Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #16
GatorNative

Re: New hogfish regulations start 8/24/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastHunter View Post
Who puts those fish on the supermarket shelf?

They could have done one or the other, instead they went nuclear, and hosed us on two fronts. Yay for big government!
It would be interesting to know who's putting baby hogs in Publix, EastCoast. But, if there's a stack of 'em in a small Tennessee town, how many many more are out there?
And, Megabeast I'd change my vacation plans to dive with you anytime.
GatorNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #17
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

A lot are imported, the total allowable catch for both coasts is pretty small compared to other species and the quote is rarely met due to the small actual size of the commercial dive fleet.
The fishery in S. Fl s nothing like it was or should be and its hkgh time something was done.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:38 AM   #18
chapstick

They're coming from Mexico. It is somewhat dependent on the time of year, but almost all hogs are coming from Mexico. A lot of small grouper and snapper as well.
chapstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:13 PM   #19
SEA_ARCHER
The Ocean is Calling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impaler Spearguns View Post
you mean the out of town people who come to the keys for the weekend and kill all the baby fish? It's not the locals dude- it's the mainlanders . Out of town people ****ing things up for the locals should be the key west motto- since we live it every day. mini season was last week - case in point
Is this the Hawaii forum?? Unless you're native American we're all transplants here. Many of those mainlanders are also your customers unless you sell to only keys residents of 15 or more years.

Anyway saw some nice hogs today there are quite a few up here in Jupiter area but I think the previous limit of 5 was too many. 2 would have been better than 1 but with all the pressure up this way it should help them come back a bit.
SEA_ARCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 04:51 PM   #20
freedive86

I think this is a decent regulation. I agree with the size increase but maybe make it two fish instead of one. Too many people harvesting baby sized dumb delicious hogs right now.
freedive86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:03 PM   #21
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA_ARCHER View Post
Is this the Hawaii forum?? Unless you're native American we're all transplants here. Many of those mainlanders are also your customers unless you sell to only keys residents of 15 or more years.
Personally, I sell almost all my fish and lobster to local restaurants in key west. I don't mind mainlanders being my customers in that aspect since the money is staying in key west and helps all sides of the transaction(s).

What Jay said has a lot of truth to it. People who come down for the weekend to "kill it in the keys" don't respect the waters around us nearly as much as locals who have grown up in the ecosystem (a lot of locals don't either but anyway). I hear it all the time at my dive shop, I see it on instagram, and we read about it in the paper. How often do you hear about locals being caught poaching? I know it happens, but it seems like it's mainly people from Miami.... I have no problem with people coming down to the keys and getting to enjoy all it has to offer, but it sucks when people come down just to rape it and leave.

I don't want to point fingers either because I personally believe the problem is much bigger than that. Spearfishing in general has become really popular, and for goood reason it's ****ing awesome, but it comes with a cost. Obviously too many people are fishing in too small of an area and it takes a toll when the weather and fishing grounds are easily accessible by anyone with a boat. I've agreed with size limit increases and lowering the bag limit but 1 per person and it being closed half (and probably more than half) of the year is crazy.

I also have been seeing sooo many nice hogs while lobstering lately, and the other day when I went spearfishing I saw a school of 10 5+ hogs with the ring leader being at least 8 pounds 20 feet off the bottom. That would have been my best trip on hogs all summer, but of course with the warm water and grouper being in deep water and hog fish was closed and they were EVERYWHERE.