Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 03-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
popgun pete

DIY Toweling carry bag for pneumatic spearguns

When travelling to and from a dive site or out on a boat you can keep your pneumatic gun cool and dry by placing it inside a toweling bag not unlike that used to hold a samurai sword, only the latter are made from silk cloth. The toweling has the advantage that a wet gun can be put into it and keep draining water from messing up and rusting out your vehicle boot when driving back from a dive site. Also although you do not want sand getting into the bag if it does then it will not sandpaper your gun as the cloth cannot grip the sand particles like say vinyl does in a plastic carry case. The bags can be made using cheap towels of the bath size which are folded lengthwise and then stitched along the bottom and one edge leaving an opening at the top. The bag is made slightly longer than the gun so that the end can be folded back on itself and then a thick cord permanently attached by its middle to the bag is used to tie it up. This type of thick cord is called beach bag cord and you can buy it in drapers and handicraft shops.

On a blazing hot day you can keep your gun cool by wetting the toweling bag and using it as an evaporative cooler for your gun when no shade is available. To a limited degree the bag will protect your gun from rubbing wear and bumps, but not from gouges inflicted by sharp objects, so some care is still required when handling and storing your gun.

After unpacking the toweling bag can be turned inside out and then washed in a washing machine or simply rinsed out in a bucket to remove the salt and any sand before being hung out to dry in the sunlight.

These cheap toweling bags can also be used as a liner inside your regular gun bag or hard carry case. The spelling varies "towelling" or "toweling", my Word spellchecker prefers the former rather than the latter, but the web-site is vice versa.

One of my home-made gun bags can be seen on my dive wash-up table.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: DIY Toweling carry bag for pneumatic spearguns

This type of bag can also be used for band guns too, my Metaltech has its own royal blue toweling soft bag and I have an even bigger bag for the Ultimate Double to stop it draining saltwater into my vehicle on the way home. Not that it gets much use to do that, but is there when I need it. Also stops the bands getting cooked in the direct sunlight on a stinking hot day if there is no available shade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gun bags.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	241831  

Last edited by popgun pete; 03-05-2019 at 04:41 PM. Reason: added diagram
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote