Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
Liveclean

Help on ears, essential oils?

Today was the first time I went out and had no ability to clear on my right side ear. My allergies have been flaring. I took a benedryl in the morning then a clartin d and used afrin just before making the sinuses pretty clear and still no go. I have heard about using essential oils in the ears? Which ones? Any other suggestions? I was going to load ibro, to see if it can get some inflammation down? Open to suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Liveclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #2
RBainer

Re: Help on ears, essential oils?

alcohol / vinegar mix works very well for clogged ears and also help prevent ear infections

FII. Level 2 Cert
50M Diver
RBainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #3
Vulkanman

I use a 50/50 solution of 1% peroxide and almond oil, also sold as sweet oil. It seems to help with ear aches & makes it easy to equalize.
Vulkanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
Man-O-War
Lothario

Stop all dairy foods and it will clear up on its own. Milk, cheese, yogurt, etc....

Loading on meds is last resort
Man-O-War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #5
Vulkanman

Not everyone has allergies to dairy products.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:37 PM   #6
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

Eating dairy products makes it harder to clear.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #7
Man-O-War
Lothario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulkanman View Post
Not everyone has allergies to dairy products.
Ear wax is essential in protecting and lubricating ear drum, peroxide washes it out and leaves it exposed to bacteria and cold water.
Dairy in all humans causes inflammation and swelling of the sinuses. This in return closes up eustachian tube by expanding surrounding tissue, or packs it with mucus as you equalize. Once tube is obstructed, you can forget depth.
Man-O-War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #8
Vulkanman

Well, now I guess I'll have to find a new hobby. "Dairy in all humans causes inflammation and swelling of the sinuses" ???

I guess that's it then.

Are you sure you didn't mean "Dairy may cause inflammation and swelling of the sinuses in humans" ?? Because that would, you know, sound a lot more rational & less presumptive.

I get the whole argument that you should never put anything in your ear that's smaller than your elbow, and that earwax has a purpose & all that. Really. I don't even disagree. Well, very much that is. But some people do get ear infections and have occasionally experienced more-than-normal earwax production, and even get foreign objects like bits of seaweed in their ears that may not want to adhere to the "always" & "never" aspects of what you're saying. The whole "Dairy is evil" line turns the rest into white noise, not everyone reacts to dairy products in any noticeable way.

https://fitnessreloaded.com/inflammation-dairy/
Old 07-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #9
Thiofjappekat

Your problem clearing is not outside of your ears, it is within your middle ear and eustachian tubes.

Some people suggest that dairy causes more mucus production, which could theoretically worsen congestion. Less likely, however.

However, your problem is more than likely simple congestion from a mild cold, or a seasonal allergy issue.

A cocktail of Sudafed, Afrin, Allegra(or Claritin) and oral prednisone (a short course) is often most effective.
Thiofjappekat is offline   Reply With Quote