Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-12-2017, 12:12 AM   #16
Mr. Sunshine

Re: NEW Spiny Lobster Commission Approved by Governor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearthebigones View Post
Because most of the commercially caught lobsters in California are sold to China. They don't sell California lobsters in Californian restaurants anymore because they can get more money by selling it to China.

Kinda sucks when your state's natural resource is getting shipped overseas just so a few people can profit from it. It's supposed to be a resource that all of California enjoys. Not just a few commercial fishermen.
What he said. They eat our spiny lobster and sell us fish farmed in pig waste or worse. Not a good trade. Not against a sustainable commercial fishery for a US market. They can eat their own tilapia.
Mr. Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:19 AM   #17
AJP
Reluctant User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sunshine View Post
They eat our spiny lobster and sell us fish farmed in pig waste or worse. Not a good trade. Not against a sustainable commercial fishery for a US market. They can eat their own tilapia.
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #18
aus
squid

Quote:
Ban the commercial sale of CA lobster outside of the US.
hmm lets see keep selling to asia for $22-$25 a pound, or sell to california restaurants who would probably only pay what, 10 bucks? Wait that wouldn't even work cause they're buying lobsters from the east coast for what, 4-5 bucks a pound?
aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #19
Mr. Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
hmm lets see keep selling to asia for $22-$25 a pound, or sell to california restaurants who would probably only pay what, 10 bucks? Wait that wouldn't even work cause they're buying lobsters from the east coast for what, 4-5 bucks a pound?
Asian countries manipulating the crap out of their currency (printing money) then buying wild caught CA game with it. Pretty stupid plan for us. If there is a smaller US market for CA lobsters and we don't allow export, maybe there won't be 500 traps out where you can beach dive. Maybe there would be a few legals past the first couple weeks of the season. Maybe you would see more CA restaurants serving it like back on the east coast.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #20
aus
squid

Quote:
Asian countries manipulating the crap out of their currency (printing money) then buying wild caught CA game with it. Pretty stupid plan for us. If there is a smaller US market for CA lobsters and we don't allow export, maybe there won't be 500 traps out where you can beach dive. Maybe there would be a few legals past the first couple weeks of the season. Maybe you would see more CA restaurants serving it like back on the east coast.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$
aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:28 PM   #21
Mr. Sunshine

Quote:
$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I'm fine if our lobster 'fishermen' figure out how to farm lobsters on land and sell them to China for $20/lb. That's commerce. Wild caught game.... I don't think so.

China can have our lobsters when they are willing to sell us panda meat for $20/lb.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #22
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
It's not our responsibility to make sure commercial lobster fisherman make money. This is a moral issue.

Sunshine it right. Does it make sense to export our local treasures to China so a couple dozen people can make money off it? Or does it make more sense to keep that treasure local so the people of the state can enjoy their resources.

With this new Commission, the commercial guys should figure out a way to make a living AND keep the resource local. With what people pay for lobster in a restaurant, I'm sure there's enough money to be made...

People in California are interested in LOCAL products. They would certainly spend a little more $$$ to buy local lobster over that flown in from the East Coast.

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #23
carrasco

California Spiny Lobster at $20 Lb? Check out the Redondo Beach Fish Market near the pier. More like $45 Lb.
I have been diving for a while now and "Maybe there would be a few legals past the first couple weeks of the season" is right.

Between the MPLA's and commercial pressure on the resource, there is very little left in way of legal lobsters.

Making matters worse, O.C. divers are all over the LB/LA area- albeit mostly skunking out.

-Stay off my spots!!!!

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:37 PM   #24
CDMdeepbreather

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrasco View Post
California Spiny Lobster at $20 Lb? Check out the Redondo Beach Fish Market near the pier. More like $45 Lb.
I have been diving for a while now and "Maybe there would be a few legals past the first couple weeks of the season" is right.

Between the MPLA's and commercial pressure on the resource, there is very little left in way of legal lobsters.

Making matters worse, O.C. divers are all over the LB/LA area- albeit mostly skunking out.

-Stay off my spots!!!!
Lol, Carrasco...you should come down to OC on any given Saturday, and count the divers.

To give you a little more color; on Lobster Opener morning this year, I pulled up to the parking lot at the spot. This spot is a long kick from shore (relative to other spots in OC), and is not a large area...I'd say the reef is size of 2-3 basketball courts combined (basically getting at the fact that it's a mediocre, and harder to get to spot). Upon arrival at 5:45am, there were 5 SUV's already parked...making for 6 freedivers (including myself), and 2 scuba…and then a skiff parked out on the reef with another 3 divers on it (normally I would have gone somewhere else, but all the other spots I passed on the way already had numerous diver suiting up!). That totals 11 divers, on one of the less stellar reefs in OC, over about a 2hr period (not including the 3 more divers I saw getting in upon my exit @ 8:30am). Made me wonder; how many total people hit that spot over the course of the entire opening day? 25? 30? How many days can a reef of that size sustain an avg of 5-15 divers hammering it for lobster, before all the lobster are gone? Oh, and by the way...on that opening morning, there were already 50+ trap bouys set around the reef. Sooooo much pressure.

What am I getting at here? Not really sure, just a rant that could take several different paths. For one, its apparent in OC that diving (read: macho spearfishing) is getting mega mega popular...and for good reason...it's fun as F. I could go into all of the more esoteric reasons I enjoy it, but “fun” is definitely one of them, so I’m not going to hate on all these people seeking the same “fun” by diving the same spot I am. That would be a double standard. I find it hilarious when “professional” spearo’s/“hardcore” spearo’s/spearfishing brand & shop owners (aka the “influencers” of the sport) flood Instagram with rad pictures of how much fun they’re having slaying big fish…while in the same post including a caption that bashes newbies and “kooks”, or is hyper-protective over a “spot”…lol BRUH…one of the reasons all these newbie/kooks are getting into it is b/c you’re selling the dream on social media!!! Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Having grown up and surfed in San Clemente for the last 30 years (cuz its FUN), I sorta see diving taking the “Initial-discovery>expansion>fully-saturated” path that surfing has in So-Cal. Personally, I’m going to deal with it, and be friendly to new divers, and spread some sustainable, respectful ethics wherever possible. I think the presence of respect/sustainable practices will bode well for the California spearfishing community in the long run (go surf head high Lowers on a Saturday at 9am and you’ll see what lack of respect looks like…not good!).

In summary; OC is crowded, OC dive spots are getting more crowded, don’t brag on social media if you can’t handle the consequences, respect gets respect, I’m a kook, kooks need love too!

SORRY FOR THE DERAIL BUT GOTTA STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT!

Last edited by CDMdeepbreather; 10-13-2017 at 05:57 PM. Reason: stuffs
CDMdeepbreather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #25
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMdeepbreather View Post
Lol, Carrasco...you should come down to OC on any given Saturday, and count the divers.

To give you a little more color; on Lobster Opener morning this year, I pulled up to the parking lot at the spot. This spot is a long kick from shore (relative to other spots in OC), and is not a large area...I'd say the reef is size of 2-3 basketball courts combined (basically getting at the fact that it's a mediocre, and harder to get to spot). Upon arrival at 5:45am, there were 5 SUV's already parked...making for 6 freedivers (including myself), and 2 scuba…and then a skiff parked out on the reef with another 3 divers on it (normally I would have gone somewhere else, but all the other spots I passed on the way already had numerous diver suiting up!). That totals 11 divers, on one of the less stellar reefs in OC, over about a 2hr period (not including the 3 more divers I saw getting in upon my exit @ 8:30am). Made me wonder; how many total people hit that spot over the course of the entire opening day? 25? 30? How many days can a reef of that size sustain an avg of 5-15 divers hammering it for lobster, before all the lobster are gone? Oh, and by the way...on that opening morning, there were already 50+ trap bouys set around the reef. Sooooo much pressure.

What am I getting at here? Not really sure, just a rant that could take several different paths. For one, its apparent in OC that diving (read: macho spearfishing) is getting mega mega popular...and for good reason...it's fun as F. I could go into all of the more esoteric reasons I enjoy it, but “fun” is definitely one of them, so I’m not going to hate on all these people seeking the same “fun” by diving the same spot I am. That would be a double standard. I find it hilarious when “professional” spearo’s/“hardcore” spearo’s/spearfishing brand & shop owners (aka the “influencers” of the sport) flood Instagram with rad pictures of how much fun they’re having slaying big fish…while in the same post including a caption that bashes newbies and “kooks”, or is hyper-protective over a “spot”…lol BRUH…one of the reasons all these newbie/kooks are getting into it is b/c you’re selling the dream on social media!!! Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Having grown up and surfed in San Clemente for the last 30 years (cuz its FUN), I sorta see diving taking the “Initial-discovery>expansion>fully-saturated” path that surfing has in So-Cal. Personally, I’m going to deal with it, and be friendly to new divers, and spread some sustainable, respectful ethics wherever possible. I think the presence of respect/sustainable practices will bode well for the California spearfishing community in the long run (go surf head high Lowers on a Saturday at 9am and you’ll see what lack of respect looks like…not good!).

In summary; OC is crowded, OC dive spots are getting more crowded, don’t brag on social media if you can’t handle the consequences, respect gets respect, I’m a kook, kooks need love too!

SORRY FOR THE DERAIL BUT GOTTA STRIKE WHILE THE IRON IS HOT!
wow and I thought opening day/mini season was bad in the Keys
Old 10-13-2017, 11:29 PM   #26
HEX
Hector F.

I agree, commercial guys need to find a different way to market their catch to earn top dollar here in California and surrounding states. I hate to see our local California spiny's go to Asia. This resource needs to stay here and allow more of us to use the resource whether it be buying it or for the recreational fishery. Here's an idea, label it super ultra organic free range non GMO vegan lobster and these Cali folk will eat that shit up. Maybe sell it to Whole Foods, Lassen's, & Sprouts? Just Sayin'.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #27
Barley

Don't forget to label it "Gluten Free" too.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:22 PM   #28
Justice Jonez

So what do we do? What are the steps needed to change the commercial lobster industry so Californians only benefit from it? Even just a quarter mile out boundary so us recreational guys can harvest some bugs would make a huge difference...
Justice Jonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:49 AM   #29
AJP
Reluctant User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Jonez View Post
So what do we do? What are the steps needed to change the commercial lobster industry so Californians only benefit from it?
Not vote a sack of shit like Assemblymember Monique Limón into public office...

AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #30
Pfish

Drain the swamp. Drain the Republicans and Democrats. They both suck. All incumbents out!