Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

View Poll Results: Have your drowned your Gopro?
Drowned it! 18 25.00%
Never drowned it. 54 75.00%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #16
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Re: Did you down your Gopro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil herranen View Post
The real problem is these cameras are being used by guys that have no u/w photography background and have no clue of how they need to be checked and cared for .

The O ring needs to be checked for cuts and contaminated surfaces every time it's opened , something as small as a grain of sand or a eyelash can flood a camera
Bingo.
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #17
FredT

Fine blond or grey hair is really hard to see on a cursory check.
Either one WILL flood any pressure housing if placed across a seal, then dislodge and be hard to find during the investigation.

Anyone using electronics in clear housings needs to understand that grape unsweetened cool-aid is absolutely your best friend!
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:29 PM   #18
louisianadiver

just drowned mine a week afteri voted on this thread on a dive shallower than 80 feet ... but it was the original hero and never changed the o-ring since it was bought. Anyways knock on wood after voting good luck!
louisianadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #19
Kai Nui

Bummer! Well consider it a great opportunity to upgrade to the 4 when it comes out.
Kai Nui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
louisianadiver

yep! thats the plan anyways, depending on the price tag.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #21
Coral Sniper
Pineisland Freediver

I've put my hero 2 through some heavy commercial freedive spearfishing, it's been beat but has never leaked a drip, solid little camera. Taken it down to 120' no issues what's so ever.

Ben Carlson
FREEDIVE Fort Myers, Join us on FB!
Coral Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #22
Kai Nui

I have several hero 2's that I still use as well but the 3+ has far superior focus abilities. If the 4 has any of the features I am hoping for I will be upgrading.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:27 AM   #23
Coral Sniper
Pineisland Freediver

I need my 2 to die on me now so I can upgrade!

Ben Carlson
FREEDIVE Fort Myers, Join us on FB!
Coral Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #24
AlexbeeintheUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisianadiver View Post
yep! thats the plan anyways, depending on the price tag.
Worst case it might knock down the price of the 3 & 3+ making them a little more affordable
AlexbeeintheUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:27 PM   #25
louisianadiver

i think ill be happy either way! anybody heard anything about the new one?
Old 10-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #26
Kai Nui

I have had hands on the hero4 black. Totally awesome! Besides all the obvious cool stuff the lcd is much brighter and easier to see. I have not taken it underwater yet but expect to stay impressed.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #27
toptuna

Quote:
The real problem is these cameras are being used by guys that have no u/w photography background and have no clue of how they need to be checked and cared for .

The O ring needs to be checked for cuts and contaminated surfaces every time it's opened , something as small as a grain of sand or a eyelash can flood a camera
you make it hurt oh so much more. Ive lost two and flooded one. I got the sony action came now. Im over gopro
Old 10-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #28
quatin

Quote:

What more does a photographer know about o-rings and gaskets than a diver? We as divers should be well versed on o-ring seals. It's on all of our gear. Tank valves, hose connections, dive lights, dive computer and camera.

The real problem is that the GoPro Hero 1 and 2 case was not designed for underwater use. It just so happened you can use it underwater, but there are two major oversights that could not have happened if they attempted to certify it for underwater photography.

First, it didn't even come with a flat lens, causing underwater images to be a complete blur. 3rd party vendors had to provide the flat lens solution. Second, the latch becomes unsecured if you get past 30 feet, due to water compressing the seal. A slight bump would cause it to open up and as you ascend, the case opens. This is exactly what happened to me with a Hero 2.

On a brighter note, there are now more competitors in the action camera market.

http://foscam.us/products/foscam-ac1...on-camera.html
quatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:28 AM   #29
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Let us know how that cam works in low light conditions...the specs are not too promising. Seems like an entry level GoPro knock off. May be a great choice for slower moving, higher light level filming...but it doesn't compare spec-wise to a current gen GoPro.

As far as dogging the GoPro 1 and 2, they are now 3-4 generations beyond those models. They were the best available a that time. The current gen 3+ and 4 cams are very good little underwater capable cameras.

And yes the level of detail and care required to maintain an o-ring on a housing vs a tank or reg is a bit different...you can hamfist most of those O-rings and never have an issue.
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:45 AM   #30
quatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattedhead View Post
Let us know how that cam works in low light conditions...the specs are not too promising. Seems like an entry level GoPro knock off. May be a great choice for slower moving, higher light level filming...but it doesn't compare spec-wise to a current gen GoPro.

As far as dogging the GoPro 1 and 2, they are now 3-4 generations beyond those models. They were the best available a that time. The current gen 3+ and 4 cams are very good little underwater capable cameras.

And yes the level of detail and care required to maintain an o-ring on a housing vs a tank or reg is a bit different...you can hamfist most of those O-rings and never have an issue.
It depends on what you want. If you're a pro or an enthusiast, then you'll want the Hero 4 for $500. However, if you're like me and just record weekend outings to post on youtube, the original Hero 1 worked just fine for that. GoPro is also offering a cheap $150 version of an action cam, because of this.

However, beware the Hero4 case has downgraded their depth rating to 40m (130 feet).
quatin is offline   Reply With Quote