Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #16
briankinley2004

Re: GoPro HD question

I have a GoPro and have filmed a few videos with it. Got it at the end of the season after asking RedfishRay what he shot his awesome video with. I used it in blue water under a layer of green water. At 160ft. on one dive it got pretty dark to the point all we could see were shadows. YouTube - another one bites the dust is a link to that video. The point where the first song ends and the second begins is where the water got too dark to see well. I was probably 15 ft above the shooter. Also I used the head mount as it allows you to focus on hunting and not filming. I do need to add a chin strap though as it does not come with one and it tends to get knocked off. I ran a clip to the top of my bc as we fish in a "bottomless" environment and if I dropped it, adios. As for the computer I did alot of research and alot of the issues above were listed. I had a laptop with Windows 7 & 3GB. It locked it up on the first movie and took hours to make a 7 minute video. I began to research all this and spent $1700 on a computer to do video. Right or wrong several things showed up in my research:

1) you need 64 bit
2) you need a I-7 or higher dual core processor
3) you need alot of storage (I have 1 TB) and you should consider buying an external drive
4) you need a better video card than standard, can't remember specs
5)you need 8GB ram
6) finally if you have all these you still need a 500watt power supply to get the speed needed out of the processor. 750W is better. There are computers out there that have souped up processors but with 400W or less power supplies and supposedly dont give you the speed the processor is capable of.

I am no computer guy but I purchased based on these things since they kept being brought up in my research. WOW I can now edit and make a 7 minute video in 1/10th the time it took before. The only thing is if you are going to upload to Youtube all this wont help if you have sucky internet like mine. I am in a rural area and it would take hours to upload a 1080 HD video. I have to reduce to the smallest size on Youtube to upload it in less than 30 minutes. Good luck and I really enjoy my gopro.
briankinley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
surfin009

get a mac & youre golden
surfin009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #18
briankinley2004

Yes the Mac is another option although one of them with the faster processors, etc cost twice as much. Supposedly their editing software is second to none.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:13 PM   #19
mochosla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolinedaniel View Post
really? i havce 32 bit vista and it wont reconize over 2 and my friends 32 bit windows 7 wont either
Vista, XP or Windows 7 32 bit will recognize up to 4 Gigs. I can tell you as I work for IT in Universal Studios and I have a computer running Windows 7 with 16 gigs of ram. It only sees 4 right now but the new image will use the 16 gigs. :-). It does come with the I7 quad core proc and a great video card to render great quality images. Aside from the storage, I think I'm set from a computer perspective.
mochosla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #20
briankinley2004

Sounds like your rigged. The I7 is what I have. Mine has 12RAM but wouldn't know how to tell you what its recognizing but I do have 64 bit. All these Rams and HZ and quads are above my head but I do know I got a new laptop 3ram Toshiba just a month old when I bought gopro and it wont work in HD. Know a couple of others that had same issues. Only advice I can say is do your research before you jump into HD video publishing. Its fine to plug the gopro into your HD tv or computer and watch but if you plan to edit or youtube the computer will be your limit over the camera.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #21
mochosla

Mako is already selling the flat lens for $16. I bought it today but their shipping costs are high if you ask me. $13 for something so small and not heavy.... But the lens price is very good though.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 AM   #22
xrispearo
you cant see mee

just ordered it. 8dollar shipping for priority shipping, not bad
Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #23
Atlantean

Quote:
really? i havce 32 bit vista and it wont reconize over 2 and my friends 32 bit windows 7 wont either
Don't waste your money unless it's already too late it will only support <4G DDR. And I'm curious why ANYONE would want to buy a 32-bit win-7 OS?
Atlantean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #24
Atlantean

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankinley2004 View Post
I have a GoPro and have filmed a few videos with it. Got it at the end of the season after asking RedfishRay what he shot his awesome video with. I used it in blue water under a layer of green water. At 160ft. on one dive it got pretty dark to the point all we could see were shadows. YouTube - another one bites the dust is a link to that video. The point where the first song ends and the second begins is where the water got too dark to see well. I was probably 15 ft above the shooter. Also I used the head mount as it allows you to focus on hunting and not filming. I do need to add a chin strap though as it does not come with one and it tends to get knocked off. I ran a clip to the top of my bc as we fish in a "bottomless" environment and if I dropped it, adios. As for the computer I did alot of research and alot of the issues above were listed. I had a laptop with Windows 7 & 3GB. It locked it up on the first movie and took hours to make a 7 minute video. I began to research all this and spent $1700 on a computer to do video. Right or wrong several things showed up in my research:

1) you need 64 bit
2) you need a I-7 or higher dual core processor
3) you need alot of storage (I have 1 TB) and you should consider buying an external drive
4) you need a better video card than standard, can't remember specs
5)you need 8GB ram
6) finally if you have all these you still need a 500watt power supply to get the speed needed out of the processor. 750W is better. There are computers out there that have souped up processors but with 400W or less power supplies and supposedly dont give you the speed the processor is capable of.

I am no computer guy but I purchased based on these things since they kept being brought up in my research. WOW I can now edit and make a 7 minute video in 1/10th the time it took before. The only thing is if you are going to upload to Youtube all this wont help if you have sucky internet like mine. I am in a rural area and it would take hours to upload a 1080 HD video. I have to reduce to the smallest size on Youtube to upload it in less than 30 minutes. Good luck and I really enjoy my gopro.
Decent set-up. You definitely need a better power supply though. Also using an external drive gives you extra space but the transfer speeds are less than using an internal SATA buss. Cheaper to use an internal drive also and less chance you will damage the drive and lose information. That is until the solid state tech is up to the sizes which are useful. Right now solid state is only good for OS drives. They are extremely fast, but not yet large enough for this application. The do make the system run super fast if used for the OS though.

I just built a 16-core with 24-Gigs of DDR3 and some nice SLI video cards. This thing SCREAMS ! Have to use blower fans etc to keep her cool. She is one sweet machine. Wish I could keep her for myself. The video editing and processing is unbelievable. Using all HD video does press hard on the average PC to the point you'll want to upgrade your hardware before you pull out your hair.
Atlantean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #25
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

Quote:
32 bit OS can address a max of 4 gigs Ram minus whatever memory is reserved by hardware devices. Typically this results in about 3.5 gigs of available RAM.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #26
mochosla

And that's why I love doing business with Dano from Mako. I sent them a comment regarding the shipping price and he addressed it right away. Looks like they had a software issue.

Thanks Dano.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #27
flspearin

Just an FYI, GoPro themselves now offers the flat lens and will sell you the camera with a flat-lens housing instead of the curved lens. It definitely doesn't like low light, and loses a lot of quality due to a boosted ISO when there isn't enough light.
flspearin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #28
ApneaAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flspearin View Post
Just an FYI, GoPro themselves now offers the flat lens and will sell you the camera with a flat-lens housing instead of the curved lens. It definitely doesn't like low light, and loses a lot of quality due to a boosted ISO when there isn't enough light.
You sure? When'd that happen? I can't find it on their site. Mind posting a link?
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:29 PM   #29
mochosla

I spoke with them yesterday and they told me they were coming out with a fix for the UW needs of divers but did not have a date yet.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #30
ApneaAddict

As far as low light goes- the GoPro does an admirable, but not fantastic job. I've taken mine under thick kelp canopy on cloudy days and had the video turn out pretty dark (you could still make out what was going on, but it was pretty dark). That said, its probably 10xs better than my brother's point-and-shoot in an underwater case. Check out my videos on youtube if you want some examples:
YouTube - Spearfishing in Mendocino County, California
YouTube - Spearfishing Baja California 2010
YouTube - Lobster Blitz- SoCal Roadtrip 11-2010

Note: Edited on a MacBook Pro 15'', 4gigs of ram, Intel Core i5
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote