Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 06-24-2015, 01:16 AM   #1
bryang123

Float line questions

So I have a couple questions about float lines and setups and stuff like that. First, do people prefer to put their bungees closest to the gun or the float? Also, I currently have a reel on my Riffe euro 110. When I setup my float line, how do I deal with the reel?

I'm looking at this float line and bungee:
http://www.neptonicsystems.com/bungee.php
http://www.neptonicsystems.com/Cheap-floatlines.php

And this float:
http://www.neptonicsystems.com/infla...hing-float.php

I would love to hear your opinions on the gear and opinions/ideas/answers about setting up float lines.
bryang123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:49 AM   #2
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Re: Float line questions

Bungie close to the gun. Just disconnect the reel and add a breakaway rig like the one neptonics sells
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:06 AM   #3
sticknrelease
Inflatable Floats

You can also keep the reel, and just clip the floatline to the butt of the gun. There are lots of options. What type of fish are you hunting? Bluewater, kelp, reef, rigs?

Questions about the Fox Float? Send them to Foxfloats@gmail.com

www.foxfloats.com
sticknrelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #4
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Diving the reef? Bungee by the float
Diving bluewater? Bungee by the gun
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #5
bryang123

Mainly bluewater and kelp. And so I just unscrew my reel and take it off my gun whenever I use my float?
Old 06-24-2015, 05:35 PM   #6
sticknrelease
Inflatable Floats

I can't speak to kelp like some of the CA guys here, but in bluewater, I prefer a breakaway and no reel. There are people out there that swear by reels in the open ocean, I just prefer to let the bungee and float do the work while I enjoy the oxygen rich environment at the surface.

Your 110 isn't a powerhouse for bluewater diving, so you may consider the majority of the diving you do with that gun, and rig it that way. If you make a trip into the blue, you can grab your 130 or 140 and go kill big pelagics with a breakaway rig.

I always prefer the simplest solution. If you wanted to use a float with your reel gun, you can rig it to the handle, that way you can get it back if your reel gets spooled. Rather than removing the reel, you can just rig a shaft for use with a breakaway, and just keep your reel line strapped onto your reel with a rubber band or something. But again, you are getting into having stuff there that you aren't using.

www.foxfloats.com
Old 06-24-2015, 09:42 PM   #7
bryang123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrelease View Post
I can't speak to kelp like some of the CA guys here, but in bluewater, I prefer a breakaway and no reel. There are people out there that swear by reels in the open ocean, I just prefer to let the bungee and float do the work while I enjoy the oxygen rich environment at the surface.

Your 110 isn't a powerhouse for bluewater diving, so you may consider the majority of the diving you do with that gun, and rig it that way. If you make a trip into the blue, you can grab your 130 or 140 and go kill big pelagics with a breakaway rig.

I always prefer the simplest solution. If you wanted to use a float with your reel gun, you can rig it to the handle, that way you can get it back if your reel gets spooled. Rather than removing the reel, you can just rig a shaft for use with a breakaway, and just keep your reel line strapped onto your reel with a rubber band or something. But again, you are getting into having stuff there that you aren't using.
okay I see what you're saying. And in terms of my gun and power, the main problems would be it's lack of range and penetration correct? Also, what do you do once you shoot a fish with your breakaway? Just hang onto the float or what?
Old 06-25-2015, 12:10 PM   #8
sticknrelease
Inflatable Floats

Exactly. (regarding penetration and range)

Different pelagic fish react differently when shot. Amberjack may dive deep, Yellowtail can take off laterally or try and wrap in the bottom, wahoo will typically run near the surface really fast. The beauty of the breakaway is that at any point if you need to let go and breathe, you can. Typically you let the floatline run between your fingers when the fish runs, and your float comes right to you. If the fish's run is really strong, you can let go entirely (again, species dependent) and swim after the float. Once you get to the float, you can fight the fish from the surface, and even rest on your float if you get winded.

This may sound lazy, or like I should hit the treadmill more or something, but exerting yourself too much in the big blue, and freediving can be a recipe for bad things to happen. No fish is worth your life, but there are some once in a lifetime fish. :-)

www.foxfloats.com
Old 06-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #9
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

Bungee toward the gun. If you're running it inline you will have to remove the reel, if not you can work the break-away around it.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #10
theburb

why do you have to remove the reel? Let it go for a ride.
theburb is offline   Reply With Quote