Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Tournament and Event Archives > 2006 Tournament Archives > The Southern Open State Championship 2006

The Southern Open State Championship 2006 Check here for threads about the Southern Open. Links to forms, info, etc.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-30-2005, 08:51 PM   #31
Jaizzen
Team HeadHunter

Re: Summarized Results..........

Old 07-01-2005, 11:40 AM   #32
Chad Carney
Dive Instructor & Captain

John H.,

You need to chill out!

I only expressed observations and opinions, no personal attacks. I have been respectful and congratulatory, as I was after the 2004 SBO. That thread was probably one of the best exchanges of ideas about spearfishing tournaments ever, and most of us kept out tempers in check. Many of my observations and suggestions have become realities in 2004 & early 2005.

I just told Ken Jones I'll continue my usual full page sponsorship for your club's 2005 SPO.

Once again, my congratulations to all the winners and especially the volunteers for putting on a fine tournament.

Chad Carney
Sponsor for the 2003 & 2004 SOSC, SBO, SPO, FSDA States, HDR, Key West Top Gun.
Located in Isles of Capri, FL
Charters for Spearfishing, Wrecks & Reefs in SW Florida

Last edited by Chad Carney; 07-06-2005 at 07:54 AM.
Chad Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:23 AM   #33
Spearchucker

Well said
Spearchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:35 PM   #34
bgbill

Screen,

I thought it was a great tournament, and I like the extended weigh in time, that helped a lot.

All of the tournaments are great from the SBO, SO and SPO, plus the WCC, maybe next year I will get team "Gutshot" into the Bayport tournament.

What I think is nice is that none of the Majors are exactly the same, they are all different, which makes it interesting.

I apppreciate all of you guys that put on these tournaments, it is quite a bit of work.

You can't make everyone happy, but that is life.

I thought more people would have been in the SO, but like you said, those who missed it, missed out.

I know there were quite a few good shooters that had weddings to attend to, you would think they would get their priorities in line

Thanks,

Bret
bgbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:29 PM   #35
kitefisherman
Spearboard Historian

Screen: I like all of the tournaments (SBO, SO , SPO & WCC). Every one of them is on my calendar. That said, I really like the charm of the SO. It seems to be a concentration (brotherhood) of people who tend to do all the tournaments. My friend, if you keep putting on tournaments, I'll keep driving 4 and a half hours to get to them. As far as I live away from you all, I've never had a problem finding a good ride and great people to hunt with.

I wish we had the same thing going on in my backyard. In such case, about 20 of you have serious claims to my futon. I'll never be able to repay all the hospitality you guys have shown me.

Thank you all and Happy 4th of July!
kitefisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:35 PM   #36
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitefisherman
Screen: I like all of the tournaments (SBO, SO , SPO & WCC). Every one of them is on my calendar. That said, I really like the charm of the SO. It seems to be a concentration (brotherhood) of people who tend to do all the tournaments. My friend, if you keep putting on tournaments, I'll keep driving 4 and a half hours to get to them. As far as I live away from you all, I've never had a problem finding a good ride and great people to hunt with.

I wish we had the same thing going on in my backyard. In such case, about 20 of you have serious claims to my futon. I'll never be able to repay all the hospitality you guys have shown me.

Thank you all and Happy 4th of July!
I will drink to that Kite...well said. Coming from someone else who drives hours to participate in these tourneys, I am glad someone puts them on and I have some good friends up there who don't mind putting me up for the night or putting up with me on the boats. Thanks guys!
Old 07-05-2005, 12:46 AM   #37
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

Thanks guys.....we needed that!
Screen Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 05:26 AM   #38
Don B

I would like to add my 2 cents. This was my 2nd year in a row going down for the SO, hope to make next year #3. My son and I have been treated great by EVERYBODY, and have made more than a few real friends. It's a great event with a crowd that is friendly and and almost family like.

As with any event ever put on there are people who would like to see changes made. I am no different as I would like free beer served by topless waitresses, but thats just me. And I'm sure their would be some complants , point being we can't solve everybodys problems or difficultys. I thank you guys at FSDA, did a great job, my hats off to you, and look forward to the next one.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:16 AM   #39
Old Bateman

I saw a couple of small glitches, like one of the weigh-in scales failing. But even though I was tired and salty and fishy, I enjoyed the time to talk with other spearers. Even though I didn't get home till almost midnight, I prefer the 8pm weigh-in time. Though, it might be better if it could start earlier for those already there. The format was good - I got no big fish, but filled most of my catagories, all withen 20 miles of shore, and ranked 31st in spearfishing. This format gives near shore guys a good chance of placing high. Thanks to all the sponsers for the great prizes. Between spearing, photo, and mystery tickets, I think I got over $400 in prizes. I'll be back!

http://www.fishkillaproductions.com/#
Old Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:29 AM   #40
fizisition
Official Spearboard Sponsor

I loved the new tournament format and drinking beers at Ballyhoo's wasn't too bafd either
fizisition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:13 AM   #41
RichT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bateman
I saw a couple of small glitches, like one of the weigh-in scales failing. But even though I was tired and salty and fishy, I enjoyed the time to talk with other spearers. Even though I didn't get home till almost midnight, I prefer the 8pm weigh-in time. Though, it might be better if it could start earlier for those already there. The format was good - I got no big fish, but filled most of my catagories, all withen 20 miles of shore, and ranked 31st in spearfishing. This format gives near shore guys a good chance of placing high. Thanks to all the sponsers for the great prizes. Between spearing, photo, and mystery tickets, I think I got over $400 in prizes. I'll be back!

Yeah, that sucked about the scale deciding to take a dump on tournament day. Good thing we had two eh?
We still managed to finish the whole thing in a little over two hours which I dont think is to bad.

As far as starting the weigh in early? I think its a great idea and would love to do it.
If you can provide the volunteers who are willing to not dive the tourny, set it all up, get covered in fish slime,know all species of fish,can recognize short,old,powerheaded,short gutted or improperly iced fish,dont mind dealing with one or two jerks who inevitably end up arguing with you about something and also dont mind doing all of the above for free, please send me their names and contact info so They can get signed up for next year.
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:06 PM   #42
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

By the way, I want to thank Rich, Jason, GR, and the many other volunteers that actually put this together. It really, really is heartening to see people come through the way they did.

We all agree with Mr. Bateman that we would like to have a way to start the weighin early. But, we have a rule that makes that a little tough:

Rule 27586C: "If the volunteers are going to work hard for several months to put this together, then they are going to get to dive the whole tournament, just like everyone else."
Old 07-05-2005, 11:18 PM   #43
inletsurf

hey this is the 2nd southern open I have drove 3 hrs for and as conditions had it, got a little beat up both times. But guess what...I keep on coming back...why?? because I've had a great time!! Wouldn't change a thing. Great people, fun times, FSDA rocks! Screen you are the MAN! great organizer, awesome person, and definitely a CLASS ACT. Same goes for Rich Taylor, Jason Delacruz, and all the other guys that I don't know who put this thing together. Keep it up FSDA, I'll be back next year!!!
inletsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:24 PM   #44
Old Bateman

Hey John,
If everyone will give me their best # within 20 miles of Clearwater pass next year, I'll come in early and start the weigh in. . Also, I must have the #'s before this year's St Pete Open!

http://www.fishkillaproductions.com/#
Old Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:24 PM   #45
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bateman
Hey John,
If everyone will give me their best # within 20 miles of Clearwater pass next year, I'll come in early and start the weigh in. . Also, I must have the #'s before this year's St Pete Open!
Rick, its a deal! I didnt say that they were good numbers, just that they are my best numbers.