Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Hawaiian Islands

Hawaiian Islands Aloha - Paradise exists for the shooters of the Hawaiian Islands

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-19-2004, 04:25 AM   #1
LutzSpearo

Types of Kumu

I know there are a few different types of goatfish, but do they all taste the same? If not, which ones are best. And what is an average weight/length. Any idea what some record size ones are? Thanks...
LutzSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:11 AM   #2
Stodelle
www.savestodysbrain.com

**Unfortunately, the photo links won't pull the images automatically. I think the website doesn't allow photo links***
The Goatfish Family in Hawaii is called Weke (pronounce veh-kay). In the Hawaiian Fishing regs, you will see the goats referred to as Weke for certain species. If a Goatfish is under 7", it is called Oama (Oh-ah-ma).

The most common goats seen are the Yellow Stripe goat (can attain nearly 16"- but averages 8"-10" w/no size limit)

The next most common is the Yellowtail Goat which can attain nearly 14" but averages 7-8"

The most sought after of the goatfish is the Kumu which is the Whitesaddle Goat. It is red/white and can attain almost 14". Current Hawaii record is 5.51#'s. Minimum size for taking is 10"

The Munu or Doublebar Goatfish, looks very similar to the Moano underwater, but the white patches are in different areas. It can attain nearly 13". Hawaii State Record is 3#'s. It averages around 6-8" and falls under the 7" rule.

There are a few more, that I can't find pics of right now, but they include the Moano Kea/Ukali or reffered to as "Joe's" which are a blue and yellow color. Current Hawaii Spearing Record is 5.64#'s.

Goatfish are a somehwat boney fish in the smaller sizes. the bigger they get, the better for actually filetting. You can still eat the small ones, and some swear the smaller taste better than the bigs (I agree). The fish is usually cooked whole (after scaled and cleaned), then steamed or fried and eaten with chopsticks. It actually makes for a nice dinner presentation when serving the whole fish in that style!

Warning:The bandtail, or flagtail which is a silver white with a black and white stripe tail is called the Obake Weke or Nightmare goatfish. It is said that if you eat the head of this fish, the toxins inside cause hallucinations. I know some swear it is similar to really potent weed, while others say it is like a short term acid trip. Either way, play it safe and avoid it!

Hope that helps. For reference sources, I used the Shore Fishes of Hawaii book by John Randall, and the Coral Reef Network for fish photos. The Hawaii State Spearfishing Records are from the Hawaii Skin Diver Magazine. The averages are the rough size estimates of the ones I have seen while diving. I dive 4-5 times a week for work, and 2-3 times for spearing which is why I feel they are fairly rough "average estimates" for the island of Maui. Of course each island, or dive site may be more or less.

Aloha!

Last edited by Stodelle; 10-19-2004 at 11:25 AM.
Stodelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 01:19 PM   #3
uluabusta

The goatfish family here consists of the kumu, moana kali, moana, red weke, bandtail or obake weke, white weke, malu and a type of moana w/ a huge head and fat lips nicknamed "joe". Although they all have whiskers (hence the name goatfish) they all have distinct colors or patterns. They are all tasty fish but the kumu and moana kali are often the most sought after because it does tend to taste a little different from the others. Because the kumu is so sought after the legal take size is 10" compared to 7" for other goatfish. The bandtail or obake weke is the least hunted or taken because it is rumored to cause hallucinations if the head or too much is eaten. We've eaten those with no problems so I will take those since most of the ones I see here are pretty big.
uluabusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 03:05 PM   #4
LutzSpearo

Thanks guys, great info!
Old 10-21-2004, 01:12 PM   #5
SpearDiverTampa
Controversial User

Send a message via AIM to SpearDiverTampa
Quote:
Originally posted by Stodelle
[B It is said that if you eat the head of this fish, the toxins inside cause hallucinations. I know some swear it is similar to really potent weed, while others say it is like a short term acid trip.
[/b]
Damn, we dont have any of those in Tampa. Sounds like a good time
SpearDiverTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:58 PM   #6
from the sea
HardCoreDeepSeaDiver

Send a message via AIM to from the sea Send a message via Yahoo to from the sea
lol
cop-whats a matter with you?
spearfisherman- i just ate too much goat fish
cop-yeah right, what you on?
spearfisherman-seariously i just ate too much fish
cop-im gonna take you in for public intoxifacation
spearfisherman-what?
cop (comenceing to beat him with a billy clup) damn hippy i dont need no back talk!
Old 10-27-2004, 10:48 PM   #7
Sheri
So Little Time

Here's a moana kali. We had it steamed whole, and it was delicious!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stpete 018ps1.jpg
Views:	978
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	12180  
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:56 PM   #8
Sheri
So Little Time

You would not think of goatfish as being a beautiful fish, but this picture really shows it's colors.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stpete 021ps2.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	12181  
Sheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:15 AM   #9
Stodelle
www.savestodysbrain.com

Geez Sheri....That is a pretty good sized fish!!! I don't think I've seen one that big here on Maui. I'm sure they're there, I just haven't found them yet. I'll just have to keep checking my Kumu holes and hope one is shacking up with the reds!!!
Old 10-29-2004, 03:37 PM   #10
hilodiver

Send a message via Yahoo to hilodiver
Although there are lots of small ones, it's rare to see a moana kali that's big enough to take around here in Hilo. When I do find them, they're usually swimming with a single Papio.
hilodiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 10:23 PM   #11
Stodelle
www.savestodysbrain.com

Hmm....that would be a difficult decision. A legal Moana Kali or a Papio!
Old 11-03-2004, 02:37 AM   #12
LutzSpearo

Nice one Sheri!
Old 11-03-2004, 06:42 AM   #13
uluapoundr

Nice Kali Sheri. Now that I've moved from Oahu to the Big Island, I'm excited about spearing better size goats. I've caught a bunch of 3-4 pounders on the boat in about 80ft water. One day I'll get my friend to let me jump in a spear a few.

This is a pic of one of the biggest Kumu I've speared yet, one of three dives in the last three months. I need to get in the water real soon. I find myself practicing breathold in the shower since I'm so deprived of spearfishing. Sorry about the blurry camera phone pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	laron 10-10-04.jpg
Views:	1469
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	12376  
uluapoundr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:09 PM   #14
uluabusta

Howzit,
Nice stringer. When I was younger, my cousins and I used to dive along the high cliffs at South Point while my father and uncles were fishing near the ulua rock. There was a lot of good sized game there and we always picked up at least one ulua sized omilu, big uhu and loads of aholehole and menpachi. We used to see ono near shore once in awhile and several times while swimming back to the rock we saw monster sized white ulua but we were only using hinge guns back then. By the way have you started up shorecasting again since you moved to the Big Island? There are so many good places to go there.
uluabusta is offline   Reply With Quote