Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #16
sharpshooter

Re: Hanging up my speargun

Here's a pic of FATSO. Click image for larger version

Name:	FATSO 2018.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	240721 Click on pic to enlarge. All the hunting magazine articles have a name given to the buck. So, I called mine FATSO.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:47 AM   #17
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Nice, healthy buck!
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:44 PM   #18
sharpshooter

Temperatures in the U.P., Mi. were about 10F to 15F lower than normal for November. Left sunny Fl. 85F. and landed in Escanaba,Mi. at 33F.. Warmest day hit 45f. without the wind chill. Coldest day was 5F. and with the wind chill about -11F.. We butcher our own deer at the farm. We did 11 deer during the 15 day firearm season. All of them had extra high fat storage. More than the last 3 years. Amazing how animals know what weather is coming down the road. We humans with our modern technology still get it wrong. Looks like its going to be a cold winter this year. How'd everybody else do?
Old 12-07-2018, 02:02 PM   #19
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Thanks D! Iv told the story 100 times already but my heart starts pounding even now just telling it. Apologies to the seasoned hunters who surely have better stories but if it doesn’t get the juices flowing probably should give it up IMO. The buck gave me a close shot, 60 yards, if not for that probably would have missed from shaking (buck fever) lol.
When I shot he jumped straight up, turned 180 and ran out of site. I’m shooting a 7mm mag. I sat for a min trying to gather myself. Walked out and couldn’t find a single trace of blood or hide. Walked about 20 yards in direction he ran...nothing, notta!! I went from adrenaline high to dejected thinking I missed, was so pissed at myself. Buddy came over and I told em think I missed. He asked did he jump? I said yes. He asked did he look funny when he ran off, tail down? I said yes, looked front leg heavy, not normal. He said both good signs. We walked about 30 yards and nothing, then buddy says smell that? He’s right here somewhere. Walked 10 more yards and there he was!! High fives ensued. He was full rut stinking. What a feeling! We’re looking and buddy ask where you hit em? No obvious entry or exit. I roll him over...same. Roll em back over and buddy looks at me and says did you give the damn thing a heart attack? We laughed. Finally found entry well behind shoulder and low where brown hair meets white. Rolled him back over and no exit. Start rubbing hide and find a knot high on would be exit side shoulder. Bullet was right there. I slightly cut hide with pocket knife and bullet fell right out. Must have caught a rib at entry and angled up and across lungs heart area to opposite shoulder. Like I said, lord smiled on me or just beginner luck lol. Literally 2 inch lower and bullet misses under him. If goes straight through at entry I’m trailing that deer forever and possibly never found.
Greys recipe sounds reeeeeally good, probably try.
Having a euro mount done on him since it’s my first deer.
Lots of times no blood or fur. Deer bleeds internally then drops. Glad you found the deer. Besides shooting FATSO. I shoot a 6 pt. at my food plot edge. No blood or fur where shot. It had snowed all night. Found hoof prints where his hoofs had dug in for the death run. Saw a pin head speck of blood every few feet. Was thankful for the snow covered ground. Otherwise, would of been several hours of looking. He went up the ridge and down. Across the logging road and up 3/4 of another ridge. Died and slide back down 1/2 way. All the blood was in the heart,lungs,liver cavity. It all came pouring out when my knife got in there. Outside temp. was 18F.. Normal deer body temp. is 101.1F.. All that hot blood warmed my hands up.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #20
B Lang

Two trips to Saskatchewan this fall. Did ducks in October and back for whitetails thanksgiving week. Got this guy on thanksgiving day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4BF3C9E8-BB96-4A42-A544-DB803C3BEFD6.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	240796   Click image for larger version

Name:	E0F8B901-2779-4DBF-821A-6F9AB829AFE7.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	240797  
B Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:22 AM   #21
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Lang View Post
Two trips to Saskatchewan this fall. Did ducks in October and back for whitetails thanksgiving week. Got this guy on thanksgiving day.
Now, that's a monster buck. Did you use a outfitter?
Old 12-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #22
B Lang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
Now, that's a monster buck. Did you use a outfitter?
Yes its required that non residents hunt all game except waterfowl with a outfitter. We do all the waterfowl hunting on our own.
B Lang is offline   Reply With Quote