Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 12-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #1
davej

Shark attack at santa rosa

Anyone know anything about this

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019...1NuMiyOldEIV4M
davej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:42 PM   #2
SEATUX

Re: Shark attack at santa rosa

I know I had to sit thru a TON of commercials and OTHER news/weather...to FINALLY see the VERY SHORT report....about a SURFER that got bit!
So let me save everyone on here a Ton of boredom... a SURFER got bit, and was air lifted...that is IT!
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #3
kodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
I know I had to sit thru a TON of commercials and OTHER news/weather...to FINALLY see the VERY SHORT report....about a SURFER that got bit!
So let me save everyone on here a Ton of boredom... a SURFER got bit, and was air lifted...that is IT!

Thanks for the heads up so I don’t have to click the link.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:06 PM   #4
Bob Ballew

On Dec. 21, 2019, a surfer at Santa Rosa island was attacked by a shark; unknown species. A nearby boat picked him up and he was air lifted by the Coast Guard to the hospital. The bite was to his thigh, causing deep lacerations, with some minor injuries to his face. He is currently in stable condition. The attack occurred at 3:15 in the afternoon on the northwest side of the island. His life was probably saved by a quick thinking boater who immediately applied a tourniquet
...A fair number of sharks frequent the channel islands. Years back, while diving with Bob Stanbery, I had to spear a 9' Blue at nearby Santa Cruz island when it charged straight up and tried to take a chunk out of me. The spear shaft did not clear the gun when I shot it between the eyes. I still have the stainless steel spearshaft with bite indentations in it..A picture and story about it was featured in the Oxnard newspaper. Still, I would rather go diving, than go chasing little white balls across the grass.....
...postscript: There is some volume of Bluefin off Santa Barbara island in the 65 degree water spots....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 01-13-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
Lompoc Local
Errin

Unknown species?

65 degree water at SBI?

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:29 PM   #6
popgun pete

The world in general has lost its marbles concerning sharks (refer the attached photo).

My long held view is that beach culture, surfing, diving, sailboarding and marine kayaking developed and greatly expanded unknowingly in the shark depletion shadow cast by earlier sealing and whaling activities that massively down-sized marine mammal populations. Sharks were starved out of existence and shark fishers vacuumed up whatever strayed close to shore. What has happened since is that marine mammals, with the abandonment of commercial hunting, have greatly recovered and so have the shark populations that preyed on them. This is not a desirable state of affairs. The waters that were available in the growth period of diving, e.g. the "Sea Hunt" era, are way more dangerous now.

The "balance of nature" needs to be retrimmed.
https://www.newsweek.com/shark-attac...-beach-1477619

GWS can inflict massive damage in seconds, even to their own!
https://www.newsweek.com/great-white...-video-1448900
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stuffed toy white shark.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	244717  

Last edited by popgun pete; 12-26-2019 at 04:48 PM. Reason: extra comment
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:08 AM   #7
Bob Ballew

Lompoc is a most amazing artiste'...This time, he managed to paint a river striper to look like a yellowtail....
Old 12-27-2019, 01:39 AM   #8
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
GWS can inflict massive damage in seconds, even to their own!
https://www.newsweek.com/great-white...-video-1448900
Dang!
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 02:13 PM   #9
Bob Ballew

Like Teddy Roosevelt said (or, was it another of my useless platitudes?): "When in the ocean, walk soft and carry a big stick"... Mine is 68" long and fires a five-foot long 3/8" heat treated stainless steel shaft...It is not wise to carry a .22 when you may very well end up in a .45 caliber gunfight one fine, sunny day...Back in the day, when I carried a .38 cal. revolver, the final round was an armor piercing cartridge...not legal, but, efficient...

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 12-27-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
popgun pete

A little bit of ordnance can always be of assistance, provided the ammo ain't wet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Powerheads.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	244721  
Old 12-27-2019, 10:11 PM   #11
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
Lompoc is a most amazing artiste'...This time, he managed to paint a river striper to look like a yellowtail....
I find it interesting that you don’t recognize our local gamefish anymore. While I’m out there crushing on the regular you’re busy sitting on the couch gathering up fishing reports from other sites and compiling them here for “likes” from your fellow arm chair quarterbacks.

Maybe this next year you can get back out there and give us a few first hand accounts of what’s really going on instead of getting all your info from other people you don’t even know.

Alternatively, maybe your “wife” would prefer you sold the Parker to someone who actually might put some hours on it?

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:17 AM   #12
Bob Ballew

Ahhh, Lompoc actually has a sensitive side....But, in life, if you can dish it out to people you don't know, then, you should be able to take it.... p.s. my freezer is full of lobster, some tuna, some yellowtail and some rockfish...I hope yours is likewise...Happy New Year...
Old 12-29-2019, 04:42 PM   #13
Justice Jonez

Make shark hunting and seal hunting great again.
I want to see fish life flourishing not sharks and sea lion infestations.
Justice Jonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:49 PM   #14
popgun pete

Quote:
The world in general has lost its marbles concerning sharks (refer the attached photo).

My long held view is that beach culture, surfing, diving, sailboarding and marine kayaking developed and greatly expanded unknowingly in the shark depletion shadow cast by earlier sealing and whaling activities that massively down-sized marine mammal populations. Sharks were starved out of existence and shark fishers vacuumed up whatever strayed close to shore. What has happened since is that marine mammals, with the abandonment of commercial hunting, have greatly recovered and so have the shark populations that preyed on them. This is not a desirable state of affairs. The waters that were available in the growth period of diving, e.g. the "Sea Hunt" era, are way more dangerous now.

Mystery solved, at least it provides closure for the relatives and a funeral can be arranged, but a tragic loss.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/human-le...pear-fisherman
Old 01-03-2020, 04:41 PM   #15
HappiSpear

Quote:

There are about 3500 great whites left in the wild, fortunately that number is going up but you seriously think thats overpopulated? One fatality every two years. How much biodiversity should we kill so you feel safe?
Source

For comparison 33,000 people died from car accidents in the US last year. If saving human life is your goal you'd be more beneficial to our planet by advocating for public transportation.
Source
HappiSpear is offline   Reply With Quote