Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #16
gnofauhsoj

Re: Question about dive flashlights

Thanks for all the help, I didn't even think about the manufacturing warranty. I just looked at the site and I think I can send it in, but I think I'm going to get an LED one considering that this one burns through 4 C batteries like crazy. Most likely an intova or the one chaeki mentioned.
gnofauhsoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:14 AM   #17
turtle714
IDGAF

Thanks for this post. I just found out that my Princeton Tec is broken and need to get a replacement. (is it just me or do the plastic parts in these break rather easily?)
turtle714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:11 AM   #18
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle714 View Post
Thanks for this post. I just found out that my Princeton Tec is broken and need to get a replacement. (is it just me or do the plastic parts in these break rather easily?)
The plastic parts do break. My local dive shop tends to have extra parts and usually replaces them for free. Princeton has never charged me for a repair though, whether it's in warranty or not.
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10
John Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #19
jfjf

I avoid UK (underwater Kinetics) they absolutely do not honor their warranties. I have done battle with the company a few times and went right to the top and was turned down on warranty repairs.

On the other hand, Princeton Tech. has always been great about warranty repairs.

Also, the powerful LED dive lights are very nice, the batteies last forever, the bulbs are EXTREMELY tough...
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #20
Nerka
dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I avoid UK (underwater Kinetics) they absolutely do not honor their warranties. I have done battle with the company a few times and went right to the top and was turned down on warranty repairs.

On the other hand, Princeton Tech. has always been great about warranty repairs.

Also, the powerful LED dive lights are very nice, the batteies last forever, the bulbs are EXTREMELY tough...
Funny UK has always taken care of everyone I know. I suspect some user error....
With that said get a light that can take rechargeable batteries, the lights that that CR123 look like a HUGE waste of money.

Are you looking for a nighttime main light or a daytime hole light?
Nerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #21
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
Funny UK has always taken care of everyone I know. I suspect some user error.... With that said get a light that can take rechargeable batteries, the lights that that CR123 look like a HUGE waste of money.

Are you looking for a nighttime main light or a daytime hole light?
Actually, it was not too funny to me. Internal battery posts failed ruining the light and Underwater Kinetics absolutely refused to repair, replace or provide any discount or accomodation for purchase of a new light.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #22
chuam
Marcus Chua

I have a UK Light Cannon which is like taking the sun with you on a dive. It eats batteries but the light is great. I have found that it spooks bugs on occasion though.

I found a UK eLed on a dive that had growth on it. I got home cleaned it up, put new batteries in it and it worked. No idea how long it had been underwater but it had obviously been submerged for a while due to the growth and still worked. It's a great testament to how well they hold up. It's bright and it goes through batteries slowly. It's my favorite lobster light now.

Science flies you to the moon
Religion flies you into buildings

chuam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #23
rhyne

Watershot Inc. makes really great quality lights and camera equipment. very powerful LED's. The Strykr light is high-end but amazing! so many features and quality is top notch. Their back-up LED lights are awesome too... compact and pretty easy on batteries. bright enough that i have used it as a primary light too.

http://www.watershot.com/led-lighting.html

www.BRINKexpeditions.com - 6-pack Spearfishing, fishing & Custom Charters. San Diego, CA
Your Gateway to What Lie Beyond the Shoreline

www.coroflot.com/RyanSweeney - Apparel Design & Development
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #24
Nerka
dude

Quote:
Actually, it was not too funny to me. Internal battery posts failed ruining the light and Underwater Kinetics absolutely refused to repair, replace or provide any discount or accomodation for purchase of a new light.
Funny, my dad had one of the first gen LED 8C lights and one of the battery posts was corroded. He sent it back in and they sent him the newer upgraded two LED light! I also remember a post where the guy that is selling the CR123 lights stated that UK has the best service and replaced his flooded lights.

For the record I would also look into the Princeton tec 3-LED 8C light. I think they are a good value.

Last edited by Nerka; 07-06-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Nerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #25
Joshua R.

I used to work at a dive shop and Ikelite told us "if someone brings one back just give em a new one and the shop can return the old one for a replacement in the next shipment" I've replaced mine several times and we've never had a problem. Any Ikelite dealer should be able to replace it.
Joshua R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #26
Calif_Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua R. View Post
I used to work at a dive shop and Ikelite told us "if someone brings one back just give em a new one and the shop can return the old one for a replacement in the next shipment" I've replaced mine several times and we've never had a problem. Any Ikelite dealer should be able to replace it.
Good info, thanks,if i have a problem ill see how it goes.
Calif_Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #27
Slingingsteel

I use the Sporasub flashlite. It is by far the brightest light I have ever seen/used. Its pricey but im glad I bought it.
Slingingsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:09 AM   #28
SBH20Man
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialk View Post
LED lights are good as a flood type light but do not have a good beam to penetrate through poor viz. I have had a UKD8 for about 15 years, its still going strong. I think it depends what you are using it for. Underwater Kinetics(UK) makes the best UW lights short of industrial of video lights IMO. You might want a smaller light for hole diving or clear water.
I'm going to disagree with the comment about LED's being better for flood than spot. I have a Pelican "recoil" light that is amazing. It has a single LED that fires backwards into a focusing reflector. For looking into holes it has AMAZING penetration into the gloom - much better than any xenon or other incandescent bulb that I've had.

Another note on that flooded light - many times, UK, Ikelite, Pelican, and PrincetonTec are REALLY good about replacing flooded lights. Just call their support number and see what they'll do. I mistakenly bought the non-dive version of the recoil light, then took it diving. It of course flooded. I called to complain, thinking that it was the dive version. They pointed out that it wasn't the "nemo" version and that it wasn't designed to be water proof. However, they sent me a free replacement anyway! Needless to say I immediately ordered the nemo version of the light right after that.

Today could be the best day!
SBH20Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #29
Tyler Durden
1st rule: Don't Talk.....

Quote:
I agree, UK lights suck. They're designed like crap, and their warranty sucks.

I went to the Intova 4.7 and have had zero problems. Brighter, lighter, smaller, and more focused than a similar sized UK halogen. Anodized machined aluminum housing, magnetic switch, and near the same price as a UK.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/INTT.html?&&

narrow-beam not wide angle

Take it for what it's worth, off Sebastian we rely heavily on our lights.
Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #30
Tyler Durden
1st rule: Don't Talk.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua R. View Post
I love Ikelite's PC light performance, but I've had 3 of them come apart underwater with that dumbass clamp design they have. I've tried returning mine to the dive shops but never had any luck other than having to send them in. The company did replace/repair those lights, but for the time and effort I decided to move on to the Intova.
Tyler Durden is offline   Reply With Quote