Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 07-29-2020, 11:17 PM   #16
spearq8

Re: Who makes the best rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver278 View Post
On a Pathos Sniper R 85 would you use a 14mm or 14.5mm small id?
On a roller I am not really sure 14 or 14.5mm are best. For the roller I think your best bet is thick band with minimum pre-stretch ... I would even go as high as 18mm. At least that is what worked best in testing. If you use thin bands with a roller then you have to have high pre-stretch to gain power ... which tends to push the shaft down. If you go classic setup then for sure the 14mm bands will work really well with the light 6.75mm to 7mm shafts and will actually outperform the roller setup on the Sniper.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:25 AM   #17
Diver278

Thanks spearq8 for the feed back. I’ll try some 16mm small id and see how it shoots although I have not had an problems with the 14mm small id it shoots great and accurate. I was just courious about the difference between the 14mm and 14.5mm.
Diver278 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:38 AM   #18
Marco

Mako bands are very good and well priced. 14.5 mm will work fine.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:13 AM   #19
Diver278

Thanks I’ll go ahead and try it.
Diver278 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:14 PM   #20
renepotvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
I would even go as high as 18mm.
That was tested by you? I'm using 14 mm on the only roller I made yet. I was thinking of going to 19 mm to avoid going the way of the double roller. Talking about regular roller...

Sailing adventures http://miami2montreal.wordpress.com/

Freediving and spearfishing stuff www.renepotvin.com

My spearguns www.renesub.com

On twitter : @living_outdoors
renepotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:07 AM   #21
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by renepotvin View Post
That was tested by you? I'm using 14 mm on the only roller I made yet. I was thinking of going to 19 mm to avoid going the way of the double roller. Talking about regular roller...

Yes I tested this and worked best for roller. The point is to try and avoid tail flip of the shaft by the wishbone as the shaft exits the track. This tail flip causes shots to dive down and you lose accuracy. To prevent that you need to have minimum pre-stretch possible. Now if you have minimum pre-stretch you would need the maximum power you can put on your setup without pre-stretch and that would require a thicker band as the thinner bands will only give you the power you need if you have a lot of pre-stretch. If properly setup your roller will then shoot straight and accurate and not have tail flip. But of course you might sacrifice some power. In my testing on rollers around 85 to 105cm, I could not get better performance than 2 x 14mm or 2 x 14.5mm classic setup. That doesn't mean that this cannot change but it means that with present design setups of rollers this is the case. I do think the rollers can be designed better and maybe prevent tail lift even with high pre-stretch. This would require a way to stop the wishbone before tail flip. I have already seen that on invert rollers but haven't seen that implemented with normal rollers.

You can check out this video I made few years back. I have done more tests since but not put out the videos. If you look at Mannisub rollers they now use 18mm small ID bands on his roller setup ... so at least he is convinced of that and he probably has the best performing roller kit.

Last edited by spearq8; 08-01-2020 at 02:18 AM.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #22
Marco

You can avoid the tail flip in different ways. Reducing pre-stretch is the worst way in my opinion, as you loose too much power.

Best solution I found was filing the last sharkfin almost leaving it vertical, so the wishbone leaves it at the end of the run without pulling the shaft tail up.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #23
renepotvin

While shooting at targets I noticed that my roller was shooting high and to the right. The high part comes with the roller I guess. The shooting right had me puzzled since I'm right handed...

Then I noticed I was not holding the handle perfectly straight... so the shooting high translated to shooting right... Those rollers are a bit of a challenge lol. It simply doesn't matter how I hold my traditional guns..

Sailing adventures http://miami2montreal.wordpress.com/

Freediving and spearfishing stuff www.renepotvin.com

My spearguns www.renesub.com

On twitter : @living_outdoors
renepotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #24
jfjf

Just a comment about bands. We recently put new bands on my son's gun which uses two bands. One band was the MAKO pink and the other the MAKO Blue latex.

The performance was fine, but I really liked how the two different colors were very discernible - even at depth. this makes loading the gun and dealing with the shooting line etc., just a little bit easier. It also makes unloading easier if you intentionally (or accidentally) stacked two bands on one shark fin.

I thought it looked pretty cool too.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:59 AM   #25
Paumalu Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKO Spearguns View Post
https://www.makospearguns.com/Spearg...e-p/mbr-bk.htm

https://www.makospearguns.com/Spearg.../mbr-sm145.htm

Speargun Bands by Primeline Industries - Latex Tubing

MAKO Spearguns power bands are recognized worldwide as the best speargun power bands in the world. This is because they are produced for us by Primeline Industries of Akron Ohio.

If it is not made by Primeline, it is an inferior speargun power band.

Warning: The quality of the MAKO Spearguns power bands is so high that there are reports of persons selling counterfeit MAKO Spearguns Power Bands. That is why we now put our name directly on the bands, ensuring you are getting 100% Genuine Primeline latex tubing made specifically for MAKO Spearguns.

Warning: Not all Latex Tubing is the same. If it is not made by Primeline it is lower quality latex. This due to Primeline avoiding the mastication process employed by other manufacturers by only using liquid latex. Their continuous dip process results in a superior base product with superior physical properties including greater tear resistance

- an essential characteristic in providing strength and performance to speargun bands. When compared to other manufacturing processes, Primeline’s continuous dip process is far more time consuming and labor intensive, but the result is the best speargun power bands.

We use only the highest quality factories and material for all of our spearfishing and freediving gear. But, because we sell direct to divers, instead of through dive shops, we can sell it for les
s.

I purchased some 14.5mm rubber from you for my “big fish gun”, but I do wish you also carried 14mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paumalu Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:30 AM   #26
memosub

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
That is an easy one ... Primeline repeatedly beats everything I try out.
Do you try Kent elastomer??
memosub is offline   Reply With Quote