Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Old 02-15-2010, 06:45 AM   #1
ddown

heads up to the Lembongan Seppos

Just back from a trip East gettin some gear sorted at Andre's shop in Denp. and met an old expat who gave me the heads up on Tyler (?) and co. out in Lembongan. Apparently immigrasi has been putting together a case on you guys for selling the doggies outta B.A. and around. The expat is a grumpy sod and wants to see you guys blacklisted from Indo but that's a bit harsh to me (although 10 doggies a day is pretty lame-raping really-take what you're gonna eat and leave it at that.) Just wanted to give you the heads up to be careful or move on, whatever. I can't imagine getting shut out of Indo forever. So if you guys read this or you friends do, hati hati-the hammer is gonna fall one way or the other
ddown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Behslayer

Re: heads up to the Lembongan Seppos

DDown, you are too kind..
Not sure who Tyler is, but what is with these guys who come over to our local spots on trophy hunting missions. 1O doggies per day.. probably lost another 1O and fed them to that Nasty 14ft Tiger Shark who is now only bigger, then illegally sell them for peanuts so you can go kill more the next day? WTF? Would you do that in your own backyard? This isn't the first time I've heard stories like this and I'm not going to put any names to them, but these are guys who should know better.. If you go on a hunting safari to some epic spot looking for deer, do you shoot 1O per day? Wound another 1O? Leave them in the sun since you know you aren't going to eat them? Where's your ethics? Where's the respect? We do have some good diving spots around here. And we have been diving them responsibly for over 2O years. In the past few years we've had a bunch of trophy hunters come over here who seem to leave their ethics on the plane. Tyler. You better clean up your act or you will be ruining things for the rest of us. If I see you pulling that kind of crap you can be sure that I'll sink you in perfect Indonesian with local captains that I've known for two decades. Bottom line. If you come over here and want to go look for a Doggie, be selective. You are travelling on a vacation.. Take what you need for yourself. Some locals may encourage you to shoot more, shoot Napoleons, etc... but they don't have a clue about conservation, and also encourage cyanide fishing and dynamite fishing if it means they'll be getting some reef fish that float ashore two days later. As for shooting 1O doggies just to sell them so you can go out and shoot another 1O the next day. Tyler. Get ****ed. Sorry to everyone else reading for the tone of this post.

Last edited by Behslayer; 02-15-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
nigelr

IMHO your tone is perfectly understandable Behslayer, reading ddowns' post made me feel sick to the stomach and I don't live in nor have ever even visited Indonesia.
And people wonder why spearfishers are at times held in disregard...........irresponsible, selfish behaviour at best.
Good luck!
nigelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:27 AM   #4
ddown

ditto (I think one of Justin's the other )
ddown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
PV_Spearo
Addicted Fish Raper

Send a message via AIM to PV_Spearo

Whoa it looks likie this thing got blown FAR out of proportion!
Here is the deal.
I stayed with Justin and a couple other friends this Fall for a decent amount of time.
We really worked hard to get a few doggies. We dove 5 days a week, and would be lucky to see tuna 1day a week. We had 2 good days, the first good day we each shot 2 tuna, and we also went to another spot and speared a mack and a wahoo. There were 3 of us and we were diving for 8 hours. The previous week we shot not one fish.
Over a MONTH later, after diving more than 20 days without getting more than one or 2 tuna, we hit it right again. There were four of us, and we shot 7 tuna.
Both cases the fish that we cpouldnt eat was given away to the locals and we did NOT sell the fish. If the locals chose to sell the fish rather than eat it, then that wasnt in our control, but I never heard anything about that. We came back to the beach and filetted the fish right there, giving fish away to the locals as they would come by and ask.
Never did we shoot 9 tunas, and never did we sell them.
This rumor grew and got out of control. Hopefully whatever action is being taken by Immigrasi will be stopped.
Feel free to email me or call if you have any questions about our ethics or actions.
BWhunter@gmail.com
310 809 6389
PV_Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
Behslayer

Hi Brandon,
I hope you don't think I was implying that you had anything to do with this. All I know of this specific story is what DDown, who is a good friend and dive partner, posted. I don't know anything about Immigrasi, etc, other than what was posted. However, there have been plenty of stories of people coming over to Indo and hitting a good day and blasting away and shooting way more fish than they could possibly need. I'm just saying here that I hope that when divers do visit a place like Indo, that they will keep the same ethics that they would in their own backyard. I'm all for going out and shooting a few fish and having a barbeque with friends, and I also do shoot an occasional fish for a friend or neighbor. When I read that a visiting diver was taking 1O tuna a day from a spot that I have been diving for twenty years and then selling them.. It made me wonder if my son will ever get to fish that spot. Sorry if I was misinformed. Next time you come to Bali, stop by and we'll go for a swim.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote