Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 10-05-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
matt mattison
Diving ! Gota love it !!!

Write letters opposing full abalone closure

Hey all my abalone diving friends and lovers !!! we really need you to write letters to the MRC commissioners on the proposed abalone reductions I'd suggest writing the commission and DFW and ask them to do anything to avoid full closure. If you have a preference of these management methods I'd state that as well. management options: Full closure, limit daily and annual take, limit card sales, open Fort Ross to ease pressure on other sites, increase size limit. The commission will make a motion based on these options at the October meeting in Atascadero Send emails and letters to fgc@fgc.ca.gov here is the letter I emailed tot hem feel free o use it and change it

Send emails and letters to fgc@fgc.ca.gov

Hello MRC commissioners,

My name is Matt Mattison I am an avid abalone diver as well as founder of the Norcal Underwater Hunters dive forum with over 1200 members and Sonoma coast native, I have been diving for abalone since I was 5 years old with my dad and family. It is part of my families culture and always will be. I am writing to address my concerns and thoughts on the abalone fishery. As I stated I have been diving and rock picking for over 35 years and yes there is issues going on out there but not all is lost and all is bad and if you look recently you cansee the kelp is starting to grow back all up and down the coast. There are areas that are healthy and fine. As we all have admitted this is a nature / environment caused problem not human take problem. As we all know the current FMP/ARMP is faulty and lacking at best !!! I would like to stress THAT I DO NOT SUPPORT FISHERY CLOSURE !!! I feel we need to do anything we can to avoid that as it will hurt ca, the local coastal communities and huge impact the coastal economy !! Plus with the current ARMP it will never re-open. I would like to see you consider these options, 3 a day 9 a year, or 2 a day 6 a year and open up the Fort Ross closure to elevate pressure in the harder hit areas and limit card sales as well as maybe consider as a requirement to purchase ab card each diver must remove and submit to DFW one full limit of sea urchins to qualify to buy an ab card, by doing that you accomplish to things removal of the urchin and I promise not all divers will want to take that extra step to get the 35 urchins to get there ab card and there you have reduced ab card sales

Sincerely Matt Mattison

Founder / Owner of Norcal Underwater Hunters Dive forum

matt mattison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
SCOTB

Re: Write letters opposing full abalone closure

Email sent thanks for continuous info

Full closure will really suck. Even though I only an dive once a year. It's a great trip when I do.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
japppo
too drunk to ****

Hi, my 0,5 cents. Im not a biologist or even SOCAL resident, but if the urchins are an issue, should there be a limitation on the fish that consume sea urchin? Like you said, collecting urchins could help, but how about using the fish to do the job for us. I guess sheephead eat sea urchins.
I find it strange that if someone has done a diagnosis but decides to scratch the itch instead of removing the cancer...
Old 10-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #4
LookPointShoot

You're saying you'd support a reduction to 9 or even SIX per year?!?

Is that because that's the best we can hope for?! Because that's insane. ANY reduction in allowable catch is ****ing nonsense. These people are so ****ing corrupt
LookPointShoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:38 PM   #5
makemwearit
Desert Fish in da Pacific

^ Yes, best scenario only because the alternative and alleged plan is full closure...
makemwearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
NaturalSelecto

Matt, letter sent. Thanks for posting.

Is there a specific reason you think that if abalone in the north closes, it will never come back?

I have seen regulations tighten and loosen with other species. Why specifically is abalone different?
NaturalSelecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #7
Joshua R.

Heads up to SoCal divers. One of the guys up here is asking that they go to two per day. For a local diver, going to two per day is no big deal but for someone who travels as far as you guys do it makes a big difference. Make sure to state your position on reducing daily limits. I'll attach the letter that I wrote from the Watermen's Alliance asking the commissioners to use the annual limit and number of cards sold as a means of protecting the fishery until we can get the next management plan in place.

The commission will be voting on this December 7th in San Diego. If you can make the meeting that would make a big difference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Avoid Closure 2017.pdf (108.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 10-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #8
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookPointShoot View Post
ANY reduction in allowable catch is ****ing nonsense.
Please explain.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
Joshua R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimbandit View Post
Please explain.
The DFW has historically mismanaged this fishery to such high densities that they were arguably overpopulated to the point that it may have contributed to the two large scale die offs we've had in the last 10 years on the north coast. Even though the populations were so high the abalone were piled on top of each other the departments management plan would call for reductions in take.

Bottom line is, now divers don't trust the departments assessments or management options.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua R. View Post
The DFW has historically mismanaged this fishery to such high densities that they were arguably overpopulated to the point that it may have contributed to the two large scale die offs we've had in the last 10 years on the north coast. Even though the populations were so high the abalone were piled on top of each other the departments management plan would call for reductions in take.

Bottom line is, now divers don't trust the departments assessments or management options.
So you believe no changes in take are needed to sustain the population over time? I'm not arguing with you, I'm just curious.

I have not dove for abalone for a few years, as it seems to be a bigger and bigger pain in the ass and I got sick of it.

However, to your point, I think with the lack of predators, the population was certainly high. I don't have the science background, but even to a layman, when you would see the entire sea floor covered with abalone, you can see something was not in balance.

If you think a small population is healthier, than how does that effect what the sustainable recreational take is? Or it sounds like you are maybe saying that the population does not effect the long term sustainable take?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:55 PM   #11
Joshua R.

I was just explaining why some divers oppose any reductions proposed by the department. What we are seeing up here is very concerning for everyone but to state my opinion, We are still way above natural levels and there still is a fishery. If we let it close now, based on past closures, it will never reopen. I'm urging divers to write letters supporting anything other than full closure.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:46 PM   #12
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua R. View Post
I was just explaining why some divers oppose any reductions proposed by the department. What we are seeing up here is very concerning for everyone but to state my opinion, We are still way above natural levels and there still is a fishery. If we let it close now, based on past closures, it will never reopen. I'm urging divers to write letters supporting anything other than full closure.
My question was more about the statement, "ANY reduction in allowable catch is ****ing nonsense.", and not a full closure. What level of reduction in take(or none) do you think would be the best path to preserve the resource if you were the one making the decision?
Old 10-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #13
Joshua R.

I'm hoping for 3/9, I wouldn't be surprised if they go to 3/6, 2/6 or something similar maybe even less. There's nothing left after this. If this doesn't work and things don't improve the only next action would be full closure so I understand they may want to be super conservative and I don't blame them. The more conservative they are now, the longer we can hold out and wait for things to turn around.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #14
Brandi
the ocean nutures my soul

I echo Josh's urging to write and provide the Commissioners with a proposal to avoid option 1. The important thing is to write an/or attend the December FGC meeting and let the Commissioners know your views on the issue. This is where we are at

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.a...=150102&inline

If there is no hyperlink, copy & paste into brower. You can also find this document in the October FGC meeting agenda, item 22

"The ocean changes with every tide" ~ Kenny Tallman

"If you involved in politics there is always going to be someone who is upset with you. You can never do the right thing for everyone." ~ JL
Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:51 AM   #15
norcalsurfer

If this closes it will be so terrible for the local economy up there. Everyone benefits from the horde of slug scrapers that descend upon the ocean, from hotels to gas stations.
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote