Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
grey2112

Hypothetical - you come up, boat gone, all alone

Do you ditch your weights? Ditch your tank? Obviously, hopefully, you filed a float plan, have a surface marker buoy, etc.

Just wondering what to do gear-wise with regards to what to keep on you and what to ditch for maximum chance of survival.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
Riptide1

Re: Hypothetical - you come up, boat gone, all alone

No problem, engage the PLB and wait for S&R.

I'm not ditching anything until it becomes useless.
Riptide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
SEATUX

Not Hypothetical for me..it happened, to ME!
It's a long story....nothing on the horizon, but horizon!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:00 PM   #4
CuzzA

I've thought about this and concluded if conditions were good, I would inflate my wing and remove my rig so I could sit on it like a raft. I read an article last year of a guy doing this off the coast of Australia, IIRC. Seems like a good idea to get your dangling legs out of the water.

I usually have two SMBs (4' and 8') and I once deployed both after realizing no one could see the 4 footer. Admittedly it was nice to hang my gun off the 8 and hang my arms over the 4 like a pool noodle as I waited.

I've been looking for a reason to ditch that 4 footer, but after that day I cant bring myself to do it. It was nice especially with a back inflate BC that wants to push you forward.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzA View Post
I've thought about this and concluded if conditions were good, I would inflate my wing and remove my rig so I could sit on it like a raft. I read an article last year of a guy doing this off the coast of Australia, IIRC. Seems like a good idea to get your dangling legs out of the water.

I usually have two SMBs (4' and 8') and I once deployed both after realizing no one could see the 4 footer. Admittedly it was nice to hang my gun off the 8 and hang my arms over the 4 like a pool noodle as I waited.

I've been looking for a reason to ditch that 4 footer, but after that day I cant bring myself to do it. It was nice especially with a back inflate BC that wants to push you forward.
I remember that day - LOL

Wondering if adding some reflective tape to the SMB might not be a bad idea. Also wondering if there is a beacon light that can survive 100+ foot dives is out there to add to the BC.

Of course, having a good crew and boat captain as well as always having someone up top is not a bad thing
Old 08-26-2018, 05:14 PM   #6
jfjf

I like to think that my dive light (which has a strobe mode) would attract attention after dark from a good distance away - especially aircraft - assuming the weather is clear. I think it is important to have a light (or two).

There are now available very small LED lights that are bright and could easily be stashed in the bottom of a BC pocket and tied in with a string.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
sharpshooter

My Big Blue light has 4 levels of light intensity and SOS mode. I also, carry the Reach Me PLB in a old dive light. Plus, a small signal mirror. My HD amber lenses on my mask reflects light pretty good too.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:43 PM   #8
CuzzA

Does the Coast Guard search at night during lost diver incidents?

For the record, I would expect my crew to look at night. I always carry a light as well.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 10:34 PM   #9
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Quote:
Does the Coast Guard search at night during lost diver incidents?
Yep, if no storms and safe.

It's the best time for CG helo's/ Planes, to look because it provides the highest contrast for FLIR to see a warm head against a cool water reflection.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:40 PM   #10
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Quote:
...For the record, I would expect my crew to look ..
FYI,,your crew may be ordered to back off in a search,,,That's usually when our boat's radio suddenly has static and the reply can be garbled. But most often the radio works just fine.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:37 AM   #11
Behslayer

Happened to a friend of mine. He made the decision to ditch all his gear including his speargun. Kept his Knife, Mask, Fins, and started Freestyle swimming through the night. He figured it was 12 miles but he was swimming sideways to a current sweeping him out. If he missed the target he would be screwed. He started to swim at dusk. He saw a small fishing boat light near the shore at 4am and was rescued. He said he kept his knife incase sharks came for him he was going to kill himself with it. He's an excellent swimmer.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:35 PM   #12
Eibwen

A wise man on my boat today suggested tying off your reel to your tank & dropping it to let it act as an anchor which would be #2 to actually diving down & tying your reel line off to something solid on the bottom to keep you from drifting further.
Eibwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:15 AM   #13
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibwen View Post
A wise man on my boat today suggested tying off your reel to your tank & dropping it to let it act as an anchor which would be #2 to actually diving down & tying your reel line off to something solid on the bottom to keep you from drifting further.
I know that guy!

I think a very good idea since it would keep you from drifting, which compounds the problem of locating you after many hours. Also an SMB, light sticks, etc. help the searchers find you.