Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #1
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Best Flasher Components and Noisemakers DIY

I've been reading up on here and elsewhere about building my own flasher, and I have a few thoughts that I would like to bounce off of other people.

1. What is the point of such, huge, long, deep flashers? I've seen comments where people recommend setting one not too far beneath you - sometimes even suggesting to connect it to their gun. If the point is to bring the fish to you, shouldnt we flash near where we are?

2. What are your personal favorite flasher items?

3. My current design I think will be an independent float, with 3m or less of line. I want to start and finish with a buzz bomb I think, maybe a squid on the bottom one as well. In between is what is in question. In between it seems that I will want small fish or maybe some kamikaze spinners from Rob Allen - but I want to know what people like the best!

4. Is there such a thing as too many things or things too close together? It seems especially since I am new at this I should stick to smaller lures for smaller fish. Spacing and density I have no idea about however.

5. Sound - Rattles and vibrators. Any validity here? I havent seen any sharks in tonga but it seems the best place to put a noise maker is on the float away from you. I can fill a small container with bbs. My other idea was to fill a otterbox with bb's and buy a small vibrator and throw that in there at the beginning of a dive.

I am new to bluewater hunting and will likely just be drifting with this along dropoffs in the south pacific. Any general tips on bluewater hunting and using/diving with a flasher is highly appreciated!

Thank you!

WISCONSIN SPEARGUN HUNTERS
kingfisherflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
Polespearo
Waterman

Re: Best Flasher Components and Noisemakers DIY

we have had days that throw flashers work best, some others that float flashers do the trick and some others chum... so i allways bring the 3!

float with flashers at the depth that shines the best light (between 5 and 13m) and that stays there and you let it do its thing and just have it ther for long distance call, then throw a flasher that sinks at a decent rate, and let sink to whatever you can comfortably hold and pick it up, and if you are team hunting, have someone be flasher (female dog) and jerk the flasher and build a chum line.
Polespearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #3
rhyne

fun topic... I've experimented a bit with different styles of flashers, reflective tape/clothing & a little bit with sound/rattles... in particular, the vibrator

Flashers... i've found success with a wide variety of styles and haven't noticed any particular patterns. some work on some days and others on others.

Vibrator... i picked up a small hard plastic version and stuck it inside of an aluminum drinking bottle. it produces more of a high pitch tone than say a plastic bottle would. I tend to forget I have it along and haven't used it much, but think it's a really interesting approach. some have mentioned it will attract sharks. at the end of the day i need to give it more experimentation and am interested in hearing about any of the rest of ya that have tried sound makers.
... and ultimately, I find more satisfaction in hunting without flashers and chum in most situations

www.BRINKexpeditions.com - 6-pack Spearfishing, fishing & Custom Charters. San Diego, CA
Your Gateway to What Lie Beyond the Shoreline

www.coroflot.com/RyanSweeney - Apparel Design & Development
rhyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:40 AM   #4
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Thanks for the responses guys.

Any specific thoughts on density or spacing?

Any sources on small "fish" flashers? I think I want something about 4" with an eye. I am going to space those with RA kamikazes spinners and put a buzz bomb on either end I think.

Vibrator/rattle still up in the air depending on input. Fish are incredibly sensitive to vibration/noise and so I think incorporating something along those lines might be incredibly beneficial - how strong the response is will undoubtedly vary across different species of fish, and sharks in particular do seem to have a very acute response.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:33 AM   #5
Matt Hudson

I started putting a rattle on the bottom of my flashers last year and I think I got more of an increase in attention from sharks than from fish. Might depend on your location though.
Matt Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #6
kingfisherflesh
Happy Huntin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hudson View Post
I started putting a rattle on the bottom of my flashers last year and I think I got more of an increase in attention from sharks than from fish. Might depend on your location though.
I have yet to see a shark in one month of diving in Tonga. I am sure that they are here, but havent seen one yet.