Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 12-22-2021, 09:33 PM   #1
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Dano w/ MAKO Spearguns: on world records and pole spear resting hooks

Hey Guys,

I would like to share some information with you about pole spear resting hooks.

While testing my MAKO Carbon Elite Roller Pole Spear under the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, I shot what appeared to be a world record Sheepshead.

While I’m more into the shooting and eating of my fish, I thought it was cool, marked the fish and jumped back in the water.

On my next dive, I shot a bigger one. So, what the heck, two dives, two World Record Fish, can’t be bad for pole spear sales.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I finally got around to submitting them on the IUSA website and…NO GO!

Right on the front page of the IUSA website is the following statement:

IUSA has updated the rule D(2) regarding eligible sling/pole spear gear as follows:

The spear must be charged by muscle power. The charge held in place by hand and released by hand release only. No mechanical trigger release or holding mechanism is allowed to be used or to be on the pole spear or sling.

And, notice the last part of the last sentence. The vis at the bottom was only 1 meter which is where these big guys like to hang out. At 3 feet of visibility, you barely have time to aim and shoot. So, I wasn’t even using it. However, because it was on my pole spear, the fish cannot be submitted.

So, although I am in the business of selling dive gear, including pole spear resting hooks, you should know.

Pole spear resting hooks are totally legal. But, if you shoot a WR fish, and one is on your pole spear it cannot be submitted.

On a side note, the MAKO Pole spear resting hooks are super popular because they can be installed and removed without tools. So, after shooting the first fish, I could have easily removed the resting hook. However, I’ve been hunting with a pole spear for over 50 years. So, what are the chances, I shoot another WR fish on the same day?

Overall, it was a bitchin day! Lots of fish and the best dive buddies in the world.

Roller pole spear resting hook

Conventional pole spear resting hook

Dive safe,
Dano

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	1099
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	247521   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	247522  

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!

Last edited by MAKO Spearguns; 12-22-2021 at 09:55 PM.
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:35 AM   #2
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Re: Dano w/ MAKO Spearguns: on world records and pole spear resting hooks

Good info to bring up Dano. I was asked many years ago to make these for a couple customers that were limited in strength in their hand, or a joint in their shooting arm. Some would be hard pressed to even hold a loaded spear for more then a few seconds. I made a few custom carbon spears just for these spearos.
Spearfishng world records are for an able bodied person I guess.

Oh, and nice fish.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:18 PM   #3
popgun pete

What about ferrule joins in the spear as that is where I hang onto mine. I don’t care about records except to see how big some fish can get, but ultimately they are all heading for the frying pan or pot unless being used piecemeal to entice their larger pals with a free feed.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:35 PM   #4
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
What about ferrule joins in the spear as that is where I hang onto mine. I don’t care about records except to see how big some fish can get, but ultimately they are all heading for the frying pan or pot unless being used piecemeal to entice their larger pals with a free feed.
I've never heard that there is an issue with a pole spear grip or something like that.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote