Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #1
OBLIGATED

Parrots

My Bloodhound/Redbone mut Rebel passed the other day and my canoeing buddy Aliya(Australlian Sheperd) just died from snake bite the other night.Im thinking of a Blue and Gold or Greenwing Macaw baby.Something I wont have to bury in 12-15 years after getting attached.Im done with dogs.
Anyone have advice on Macaws or possibly a Cockatoo for a family pet?
Old 10-24-2016, 10:39 PM   #2
OBLIGATED

Re: Parrots

https://youtu.be/cJOZp2ZftCw

I can imagine the words a parrot would learn here.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:52 PM   #3
OBLIGATED

https://youtu.be/H8Y9KX8GYAk

I looked at adopting a breeder Macaw years ago.Breeders are NOT cuddly pets.I finally stopped bleeding and still had my fingers.Beautiful bird but I couldn't take the chance of my youngest losing a few fingers.Owners were not nice people but I wanted a pet not a zoo animal stuck in a cage.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:40 PM   #4
Oldsarge
Registered Bwana

Hookbills are such social birds that they need to be kept in pairs. Otherwise there is a good chance that they will pine away, pick out all their feathers and be terminally miserable unless you spend all your time with them. Either get two or don't get any.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:56 AM   #5
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

Once my dog is gone I dont think I will get another. Too attached to them and I will be ready to travel a lot more with the kids being gone and I feel too guilty leaving them.
I am not a cat person but that might be the ticket since they are really self sufficiant for a few days or longer. My neighbor has one that thinks he is a dog. pretty cool.

I don't get the caged animal thing?? Birds, lizards, whatever, if it has to be in a cage its not that much fun, just my opinion though.

So sorry to hear about your dogs. Like losing a family member.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
diverlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBLIGATED View Post
My Bloodhound/Redbone mut Rebel passed the other day and my canoeing buddy Aliya(Australlian Sheperd) just died from snake bite the other night.Im thinking of a Blue and Gold or Greenwing Macaw baby.Something I wont have to bury in 12-15 years after getting attached.Im done with dogs.
Anyone have advice on Macaws or possibly a Cockatoo for a family pet?
You want a bird that is very personable, get a Cockatoo. I have a female that is now 12 years old, raised from a baby bird. She is the most loving of any kind of animal, wants to hang out with you ALL the time, very demanding but extremely loyal to you. Lots more to say but I suggest you go online for more info. I also have a friend who has 3 Macaws. While very beautiful birds, they are more stand-offish and not nearly as friendly as the cockatoos.
diverlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Please be very careful.

Birds are a handful - and a life time commitment even for a young person. odds are that your bird will outlive you - and you will have to arrange for its care after your death.

Birds can be amazing, or a total pain and if you havent worked with parrots before you might not realize this yet. There's also a chance that boredom or attitude will make the bird be not as much fun as they seem.

Lastly, birds can become defensive, or just be assholes that dislike certain people or certain kinds of people (men, women) etc.

A bird requires a huge level of dedication, and I would compare it more to taking care of your elderly, crabby, senile mother in law rather than having a pet.

There is a chance that it works out perfectly. But having dealt with a lot of people in bird care I can attest to the fact that it is not always that way, and is always a huge commitment, regardless of what your relationship with the bird will end up being.

Dart frogs are a great hobby as are aquariums. And much less constant work and long term commitment than a bird. Be careful. The above hobbies are addictive.

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #8
riplipper
Relax, a beer will help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherflesh View Post
Please be very careful.

Birds are a handful - and a life time commitment even for a young person. odds are that your bird will outlive you - and you will have to arrange for its care after your death.

A bird requires a huge level of dedication, and I would compare it more to taking care of your elderly, crabby, senile mother in law rather than having a pet. .
This is exactly how my neighbor feels about the two parots he has. I do not know what kind they are but they are big beautiful birds and make some god aweful noises...all hours of the night and day. My neighbor has had them for 30 years or so and has come to hate them. He is 72 and almost daily says "those F***ing things are going to out live me"
Old 10-25-2016, 01:10 PM   #9
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Definitely noisy. It will drive you crazy if you get a noisy one w/ a bad attitude.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #10
Fox55

If you're going to go with a bird of any breed make sure it's hand-fed it makes a huge difference. I have raised love birds finches sun conures and they all will drive you mad. I love my Blue Tick hounds and Beagle and when they passed saying I won't replace them is like saying I'll never get a new speargun each one has its own quirks and that's what makes them special. Give yourself a little time before you do anything because all birds are noisy
Fox55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
Shorediver

African grey parrots are a good choice for those who have enough time to raise these birds.
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #12
OBLIGATED

Thanks for the replies.We have a breeder near here I want to visit to find a bird that's friendly.I have a 15 yr old still at home and My older son lives about 4 acres away so the bird wont get lonely or have issues when I croak out.
My oldest son has a Pitbull kennel and is bringing a 8 month old female up here.I guess Ill take her on the boat with me and hang out till I get a feathered friend.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #13
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by riplipper View Post
This is exactly how my neighbor feels about the two parots he has. I do not know what kind they are but they are big beautiful birds and make some god aweful noises...all hours of the night and day. My neighbor has had them for 30 years or so and has come to hate them. He is 72 and almost daily says "those F***ing things are going to out live me"
I would rather they outlive me.For some reason animals bond with me which I love but when they pass its too damn depressing.A parrot should outlive me and be able to go to one of my boys which the bird will know.
I don't mind the noise.Im used to Cuban relatives talking loud and fast
Old 10-26-2016, 01:42 PM   #14
OBLIGATED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherflesh View Post
Please be very careful.

Birds can be amazing, or a total pain and if you havent worked with parrots before you might not realize this yet. There's also a chance that boredom or attitude will make the bird be not as much fun as they seem.

Lastly, birds can become defensive, or just be assholes that dislike certain people or certain kinds of people (men, women) etc.

A bird requires a huge level of dedication, and I would compare it more to taking care of your elderly, crabby, senile mother in law rather than having a pet.

There is a chance that it works out perfectly. But having dealt with a lot of people in bird care I can attest to the fact that it is not always that way, and is always a huge commitment, regardless of what your relationship with the bird will end up being.

Dart frogs are a great hobby as are aquariums. And much less constant work and long term commitment than a bird. Be careful. The above hobbies are addictive.
Buddy of mine collected reptiles.He had some hot snakes and several of the dart frogs.One of my buddies had an albino Cobra that gave him a bite that wasn't full venom but far from a dry bite.He was lucky to live and tell the story.He also didn't have a permit which you need in Floridah.Ill work with pissed off big cats before playing with hot snakes.Ive had several saltwater tanks and will be putting in a Koi pond once my hot tub is finally in.
I just want a pet I can interact with and not see it get old and die in 12 years.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:55 PM   #15
Fox55

I'd have to agree African Greys are pretty cool birds I've had fed two of them. my neighbor has one out on their porch during the Spring. it was her dad's and the bird Laughs just like her dad
Fox55 is offline   Reply With Quote