Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Pacific Northwest

Pacific Northwest Tell us about hunting in the PNW here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 01:36 AM   #1
michael.friend

Riffe Digi Tek?

Hey everybody, after diving in the sound for years I just recently found out how cold it actually is in the winter. (high 40s according to NOAA) and I might want to upgrade my wetsuit to match the conditions. Right now i have a ripcurl 4/3 chest zip and I've been getting quite cold towards the end of my dives which last no more than 2 hours because of the cold. I know most people around here have 7mm open cell suits and so i wanted to ask if anybody has tried the Riffe Digi Tek suits. are they warm? are they durable for shore dives? I would like to know if it would be a good investment because they do cost quite a bit of money. I am leaning towards eventually getting a riffe because they have a size for tall lankey guys like me. (6'4" 170lbs)

thanks
michael.friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:08 AM   #2
troyh

Re: Riffe Digi Tek?

one of the only brands that make tall sizes! i had mine for 3 years and still going strong.
troyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:50 AM   #3
SpearoTastic
Homebound Spearo

For the price of a Riffe, you can get a custom tailored wetsuit.

With the Euro taking a huge tumble, you can get great bargains on top of the line custom tailored wetsuits by using your credit card and paying in Euros. Check into

Polosub http://www.polosub.com/index_en.php

Oceanos http://oceanos-wetsuits.com/

Eliosub http://www.eliossub.com/index.php/en/

and, possibly the most affordable custom wetsuit around

Aqualand http://aqualandwetsuits.com/About.html

Good luck and dive safe.

Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". - Andy Rooney

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. - Proverbs 22:6 (NIV)

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON
SpearoTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
MikePierce170

I'll second Ellios Sub, although I ordered mine through http://www.freedivershop.com/. The Ellios website (to me) seemed too confusing and messy. The people at Freedivershop were very prompt in their email correspondence between both myself and Ellios. It sounds like Michael and I have similar problems only on opposite sides of the spectrum haha. He's a tall skinny dude and I'm a short brick. I had an off the rack Riffe Cryptic Camo wetsuit and it didn't fit me like I wanted. The arms and legs were too long and the chest didn't feel right either. So I decided to go with a tailor made Ellios wetsuit. Not only did I get to pick all the materials (camo, neoprene, thickness, and interior fabric) used, it also fit me and ONLY me. The real bright side is that it ended up costing $20 less than my Riffe suit. It's hard to argue with a tailor made suit that's cheaper, completely custom, and FITS. Go Ellios!
MikePierce170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #5
prs77
Paul

Most manufacturers don't make off the shelf suits for tall and lanky guys. Riffe makes a ML-Tall size wetsuit that at first glance seems like it would work. However, you might be better off with a custom suit (Elios, Polosub, etc). At one point, I was a tall lanky guy (6'2", 170 lbs) and I bought a Riffe ML-Tall suit. The arms and legs were definitely short. For reference, my dress shirt size is 15/35. You're 6'4", so I imagine it would be even worse for you. You should be able to get a custom suit for $300-$350.
prs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
Killa Kenny
"Go SCUP Yourself!"

I use my riffe digi tek 7 mil right down to low 40s in the late and early season for shell fish in CT. I hunt with that suit as the water warms up to the low fifties. It keeps me warm but what becomes exceedingly important in colder water are your gloves, and to a lesser degree booties.

The 7 mil digi tek comes with the titanium liner, advertised for non-stick lubeless application but do not don this suit dry. The rubber is thick and soft and even with the titanium, even though it is slick, you must use some lube. I have found the knees to wear with repeated abrasive use and rather prefer the knee pad style on the three mil cryptic suit.

I would say this suit is very comfortable, warm, and flexible, but only moderately durable. For the money, it should come with a tube of wetsuit cement. But then again, I do beat the shit out of mine (shore dives, crawling through rip rap, shallow shell fish beds etc..)

I am not a tall or lanky fellow and wear a regular M. Can't comment on tall.

Stretch - play the euro, go Polosub
Killa Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:57 PM   #7
MikePierce170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa Kenny View Post
The 7 mil digi tek comes with the titanium liner, advertised for non-stick lubeless application but do not don this suit dry. The rubber is thick and soft and even with the titanium, even though it is slick, you must use some lube. I have found the knees to wear with repeated abrasive use and rather prefer the knee pad style on the three mil cryptic suit.
I second this. My Riffe Cryptic Camo suit also came with a titanium lining and did develop rips in it from dawning without lube.

Here is a link to a thread I created when I got my suit in the mail. Hope this helps answer some of your questions/concerns.

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...96#post1909096
MikePierce170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:33 PM   #8
michael.friend

alright thanks for the feedback guys, I'll definitely check out the links
michael.friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #9
pnw36

I am 6'6" and purchased a custom suit from Oceanos...I think it was under $400 including shipping. I only shore dive and it has held up just fine. It fits like a glove and is very warm.
Hope this helps.

Joel
pnw36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #10
xrispearo
you cant see mee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw36 View Post
I am 6'6" and purchased a custom suit from Oceanos...I think it was under $400 including shipping. I only shore dive and it has held up just fine. It fits like a glove and is very warm.
Hope this helps.

Joel

It damn well should have been under $400. The suit only costs 185$ from oceanos!
Old 02-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #11
pnw36

Xrispero,

$189 is the base price. After you add elbowpads, kneepads, chestpads, the 7mm option (a $60 dollar addition), and then $45 for shipping it amounts to about $350.
pnw36 is offline   Reply With Quote