Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
Wood Guy

Re: New 68" bluewater-with a twist!

When I was shooting the Dirty Water Rollergun, I took some 1000 frame/ sec videos as the gun was being fired. I was amazed at the turbulence in the track behind the shaft (enclosed delrin), which I took to be cavitation since there would have been no other source of bubbles. It would be really cool to see what this gun would look like under similar conditions since the vacuum would get a chance to be broken every time the shaft end exited the "speedbump", and would essentially start over when the shaft passed through the next "speedbump". Not sure how much this translates into real velocity difference, but it's an interesting discussion, nontheless. If there is a difference in velocity between an open and enclosed track, and I'm not saying there is, I would guess it would be due to this.
Wood Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
tmaas

Interesting discussion. The gun John modeled his after is mine. The "speed-bumps" are actually capture guides. The advantage of these guide is that they reduce friction on the shaft since, on my gun, the whole shaft rides on just 6 inches of guide at first and less as the shaft moves out. The gun is deadly accurate. In answer to what happens to the shaft fins is that the first guide actually holds the fins upright. The next guide uses a ramp to guide a wayward shaft upright. I looked for evidence of abrasion here and there is very little indicating that the shaft remains fairly upright.
The beauty of these guides is that they do not allow the shaft to jump out of the track when the trigger is released, if effect preventing any tendency to bend or whip. There is no need for a guide at the usual location at the end of the gun. On my gun (shown in my book Blue Water Hunting and Freediving) you can see that the last guide is at least 6 inches down the barrel.
Phil Herranan is correct to worry about over powering the stock. I use 6 bands on my gun, but the barrel is made from stainless steel (1 and 1/4") with a machined plastic dowel insert for additional support. It does not bend at all, which is another reason the gun is so accurate. Also, it is intentionally heavy to avoid gun jerk and to provide mass to the shaft.
Good luck John! I enjoyed diving with you in PV
Terry
Old 12-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
ddonnell
Davis Donnell

Terry could you post up some picture of your gun? I have two of the stocks that John Yantes had made pretty much identical to yours quite a few years back and I'm trying to figure out how much extra mass is needed on the gun so it won't destroy my hand. I think the ones I have only have enough band slots for five bands.

For anyone who wants to see the naked version of Terry's gun I'll post up some photos once I get home.

Sweet build John. I had never thought of using the design in an all wood format. Very creative!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #19
KelpChaka

John, the look is amazing. I like Terry's and Phil's comments. It's this kind of content and guys like you, John that make spearing such a great experience! Can't wait to see you kill it in Panama.
KelpChaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
Alashaman
PB 66Lbs WSB

Wow, that thing is unreal. Looks so nice with the finish completed on it. I agree I like it with the riser on the bands.
Alashaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #21
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

But wait. Can we talk about the view from your balcony???!? Someone is living right!!!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #22
The Jewish Assassin

Sick gun! That thing is wacky, crazy and awesome all at the same time
The Jewish Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #23
malibujohn

[quote=Behslayer;1760332]This gun keeps me thinking. Band raisers would be great, I was thinking about that last night, imagining what those new awesome Neptonics Band Raisers might do the lay of the bands. Band raisers would eliminate the downward vector and keep the pull more inline. Also this would keep the bands on top of your waves.

Definately a good call. Drilled and inserted a 3/8 piece of stainless dowel and added 3 independent rollers per side (flat), to help the bands around the transition point. Loaded up 5 bands on it to check the flex as Phil suggested and there was absolutely no flex whatsoever!!
Time for epoxy and test firing. Will report back once I pull the trigger on it
Click image for larger version

Name:	rllr3.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	183225Click image for larger version

Name:	rllr4.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	183226Click image for larger version

Name:	rllrs1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	183227Click image for larger version

Name:	rllr2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	183228
malibujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #24
apeogre

Those band raisers look to be the dog bollocks. Absolute straight pull. Well done!
apeogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #25
Behslayer

Wow, those are nice band raisers. I like the Rollers. Those lay the bands perfect.

I'd like to see the original gun this was modeled after if Dr. Maas has a picture?

The concept is very cool and the idea of replacing a constant ET with capture guides is interesting as there are some inherent problems with Full constant ET that could be solved by using pieces of composite rather than a full composite rail.

Some of those angles do make me nervous thinking of 6 bands and all wood construction. But maybe the Shaft itself adds some to the integrity of the gun stock when it's loaded.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote