Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 12:03 AM   #16
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Re: Fixing a sticky Mako trigger - how to

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBH20Man View Post
It is not a sign of poor quality that a complex mechanism that gets dragged through sand and kelp gets sticky.
I think it is. maybe not necessarily poor quality but perhaps design flaw. my rob allen 90 that has literally been buried in sand, drug over rocks, stashed in kelp, you name it its been done to the poor gun. i have NEVER had any sort of problem with the gun, no misfires, no sticky trigger, no nothing. it has functioned perfectly without fail ever since i bought the thing in New Zealand about five years ago. the gun suffers outright abuse and neglect and has yet to let me down. the most sophisticated bit of maintenance ive ever done to the mechanism is spray it with fresh water.
the pelaj has not been so abused but has functioned exactly the way i expected since i bought it. you can see why i might have issues with a cheep gun that needs such detailed maintenance so soon
now i prefer midhandles for guns over 90cm so my pelaj collects dust in my room and every now and then gets used by my friends. perhaps the pelaj has not been "tested" enough but have never had a problem with it nor have my friends who use it. i have also never had to "maintenance" it
one of my friends did however have issues concerning the line release on a rabitech which to my understanding is the same gun design as a mako except for the sticker on the side.
i think a brand should win you with performance in the field not by customer service. i think the best customer service is the one you never need. what good is customer service when that fish of a lifetime swims by and your gun takes a shit.
i am not bashing mako, i have never used a mako, i have never even seen a mako in person. i am just a little sketched out by what you had to do to fix what looks like a brand new gun.
if i ever buy another railgun under 130cm it will be a rob allen period. anything over 130 and i think i would go with pelaj again as i like the way the three band 8mm shaft combo performs.
I will have and use that rob allen for the rest of my life and when i die its going in the coffin with me.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #17
joelovesfishin

I own a RA and Mako gun and the only issue I've had was with my RA. The gun would misfire when it was loaded. Luckily I purchased the gun from Fl Freedivers and they sent me a new trigger cartridge. No problems ever since. As was said before, no gun is perfect, shit happens.
joelovesfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #18
tuffstuff
Mathew Goncalves

I have seen the MAKO Predator and the Rabitech Stealth mechs have issues but the Rabitech APEX mech and MAKO ICONIC mechs are much more reliable for tough conditions.

This write-up is AWESOME!!!
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

The Mako gun I had handle issues with previously has now got a hung up trigger mech. in it. Yes, Dano was cool about the replacing the handle/ gun thing. But the gun now has issues, and is not even 6 months old, and is hardly used at all. The new owner washes the gun after each use; he is not hard on gear, and the gun has been loaded maybe 15 times......

That really sucks, when you consider that I on purpose do not clean my Riffe guns for a year at a time, and there are no issues with them.

Like an AK47, any device that is meant to be put to the rigors of ocean use should be tested enough to find these deficiencies and fix them. And they should work, with no issues.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #20
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Must say, great write-up, and a good place to start with the repair work...
Old 12-01-2009, 05:58 PM   #21
"Yard-Sale Josh"
Kyle Porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post
Like an AK47, any device that is meant to be put to the rigors of ocean use should be tested enough to find these deficiencies and fix them. And they should work, with no issues.
yup
forgot my riffe, also no problems ever.
"Yard-Sale Josh" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #22
spearkid1203

Should i do this regulary and my fire button wont come out
spearkid1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #23
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearkid1203 View Post
Should i do this regulary and my fire button wont come out
I would not take apart the handle like that unless I had a good reason to do so. If the trigger felt gritty or something, I would remove the shaft, blast a garden hose down the hole a few times, re-latch the shaft a few times and then spray it again with a hard shot from a garden hose.

I've used the predator gun for years and have not had to take it apart to clean the trigger mechanism. I also spray a little WD-40 (actually CRC 656 spray) into the trigger mechansim every once in a while.

If you are not throwing the trigger mechansim down on the beach, disassembly is not part of normal maintenance.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #24
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Yard-Sale Josh" View Post
I think it is. maybe not necessarily poor quality but perhaps design flaw. my rob allen 90 that has literally been buried in sand, drug over rocks, stashed in kelp, you name it its been done to the poor gun. i have NEVER had any sort of problem with the gun, no misfires, no sticky trigger, no nothing. it has functioned perfectly without fail ever since i bought the thing in New Zealand about five years ago. the gun suffers outright abuse and neglect and has yet to let me down. the most sophisticated bit of maintenance ive ever done to the mechanism is spray it with fresh water.
the pelaj has not been so abused but has functioned exactly the way i expected since i bought it. you can see why i might have issues with a cheep gun that needs such detailed maintenance so soon
now i prefer midhandles for guns over 90cm so my pelaj collects dust in my room and every now and then gets used by my friends. perhaps the pelaj has not been "tested" enough but have never had a problem with it nor have my friends who use it. i have also never had to "maintenance" it
one of my friends did however have issues concerning the line release on a rabitech which to my understanding is the same gun design as a mako except for the sticker on the side.
i think a brand should win you with performance in the field not by customer service. i think the best customer service is the one you never need. what good is customer service when that fish of a lifetime swims by and your gun takes a shit.
i am not bashing mako, i have never used a mako, i have never even seen a mako in person. i am just a little sketched out by what you had to do to fix what looks like a brand new gun.
if i ever buy another railgun under 130cm it will be a rob allen period. anything over 130 and i think i would go with pelaj again as i like the way the three band 8mm shaft combo performs.
I will have and use that rob allen for the rest of my life and when i die its going in the coffin with me.
This much better than your first post. I couldnt agree anymore with you. Let's add another gun to the list of never having any problems....Aimrite.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #25
chalkeye

Wow, it really is the old Sporasub Viper mech. I wonder if they are the originals, or if the vintage dates back even further than that?
chalkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #26
SBH20Man
Brent

Fwiw, the time I pulled it apart and cleaned it for this write up almost 4 years ago was the one and only time I've had to do this on either of my mako guns. I also replaced the handle on my Wong immediately after buying it (with a Tin Man frame and AR-15 grip), and rebuilt the entire trigger and pushrod assembly on another brand new 60" wood gun. Call me a perfectionist...

Today could be the best day!
SBH20Man is offline   Reply With Quote