tooth) onto the mushroom headed tail of the piston, so I advise not to touch it. A hard trigger pull is not caused by that spring, nor the pressure in the gun acting on the transmission pin, but by the effort of pulling the sear tooth across the face of the mushroom tail if the gun has plenty of pressure in it.
Yes, polishing the catch hook and mushroom tail are other mods in the pipeline.