Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2007 Tournament Archives > 2007 FSDA Southern Open Florida Championship

2007 FSDA Southern Open Florida Championship The dates for the Southern Open Spearfishing tournament are June 22, 23 & 24 (Rain date 6/29 – 7/1)

Old 06-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #1
BwanaR
Richard Daniel

1st Open casualties

Well after a week long preparation by Fizisition and **********tampa of their new boat for the trip, we were foiled at the dock by a bad transmission shift cable that broke and would allow nothing but reverse. We regret not getting out to stick some bigun's in that beautiful weather we haven't seen in a long time! Oh well....Hope everyone else has better luck!

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming, 'WAAH HOO What a Ride!'"
BwanaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
Nikki
Good Girl Gone Wong - LOL

Re: 1st Open casualties

We were foiled by bad impellers and electrical stuff........... C'est la vie! Maybe next time.

Gonna try out of Jupiter this afternoon, will show up if there's anything worth weighing in........
Old 06-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

BwanaR, next time that happens, just shift it by hand. You may have to tie it up with cord, as in an outboard. The neutral saftey switch is in the shifter on an outboard and it will start in gear. I/O s are a little different, but can be started in gear, as can inboards. Or start it in nuetral(shift by hand) and shift back into gear but tie off. It will save a trip.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:05 PM   #4
Spearchucker

Well, we were ten miles or less outside of the middlegrounds when the new wiring harness on my motors shorted out and overheated. We got one of the motors back up and running, and limped back in. Stopped at a few spots, and got a few fish, but nothing to speak of. Sucks, but it is the only time EVER that I have had to limp in from 90 miles out, I guess I was due....

I will see you at the weigh in to weigh my wimpy ass fish.
Spearchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
Swimsuit
Marine Biologist Geek

man bad day for boats! we got towed in from the reef as well. still a nice day on the water though. jeff will post the story in miami/keys
Old 06-23-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
Spearchucker

Well, SW, not to make light of your predicament, but I would have traded being towed in 4 miles versus limping in 90 miles anyday
Old 06-23-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
inletsurf

The most beautiful conditions, too.

I was so frustrated, I said F**K it at 6:30 AM and proceeded to fill my stringer of bluegills.

I just want to appeal to the moderators that although I was over my limit, there were 4 people on the boat, including the one holding the camera. So please don't remove the picture due to our massive stringers of bluegills and cite your "photo policy"

Here is one of me pissing on the down motor, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	56743   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	56744  
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
inletsurf

You know, John cannot stand to be anything less than 1st place on his own boat. He tells me all the time, "Steve, its a long swim back to the weigh-in line". So, not being outdone today, he fills up his own healthy stringers of bluegills.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	56745  
Old 06-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #9
inletsurf

I actually freedove for this bluegill. Ritchie was convinced its a world record, because as you can see in the picture it is huge, not the typical 12 ounce bluegill you usually find everywhere. This thing weighed 64 ounces, empty. I'd imagine the beer was 12 ounces, too, making the total 76 ounces.

We had seen this phenomenon before, and were convinced that this particular bluegill must have came from Jupiter, where 10 pound gags always go 20 pounds.

Not to be outdone, John dove to 225 feet on air for a bigger one of his own. Unfortunately he was a little narced and left it on the bottom while riding the lift bag up.

Yes, that is Jerry pissing in the background. You are very observant. Possibly even gay. Quit looking at Jerry pissing and focus on my world record bluegill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	757
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	56746  
Old 06-23-2007, 09:09 PM   #10
inletsurf

Last but not least, all this bluegill shooting called for a nap in the sun.

Sorry it isn't the best picture, John had to tuck Ritchie's balls back in his speedo before the shot without waking him up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	56747  
Old 06-23-2007, 09:35 PM   #11
bubblejunkie
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to bubblejunkie

Next year guy's seems like the Southern Open is going to be my every other year tourney did well last year broke down the year before and this year I'll be making up for it out of Sebastion Tomarrow

Thanks for the boat ride John
bubblejunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #12
BwanaR
Richard Daniel

Thanks Steve...(it's an IO), I asked if it was shiftable directly and we did make an attempt but Pat said the cable went into the case so the shifting linkage was probably in there. It would have been one thing $&##*@rigging it to get in, but to do that for a trip 100 miles due west was a differant story!
Maybe the SO will take pity on us and invite us back next year, for our donation.

Talk about a highjacked thread.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming, 'WAAH HOO What a Ride!'"
BwanaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:36 AM   #13
junior

Sorry about ya'lls bad luck.

At least you had nice seas for the limp back in John. Did you run out of bluegills?
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #14
f94gator

Now those are some mother@#$ing HOD's!!!!
f94gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:13 PM   #15
Spearchucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior
Sorry about ya'lls bad luck.

At least you had nice seas for the limp back in John. Did you run out of bluegills?
Funny thing that you would ask that. After 7 hours plus of limping along, myself and Steve were fairly inebriated when the bluegills ran out. Completely tired of dropping Ritchie on spots along the way, I decided to try and get the boat on plane. I pumped out the freshwater tank (40 gallons), and we dumped all the remaining ice overboard. I got the boat on plane. Full throttle, I got 4500RPM's, and at 4000RPM's, I was able to make 21 mph. We were about 30 miles out when I went on plane and ran the rest of the way in. I am impressed with the power of those etecs in that a single 250 got a 32' boat, loaded to the gills(well, except bluegills), on plane fairly easily.

Last edited by Spearchucker; 06-24-2007 at 07:50 PM.