Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #61
matt888
Matt Rey

Re: Lost wax carbon fiber molding - first gun

Outstanding design on everything Tinman. Please make those muzzles available for the community! Pretty sure that I'm only going to make muzzles and handles for my personal builds and dive crew. Just don't have the time or resources these days. Plus, I like your muzzles more!

Old 12-08-2009, 02:34 AM   #62
cancunspearo

tin man you should make those enclosed euros available for the comunity
cancunspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #63
Tin Man

Let's see if it shoots straight first.
Tin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #64
78sharpshooter

Very awesome! If there were a speargun innovator of the year award you would certainly have that right now. Only suggestions I have are 1) use a tompson precision ground 5/16" shaft instead of the delrin because you will have 100% confidence that the track is +/- 0.002 straight over the entire length and 2) if you were to take this to a production level you would simply need to use a female mold and a custom balloon and you would have a very consistent product 3) crossreference the 160 F with the epoxy details sheet and you should gain quite an increase in modulus of the epoxy with the postcure temp.
78sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #65
Tin Man

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the track is straight, because I cut the Delrin out using an 11/32" ball cutter on my mill. At least, it is as straight as my ability to hold it.

How confident are you that a 5/16" shaft up to 60" long could be removed after the cure? Would you use an 11/32" steel shaft and mold to the final dimension (allowing clearance for the shaft)?
Old 12-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #66
78sharpshooter

Those tompson shafts are case hardened and have a super smooth surface finish on them and when coated with meguiars mold release wax, the shaft is easily removed from the laminate. I would make sure there is a decent extension of the shaft to be able to grasp it to remove it. I would fo sure go 11/32nd because you need the clearance to allow the thin film of water to let the shaft glide with little to no contact with the carbon fiber. The straighter the track the better and the tompson shaft should last forever whereas the delrin rod may warp and is definitely not as straight.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:15 PM   #67
Tin Man

Thanks Andrew. I'll have to look into that. Please shoot me a PM if you have a source / contact for those shafts. Not having to cut the track afterwards would allow me to get a little crazier with the barrel shape. I kept this one straight on the bottom and sides because I knew I had to hold it to mill the track.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #68
Don Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
Thanks Andrew. I'll have to look into that. Please shoot me a PM if you have a source / contact for those shafts. Not having to cut the track afterwards would allow me to get a little crazier with the barrel shape. I kept this one straight on the bottom and sides because I knew I had to hold it to mill the track.
Grainger Ind Supply.
Don
Don Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:04 PM   #69
78sharpshooter

Yes, grainger or mcmaster is a good source for those shafts. You could take it a step further and thread the shaft into a block that matches the trigger pocket that way most of the structure is all one piece. I forgot to mention that the cross sectional shape you chose is, in my opinion, absolutely perfect. I really think that you could create a fantastic production gun with this and it is well worth the trouble to make a female mold and balloon.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #70
Tin Man

A little more progress to report.

I have the modified Neptonics Reef mech mounted now. The line release slot is cut, but I haven't yet completed the lever or spring resetting mechanism. The aluminum handle is ready for Shapelock, and the forward and rear mortises are cut to fit.

I started working on the Shapelock last night, but that part always takes me a while. Not because it's hard, but because it is so easy to shape that you get addicted to trying to get the fit "perfect"

Old 12-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #71
cancunspearo

awesome now the gun looks sick man i cant wait to the that finished!
cancunspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #72
Slingingsteel

God it looks so beautifull. Even the fishies are gonna wanna come in for a closer look!!

Dylan
Slingingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #73
filletofish
thats fillet 'o' fish

wow! and i want 1!.. is all i can say
filletofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:40 AM   #74
Gil

Quote:
Thanks!
How confident are you that a 5/16" shaft up to 60" long could be removed after the cure? Would you use an 11/32" steel shaft and mold to the final dimension (allowing clearance for the shaft)?
Affirmative. I poured a bunch of tracks over a polished 5/16 shaft (for a 9/32 shaft) waxed several times over with carnuba. No ball cutter was needed. I was able to get the shaft out by clamping up the gun stock and grabbing the protruding end of shaft with a vice grip and torquing it to break the adhesion. Once you get it to snap just pull it out in spiral motion.

Great work Jeff!
Old 12-11-2009, 11:09 AM   #75
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
A little more progress to report.

I have the modified Neptonics Reef mech mounted now. The line release slot is cut, but I haven't yet completed the lever or spring resetting mechanism. The aluminum handle is ready for Shapelock, and the forward and rear mortises are cut to fit.

I started working on the Shapelock last night, but that part always takes me a while. Not because it's hard, but because it is so easy to shape that you get addicted to trying to get the fit "perfect"

My only concern is that a big fish is going to see that gun and want to eat it...it's that tasty looking!! Amazing work on the gun, just amazing.