Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2017, 05:13 PM   #31
z1taz
Blue Water Killer
 
z1taz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: French Polynesia
Posts: 1,261
Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz
Re: Hunt shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEgir View Post
If this is true... then why don't you contribute something positive here for once in your life and just tell us what they are?
do you order 300 or more shafts there ?

anyhow i am not a positive person and prefer not to share the what is a subject to be an advantage on what others have ..and bet why ?

because when you share to some , after a period of time they would all argue this comes from their brillant brain and long reflexion ! and i am not here to share some if i do not want to . point.

Sorry
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:46 PM   #32
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....
 
kavachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: South Pacific
Posts: 270
Re: Hunt shafts

dont feed the troll
kavachi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:36 AM   #33
AJP
Reluctant User
 
AJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 700
Re: Hunt shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1taz View Post
do you order 300 or more shafts there ?

anyhow i am not a positive person and prefer not to share the what is a subject to be an advantage on what others have ..and bet why ?

because when you share to some , after a period of time they would all argue this comes from their brillant brain and long reflexion ! and i am not here to share some if i do not want to . point.

Sorry
Cool story bro...
AJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 05:14 AM   #34
Azure Recluse
Another Aussie Spearo
 
Azure Recluse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 77
Re: Hunt shafts

Just wanted to put in my 2c... a good mate of mine bought about 20 mannysub shafts which are the hunt shafts rebranded with another logo and they are among the best shafts I have seen. Quality product.. I picked up 3 from him and it was a struggle to get them off him
__________________
"God is great, beer is good and people are crazy." Billy Currington
Azure Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:57 AM   #35
AEgir
Registered User
 
AEgir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boynton Beach
Age: 39
Posts: 138
Re: Hunt shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1taz View Post
do you order 300 or more shafts there ?

anyhow i am not a positive person and prefer not to share the what is a subject to be an advantage on what others have ..and bet why ?

because when you share to some , after a period of time they would all argue this comes from their brillant brain and long reflexion ! and i am not here to share some if i do not want to . point.

Sorry
Don't be sorry... I already knew you're full of shit, I just wanted to give you one more opportunity to tell us how PATHETIC you are
__________________
Sling Hunter
AEgir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:52 AM   #36
spearq8
Registered User
 
spearq8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,835
Re: Hunt shafts

The person working to make a "dogtooth" specific shaft is Andrea from Deep Blue not me ... and trust me Andrea has a lot of experience hunting large dogtooth in many different parts of the world. Of course we have conversations all the time about what can be improved, but he is the one that is making those shafts with Hunt. I think they made huge progress and I really like Hunt because they listen to advice and are constantly working on improving things. Personally I think dogtooth are especially hard on tackle and I will be the first to admit that I have lost a lot of gear to large dogtooth tuna and I don't think I have ever met someone who hunts large dogtooth without having many fish lost (of course zz is the exception). Big dogtooth will pull down a 35l float like it was not even there, and will head straight down to the reef ... if that reef is 300ft or 400ft+ ... chances are the fish will get tangled there and you will never see your gear again. So you need to put the brakes on the fish as soon as possible by using extra shallow floats ... and that usually puts a lot of stress on the flopper or floppers. Of course best is to wait until you have an accurate disabling shot ... but if you have been in the water for a few days and finally get to see a big fish ... it is hard to stay that disciplined.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #37
z1taz
Blue Water Killer
 
z1taz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: French Polynesia
Posts: 1,261
Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz
Re: Hunt shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
The person working to make a "dogtooth" specific shaft is Andrea from Deep Blue not me ... and trust me Andrea has a lot of experience hunting large dogtooth in many different parts of the world. Of course we have conversations all the time about what can be improved, but he is the one that is making those shafts with Hunt. I think they made huge progress and I really like Hunt because they listen to advice and are constantly working on improving things. Personally I think dogtooth are especially hard on tackle and I will be the first to admit that I have lost a lot of gear to large dogtooth tuna and I don't think I have ever met someone who hunts large dogtooth without having many fish lost (of course zz is the exception). Big dogtooth will pull down a 35l float like it was not even there, and will head straight down to the reef ... if that reef is 300ft or 400ft+ ... chances are the fish will get tangled there and you will never see your gear again. So you need to put the brakes on the fish as soon as possible by using extra shallow floats ... and that usually puts a lot of stress on the flopper or floppers. Of course best is to wait until you have an accurate disabling shot ... but if you have been in the water for a few days and finally get to see a big fish ... it is hard to stay that disciplined.
this is normal you are just a beginner ..haha ! why being so precise and good in yr pool and losing dogtooth tunas ?

you are so funny ! --> Franck with my own made spearguns ( reel guns for most ) from 115 up to 140 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpygoHgg9Sk&t=15s

video and photo from my place where i bet you ll not be able to land any from those ! haha !

Franck same day alone : ( example)



you are an idiot Madj . point. because how would you have :~~ Of course we have conversations all the time about what can be improved,~~ way to improve thing when you just know nothing about the subject
you are talking about ! but this is the way now in our new world ! idiots think they know when they do not and act on wrong ways .

Last edited by z1taz; 10-07-2017 at 02:33 PM.
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #38
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....
 
kavachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: South Pacific
Posts: 270
Re: Hunt shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
The person working to make a "dogtooth" specific shaft is Andrea from Deep Blue not me ... and trust me Andrea has a lot of experience hunting large dogtooth in many different parts of the world. Of course we have conversations all the time about what can be improved, but he is the one that is making those shafts with Hunt. I think they made huge progress and I really like Hunt because they listen to advice and are constantly working on improving things. Personally I think dogtooth are especially hard on tackle and I will be the first to admit that I have lost a lot of gear to large dogtooth tuna and I don't think I have ever met someone who hunts large dogtooth without having many fish lost (of course zz is the exception). Big dogtooth will pull down a 35l float like it was not even there, and will head straight down to the reef ... if that reef is 300ft or 400ft+ ... chances are the fish will get tangled there and you will never see your gear again. So you need to put the brakes on the fish as soon as possible by using extra shallow floats ... and that usually puts a lot of stress on the flopper or floppers. Of course best is to wait until you have an accurate disabling shot ... but if you have been in the water for a few days and finally get to see a big fish ... it is hard to stay that disciplined.
Absolutely - the need to put the brakes on is what makes landing big dogs such a challenge, and these shafts are a huge step in achieving that. you need to use one for while to realise how good they are. The uniquely reinforced floppers provide unprecedented holding power, and the heavy shaft slows the fish down a LOT more than a slip tip.

Even with the superb TIGd cone, two big non-recessed floppers DO take significant power to penetrate a big dog, so these shafts need a powerful platform. Albacore shape with three small ID bands at 4X does the job superbly, even dragging 1.8mm cable

Unlike bluewater where you have the luxury of the letting the fish run and tire itself over time and distance [depending on how toey the sharks are of course], if you fail to stop a big dog reaching structure [and typically it will be much snaggier bottom than a current-scoured polynesian reef pass] all that gear will be well and truly wrapped up deeper than most spearos are able or willing to retrieve it from. and the big dog probably wont recover form the ordeal either.

good gear is damn expensive and logistics-intensive delivered out here to the islands especially premium shafts, so I use a big tuna board with 30 metres of heavy spectra rope with 3 metres 3X bungee to shooting line, that way when i do inevitably get reefed the gear is within 40 metres of the surface and retrievable with scuba gear. though still hard work in hot current.

Yes an in-line pressure float would assist in slowing the fish down and easing pressure on those floppers when the fish hits the end of floatline, but the shark population round here dictates getting the fish to the surface as quickly as possible, and I prefer stay behind the board hauling and cleating than having to stop and unclip in-line floats. shit's pretty hectic chasing big dogs solo when the sharks are on, especially when youve worked to berley the fish out away from the dropoff, and the more straightforward it is getting the fish to the surface the better.

The stress on your entire rig is tremendous when a really big fish hits the end of the floatline and the board loads right up, and thus far the Hunt Doggie Special hasnt let me down

Happy to report these shafts work fantastic on big AJs too
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4857-2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	235505  
kavachi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:42 AM   #39
JJohansen
Registered User
 
JJohansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kona, Hawaii
Age: 36
Posts: 391
Re: Hunt shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1taz View Post
this is normal you are just a beginner ..haha ! why being so precise and good in yr pool and losing dogtooth tunas ?

you are so funny ! --> Franck with my own made spearguns ( reel guns for most ) from 115 up to 140 .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpygoHgg9Sk&t=15s

video and photo from my place where i bet you ll not be able to land any from those ! haha !

Franck same day alone : ( example)




you are an idiot Madj . point. because how would you have :~~ Of course we have conversations all the time about what can be improved,~~ way to improve thing when you just know nothing about the subject
you are talking about ! but this is the way now in our new world ! idiots think they know when they do not and act on wrong ways .

Anyone else hear the mocking frenchman from Monty pythons quest for the holly Grail when this guy posts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	235506  
JJohansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:29 AM   #40
spearq8
Registered User
 
spearq8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,835
Re: Hunt shafts

Actually where I hunt dogtooth, sharks are very rarely a problem. I know that in many parts of the world sharks are a problem if the dogtooth dives deep in a reef. My biggest problem is always trying to stop the fish from tangling very deep. With the Hunt double flopper, even a smallish dogtooth would completely flare the floppers making the shaft unusable. A slip tip is good but I feel it allows the fish to swim too freely. This staggered double flopper is really good as it gives added insurance should you lose a flopper and they are supposedly much stronger ... it is also super accurate. It would be interesting to create a good strength test for floppers ... this would give a base point that can slowly be improved upon.

@zz ... I thought I told you to be quiet when it comes to discussing spearfishing gear. If you have information on tricking a fish to come closer ... I would be happy to hear it. You know the covering the eyes part, maybe blow kisses to the fish ... etc ... that would be interesting to know. But here we are discussing shafts, so shut up and be quiet.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:15 PM   #41
z1taz
Blue Water Killer
 
z1taz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: French Polynesia
Posts: 1,261
Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz
Re: Hunt shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
Actually where I hunt dogtooth, sharks are very rarely a problem. I know that in many parts of the world sharks are a problem if the dogtooth dives deep in a reef. My biggest problem is always trying to stop the fish from tangling very deep. With the Hunt double flopper, even a smallish dogtooth would completely flare the floppers making the shaft unusable. A slip tip is good but I feel it allows the fish to swim too freely. This staggered double flopper is really good as it gives added insurance should you lose a flopper and they are supposedly much stronger ... it is also super accurate. It would be interesting to create a good strength test for floppers ... this would give a base point that can slowly be improved upon.

@zz ... I thought I told you to be quiet when it comes to discussing spearfishing gear. If you have information on tricking a fish to come closer ... I would be happy to hear it. You know the covering the eyes part, maybe blow kisses to the fish ... etc ... that would be interesting to know. But here we are discussing shafts, so shut up and be quiet.
why to discuss thing you does not even knows about ? same as for spearing which is the start you should go from ( = to learn spearing )

your problem is not :
~ My biggest problem is always trying to stop the fish from tangling very deep. ~

your problem is to be accurate as in your pool and to kill shot = sudden death the dogtooth you shot as a " what you are ".... you know certainly now what i am talking about ? mr "ingeniere" !
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #42
landongold
Registered User
 
landongold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: South Orange County
Posts: 43
Re: Hunt shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1taz View Post
why to discuss thing you does not even knows about ? same as for spearing which is the start you should go from ( = to learn spearing )

your problem is not :
~ My biggest problem is always trying to stop the fish from tangling very deep. ~

your problem is to be accurate as in your pool and to kill shot = sudden death the dogtooth you shot as a " what you are ".... you know certainly now what i am talking about ? mr "ingeniere" !
Is anyone else super annoyed with this "z1taz" guy? I'm tired of his ridiculous confronntational posts on these threads. Hasn't he violated the new terms already? Get him off here

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
landongold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #43
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....
 
kavachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: South Pacific
Posts: 270
Re: Hunt shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1taz View Post
your problem is to be accurate as in your pool and to kill shot = sudden death the dogtooth you shot as a " what you are ".... you know certainly now what i am talking about ?
after suggesting not to feed the troll, i just cant let this one go thru to the keeper.....despite the fact old mate will be unlikely to read past the first para

Marc, are you honestly going to tell me that at no point in those sessions filmed in that clip you just posted did a speargun fire without stoning a fish? Bullshit! and in that cherry-picking editing process you've removed all the hunting context that might make that footage helpful to the very people participating on Spearboard where you posted the clip.

We're having a really constructive discussion here amongst divers ALL OVER the globe [China, Kuwait, Panama, Barbados, RI, Cal, FLA, WA, Tahiti, Solomon Islands, Australia, Italy, Kwajalein, Finland, Argentina, Indo, NZ - how fkng cool is that?!!] on building better spearguns, enabling more sustainable hunting. why shit on that?????

Outer French Polynesia is still the Wild West and you and your mates are very spoiled for hunting opps [as long as there are new reefs with naive doggies, snapper, and trout to find anyway] I get that, so is where I live and work, but if you have no intention of sharing knowledge and experience that will help people hunt more sustainably, which is critical to everyone on here and to your business [limit of one shot on a dog per week the concept of sustainability is obviously not completely alien to you] why bother coming on here???

Stating the bleeding obvious - for the umpteenth time, really dunno why i or anyone else bother - but exactly the same point needs to be made regards your shitting on Majd's pool testing. I live in similarly pristine tropical ocean to your PYF, and with a cheap off the shelf gun, or a local thumblatch, i can shoot enough prime fish to feed my whole extended family. BUT, with the knowledge, experience, and encouragement of SB members, i can build from scratch far more efficient guns and rigs that greatly reduce the number of injured/scared fish, and also enable me to consistently land large pelagics, greatly reducing pressure on reef fish which people here rely heavily on for their own food gathering.

What has pool testing [yes, my pool too is a tropical sand coral lagoon full of fish literally on my doorstep] got to do with this? why is pool testing absolutely critical to this process? because the alternative is using fish for target practice. Every tweak, alteration of band, shaft, rigging, every new or altered stock = more injured and/or scared fish. This is why putting any mods through a thorough target shooting process [whether in a pool or the ocean] is absolutely CRITICAL for spearfishing to have any sort of claim to being sustainable harvesting.

Like many divers I was long dismissive of target-shooting, especially with fish equally as accessible for me as a foam target - Why shoot foam when you could be shooting fish? This thinking is pervasive amongst spearos, and is why the practice needs to be actively encouraged and supported. everyone benefits. everyone feels better about their hunting. And the dread scenario of being legislated out of existence, or there not being any fish left to shoot, is that much farther away.

Where does your pathetic trolling of Majd and his commitment to endless pool testing to further gun development and hunting sustainability fit into that big picture?

Where do you get off turning people off these discussions, discouraging them from participating in such a constructive dialogue, such a fun learning curve?

alright. enough rambling and barking at a tree, time to go and shoot some more imaginary pelagics

Last edited by kavachi; 10-08-2017 at 09:59 PM.
kavachi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #44
Tim.G
Registered User
 
Tim.G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria, Australia.
Posts: 47
Re: Hunt shafts

A friend bought a Hunt spring shaft the other day. Is anyone using them?

https://youtu.be/bNkf0V1cjkk
Tim.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:21 PM   #45
z1taz
Blue Water Killer
 
z1taz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: French Polynesia
Posts: 1,261
Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz
Re: Hunt shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.G View Post
A friend bought a Hunt spring shaft the other day. Is anyone using them?

https://youtu.be/bNkf0V1cjkk
i d try to order some but they were too small in length for me as longest length is 160 cms
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com