Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #1
saf

Boat advise needed

I am considering (more like dreaming) buying a boat but there are some restrictions... First off, I don't want to (can't) buy an extra vehicle for towing. So, this limits me to towing with my minivan (Honda Odyssey) rated for 3500 lbs towing capacity. Second, my wife tells me she'd go along with the plan only if it's a family boat, meaning (for her) that it has to have a head. I think I can get away with a port-a-potty but the boat at least needs to have a large enough cabin. Is there anything within these two limitations? Or is it just a pipe dream? Also, how big of a boat would I need to get to Block Island safely on a good day? Thanks in advance for any advise.
saf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
MeTo

Re: Boat advise needed

Buy a couple good SOT kayaks ($800-$3000) simple and happy. You need at least a 22 foot 5000 pound boat for Block. If you want to get together PM me.
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #3
xrispearo
you cant see mee

There is no boat that fits your needs under 21ft. Which puts you way over the limit. Start out with kayaks to make sure she can handle seas. Or maybe start with a small skiff. Boating is a long learning process and lifestyle.

People kayak to block island. Friends have done it in a 13ft whaler one time. size doesnt matter, knowledge does
Old 07-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #4
spearoscott

I have that same van, your going to have problems at some ramps during low tide. If someone pulls a boat before you and the ramp is wet your screwed.

a skiff could work.

like Andrew said its the right conditions and knowledge.

Start off with a small motor and a small stable boat to get the feel. You will go through many boats anyway to find the right one for you.

Good luck
spearoscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
saf

Thanks guys.

Thinking along the lines of the "skiff" option, what do you think of this boat http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/4547616143.html ?
The ad says it weights 1500 lb, should be within my towing limits or is it?
Would you venture to get to BI on it in calm weather?
saf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
spearoscott

I wouldn't spend that much on a used boat, but I don't like GW.

A roller trailer is a must for what your trying to do.

Block you can swim on a nice day. Nice morning ,rough afternoon, you'll need a bigger boat.
spearoscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #7
Chad13

I think it is a little pricey for a 21 year old boat. Also don't forget you will mostly see hull weight dont forget to add trailer, Motor weight to that along with all the stuff yu will put in it.
Chad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #8
xrispearo
you cant see mee

Did you wake up one day and say hey, I want own a boat that will do xyz? or have you owned boats in the past or been on boats at all?

why are you reaching for the stars right out of the gate?
I just cannot picture owning a boat without having some years background driving friends/families boats or owning a small dingy in the past. Seems like your saying you've never skied before, but can you show me to the nearest black diamond.

get seatow, be prepared to get screamed at by your wife for going too slow, too fast, its too rough, I was just trying to help, whats a drain plug?..ect

Edit:
whats your budget, what kind of diving/activities do you do, whats your experience with boats, diving, fish, sea sickness, and mechanical ability?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #9
MeTo

Saf get in touch with me. I'll take you out on my skiff. Boats are expensive. I would not buy anything until you have something to tow with. The mini van will not do it. SOT kayaks are a great option. Depending on the number of people in your family that could be a lot cheaper.
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #10
Chad13

I have a different view then a lot of people here buy a cheaper skiff something around 17' I would go older from a good brand with newer motor and try it out. If you don't like it or want to upgrade you won't take a huge hit on the resale. I wouldn't worry about going to BI yet till you know more about boating. Launch it in the bay and dive there or take the kids for a ride to see the shore. ALso, Right now is not the best time to buy unless you have a lot of time to use it this fall because it will take a few weeks to get it all settled out and summer will almost be over by then and you are still paying the higher prices of summer. Either wait till fall when people are unloading boats cheap or buy it early in the spring and use it for the whole summer.
Chad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
Alexrom1207

I would recommend a longer inflatable RIB (12 feet or more) with an outboard up to 25hp. Cuts down on weight, easy to store, engine can be removed easily if necessary. Another benefit of this is that you can trailer it to wherever you want to dive (upper bay, lower bay, Newport, point Judith, watch hill, mass, etc...) and its very easy to launch, even from a beach. This cuts down on time and gas that you would spend driving a larger boat out to your location. But the rib is going to be a fair weather boat, no head, not going to get you far in a rough sea (at least not comfortably). That being said, they can be lots of fun for kids and the wife. Take it around shore, up rivers, even do some light tubing on it.

If you want to dive block island, you can either trailer the boat out there on the ferry and launch from the island, or risk trying to follow behind the slow ferry (but this doesn't always work that well and I wouldn't recommend it). Anything that will be seaworthy enough to get you out to block in normal seas 2-3ft, will be too heavy for you to trailer around. Alternatively, you can just get a slip and borrow/rent a truck to launch your boat every season, but the slip can be pricey and may limit the areas you can dive. However, this would allow you to get whatever size boat you wanted, in which case I wouldn't recommend anything under 18 feet and more likely in the 22 foot plus range. A center console is ideal for fishing, but a cuddy cabin would likely make the wife most happy. Just remember that the maintenance and expense of a boat skyrockets pretty quickly. That RIB will cost you next to nothing each year. A 22 cuddy cabin, a whole different animal.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
exuma

SAF, I was in a similar situation to you and was close to buying an old truck just for towing. But we ended up replacing our family car with a Honda Pilot, which, similar to your van, can tow up to 3,500 lbs. That's not a lot but it's enough for a small boat - so long as you take it easy, no long trips, big hills, etc, and be sure to add a tow package. I have a light 17' center console with a 90hp 2-stroke. With the trailer and a full tank of fuel it weighs around 2,500 lbs and is pretty easy to tow. A boat like that is fine for a few adults in light seas but that's the limit.
exuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #13
gillotine

I'll second the RIB 25hp idea ALEXROM posted. If you get a used boat sized to take you to BI, and more importantly back in a gusty afternoon sea breeze, for the price of a new RIB/motor/trailer, you'll likely end up with a lot of problems.
Whatever you buy, your first boat is where you learn what you don't want in a boat and what you want your next one to be.
And if you don't know what I mean by the " gusty afternoon sea breeze ", you have to learn about that kind of thing also.
This is best done with a reliable, low maintenance, easy to trailer boat and not a big POS that can cost more money and aggravation than you could imagine.
Having made most of those mistakes, given the opportunity for a do over, I would start with the RIB, use it close to shore and charter when the need to hit BI arose.
BTW, there were two tech divers who used a 14-16 ft RIB trailered From CT to get from Jamestown to the U-835 off BI almost every weekend. Don't think of an RIB as a toy.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #14
celtmaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrispearo View Post
Did you wake up one day and say hey, I want own a boat that will do xyz? or have you owned boats in the past or been on boats at all?

why are you reaching for the stars right out of the gate?
I just cannot picture owning a boat without having some years background driving friends/families boats or owning a small dingy in the past. Seems like your saying you've never skied before, but can you show me to the nearest black diamond.

get seatow, be prepared to get screamed at by your wife for going too slow, too fast, its too rough, I was just trying to help, whats a drain plug?..ect

Edit:
whats your budget, what kind of diving/activities do you do, whats your experience with boats, diving, fish, sea sickness, and mechanical ability?
Tell him how to fire a spear shaft into the deck of a boat as well. It's a helpful boating skill if you have to drain water from deck of the boat into the hull quickly. It's a complicated process but it's best he learns it from someone with first hand experience you know?

celtmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:04 AM   #15
codfishhead

tow my 17' 3" cc all fiber glass CC Angler with a mini van doing 80 up n down the east coast. Launching from Galili tomorrow Morn n blowing right by that slow ass ferry to block. Run it across LIS reg. make sure you know what your boat n yourself are capable of before putting others in potential danger. Then drop the hammer.

Buy n old boat to save n you'll be getting stuck on the water and or sinking tons of cash into it. That is unless you plan to rip it down n sink money in first. Start small n newer with the biggest engine it will hold.