Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Spearforfun

Exclamation Children's Pool- Big Announcement!!

Many of you are well aware of the sad saga of the Children's Pool. Eco-groups and "friends of the seals" have orchestrated a campaign of harassment and intimidation against divers, fishermen and the beach-going public for over a decade now. Actions such as throwing rocks, spitting, stealing, vandalizing, punching, shoving, yelling profanity and even assaults with a stun gun perpetrated by animal-extremists against beach-goers and tourists are commonplace and often ignored by the police and the City of San Diego. Additionally, despite court orders and in violation of state law, the City of San Diego has continuously ignored its obligations to the citizens of the State of California and residents of San Diego. These obligations are set-out in the so-called Children's Pool Trust and the State Constitution. Among these obligations is the guaranteed right of "convenient access" to the Children's Pool beach for fishermen. Despite this constitutional right to access, the City has, in the past, closed this beach and continues to post rope barriers and warnings across the beach. The City has even sought to outright close the beach and pool for part of the year in violation of State law and the Constitution.

Unfortunately, what was once recognized as a true San Diego treasure and originally built primarily for a Children's bathing pool and playground has been neglected and virtually destroyed. Hollywood once shot movies there. Detroit shot a car commercial at the Children's Pool. The first permanent San Diego Lifeguard Station was constructed there. National Geographic once wrote of the Children's Pool: "Even Alice, fresh from Wonderland, would have gasped at the landscape spread below me". However, we have a lifeguard station which has been condemned. We have "port-a potties" on the sidewalk. The sea wall and stairs are literally crumbling. The cliff-side has collapsed onto the beach and undermined the sidewalk. Extremists populate the sidewalk shouting obscenities at anyone with the temerity to step foot on the beach. The City Police Department has a special "policy" not to enforce many City codes and ordinances at the Children's Pool. The sand is polluted with seal feces. This San Diego treasure has nearly been lost.

Fortunately, unlike the politicians who bow down to the animal extremists, brave individuals have been willing to take a stand. Attorney Paul Kennerson fought for years in court to have the fact recognized that the City of San Diego breached its obligations to the citizens of this State and to have the Children's Pool restored. On the eve of victory, the legislature modified the trust to allow the seals to remain at the Children's Pool at the discretion of the City. However, this same State action re-affirmed the rights of the citizens of this State to have "convenient access" and safe facilities at the Children's Pool. The City let the seals stay but never improved access or improved the facilities. Instead, the City has actually let the situation get worse and tried to close the beach entirely. Therefore, a new plaintiff has stepped forward represented by Paul Kennerson to make a claim against the City of San Diego. Just as the Supreme Court previously recognized that the City had neglected its duties to the citizens of the State, we expect that either the City will restore beach access and restore the facilities at the Children's Pool or once again be found negligent by the Courts.

This fight has entered a new and final phase. The City is running out of excuses for breaching its obligations. Last time, it cost the City almost $1 million. This time we will win. We need your help. The Council of Divers and the Friends of the Children's Pool need donations to help hold the City accountable. Please visit http://www.friendsofthechildrenspool.com/ for information. Please consider a donation. It is desperately needed. Any new/lightly used dive gear can also be donated. Please contact me to find out how you can help.
Spearforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Spearforfun

Re: Children's Pool- Big Announcement!!

I should note that many of you have already helped out in so many ways..... big and small. We finally found a lawyer willing and able to represent us and take on the City. He has a great track record but we need help. Although this fight will never come close to being as expensive as the MLPA case, it still costs money and we need help!
Old 03-07-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
unkabonka

Wonderful Justin! Thank you for your tireless efforts!

And thank you to Paul Kennerson and this new plaintiff that are continuing the fight. I am very grateful they are representing the interests of us spearfisherman in this new claim/lawsuit.
unkabonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
toptuna

It's on you guys. It's been hard to bite my lip for so long but thanks to many of you and justin and Volker this is all coming to fruition.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Spearforfun

And you all thought this stalemate would go on forever......
Old 03-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
benthosslayer

That is great...wish I could toss some coin into this one, maybe I'll turn the "can's in and donate the money from that, "thank you CRV". Keep up the great work lawyers aren't cheep and it's great to have one passionate about what they are fighting for. By the way...love that avator...... IF the city finally gives way, restoring part of that area could be taken on by the Boy Scouts, it would make a great Eagle Scout project and ensure that the area is well kept for future use. Many years ago for my ES project, we had over 100 volunteers show up and help, everyone from your everage joe, to fire fighters, police and ems. Over 3,000 hours were donated and the troop keep up the work, providing the service continually. I'd love to get some video or pictures of the enviros harrasing the scouts and get that in the local papers to show the "true" character of the nuts around there.
benthosslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Doing Tables

Maybe I'm blind. Can you point out the link to make a donation?
5869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
Spearforfun

I have been told that money should be sent to Focp@san.rr.com which is the paypal account for Friends of the Children's Pool (FoCP).
Old 03-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Blue Man

Done.
Blue Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Get em guys
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
yeskaa
Jess

them poor seals. you guys should be ashamed of yourselves
yeskaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
Spearforfun

one of my all-time favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZH91...3k80nFIX34k%3D
Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
Spearforfun

A paypal button has been added to the FoCP site:

http://friendsofthechildrenspool.com/

The donations are very helpful. For those that don't know, Paul Kennersongrant is the same lawyer who got a court order to have the beach restored and access maintained a few years back. The case went all the way to the supreme court and he won. Environmentalists in the legislature amended state law for the seals. However, that trick only works once and this case has a different basis. Our access rights are guaranteed by the constitution. No change in state law can stop this one unless it is a constitutional amendment.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
TonerSD

so is it legal to cross the rope during pupping season. I dont mind getting yelled at by old cat ladies with nothing better to do. I just dont want to get fined or arrested because of the marine mammal law.
TonerSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
Spearforfun

http://www.change.org/petitions/cali...in-la-jolla-ca

If you can't donate, please at least take time to sign the petition.