Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #1
nowayout

Belt reel with breakaway, or complete breakaway to float

Im thinking these are the three best options for pole spearing bigger fish and Id like some feedback or first hand experience.

Does the belt reel line get connected to the butt end of the pole spear where the band is tied too? It doesnt get tied to the band does it?

With complete break away you need a float. There are some draw backs to that but the biggest positive is there in belt reel line near you to get tangled in.
nowayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:25 PM   #2
Nicholasclf

Re: Belt reel with breakaway, or complete breakaway to float

While I’ve never used a polespear, I think the line should be connected to the spear and not the band.
Jus thinking if you’re holding the line while it’s attached to the band, the band can stretch and the pole spear can come flying back at you? Not too sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicholasclf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #3
popgun pete

Re: Belt reel with breakaway, or complete breakaway to float

A polespear is not such a good idea with big fast swimming fish, my buddy shot a yellowtail and it took off with the polespear hanging out one side as it escaped at full power. Neither it nor the polespear were ever seen again.

A detachable head with its own cable would work, the tip imbeds in the fish and detaches and the tip and its trailing cable head off at best speed while you refit the polespear with another tip to try and finish the fish off. The real danger is the fish may haul you along via the cable and if a cable loop gets thrown around you then you are in big trouble. Desperate fish even of a moderate size with undiminished swimming capability can easily overpower a diver as their lives are depending on it, and maybe yours!
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote