Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #16
joel mcqueen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 538
Re: Completely new of Sling

ok the one in the video show a knob which you hold between inside of yuor thumb and fingers .. the other pic shows teak .. that looks like it has a edge ????
joel mcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #17
Snapper Mangler
Registered User
 
Snapper Mangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: stuart fl
Age: 31
Posts: 647
Re: Completely new of Sling

I think they eveolved the design.
I still wanna know how you attatch a shooting line...
Snapper Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #18
AdamAquatic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 222
Re: Completely new of Sling

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouperdude View Post
ACCESSORIES: The Guerrilla comes with the sling body and handle, powerband, cup, and everything needed to have a fully functioning sling right out of the box(Shaft and Reel not included). If you want to step it up to the next level, the Guerrilla with accept almost any spearfishing reel(we have tried it with Riffe, Hammerhead, Spearmaster, Rob Allen, and Beuchat), a float line kit, gopro mount, and more. We are also working on a line release kit for the sling!
Thanks for the followup. Still though... it's not really ready to go out of the box without the shaft and the slip ring. I have to admit that I really don't know much about slings, so maybe these things are more readily available than I know, but I still wouldn't know what size shaft works best with this sling and where I can get one. That's pretty important. Since none of the accessories can be purchased through the webpage, it would be great if that additional info was added.

That aside, has anyone received one yet? Says they should be shipped in "early 2014"? Has the ship date been delayed?
AdamAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #19
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler
 
grouperdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Jupiter,Florida
Posts: 2,243
Re: Completely new of Sling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAquatic View Post
Thanks for the followup. Still though... it's not really ready to go out of the box without the shaft and the slip ring. I have to admit that I really don't know much about slings, so maybe these things are more readily available than I know, but I still wouldn't know what size shaft works best with this sling and where I can get one. That's pretty important. Since none of the accessories can be purchased through the webpage, it would be great if that additional info was added.

That aside, has anyone received one yet? Says they should be shipped in "early 2014"? Has the ship date been delayed?
I understand where your coming from, although you have the inventor posting on here, and you can call him to ask any of you questions.

Slings are not like guns, since you have to actively pull the band back and hold it, individual strength comes into play. I have a half inch band on mine, for some thats too much, others can handle a bigger band.
band size dictates shaft size, depending on how much range you want.

so what I'm saying is that there isn't a prefect package, as everyones needs and wants in a sling are different. I like spring steel shafts because they are cheap others like SS. So if you decide to buy one, call brad and pick his brain before you buy
__________________
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you to their level and beat you with their experience.

WAR DAM EAGLE

http://www.youtube.com/user/grouperdude
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:28 AM   #20
AdamAquatic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 222
Re: Completely new of Sling

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouperdude View Post
I understand where your coming from, although you have the inventor posting on here, and you can call him to ask any of you questions.

Slings are not like guns, since you have to actively pull the band back and hold it, individual strength comes into play. I have a half inch band on mine, for some thats too much, others can handle a bigger band.
band size dictates shaft size, depending on how much range you want.

so what I'm saying is that there isn't a prefect package, as everyones needs and wants in a sling are different. I like spring steel shafts because they are cheap others like SS. So if you decide to buy one, call brad and pick his brain before you buy
Yeah, I suppose I could call him, but I'm just kicking tires at this point so to speak. Although he and everyone else would probably be better served if he could answer the questions on this thread. Time is finite and every businessman could use less time on the phone answering the same questions over and over. To be honest though, I'm seeing some red flags that concern me. Maybe needlessly, but in past experience, an open ended shipping date has ended in my money being lost.
AdamAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #21
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler
 
grouperdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Jupiter,Florida
Posts: 2,243
Re: Completely new of Sling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAquatic View Post
Yeah, I suppose I could call him, but I'm just kicking tires at this point so to speak. Although he and everyone else would probably be better served if he could answer the questions on this thread. Time is finite and every businessman could use less time on the phone answering the same questions over and over. To be honest though, I'm seeing some red flags that concern me. Maybe needlessly, but in past experience, an open ended shipping date has ended in my money being lost.
Brad has been in the game long enough that shouldn't be too much of a concern. I don't know how much time he spends at the computer but maybe he will chime in to address your concerns
__________________
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you to their level and beat you with their experience.

WAR DAM EAGLE

http://www.youtube.com/user/grouperdude
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:55 PM   #22
Bmwgsboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 25
Re: Completely new of Sling

Would it be possible to pit a trigger or a way to help hold the shaft??
Bmwgsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:08 AM   #23
mnguy
Registered User
 
mnguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Spearless in Shizuoka
Age: 34
Posts: 6,147
Send a message via AIM to mnguy
Re: Completely new of Sling

What's the point of having a trigger on a sling? Might as well use a gun, because that's literally what it will be.
__________________
---------E >))))>
Mike Nguyen
mnguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:45 AM   #24
Bmwgsboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 25
Re: Completely new of Sling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguy View Post
What's the point of having a trigger on a sling? Might as well use a gun, because that's literally what it will be.
Thanks for your opinion. I own 5 guns I just wanted something simple, I love my polespears, but due to hand surgery it very hard for me to hold my spear for long while tracking. So I was wondering if there was a way to put some some of mechanism to assist holding on a little bit longer. I am in New Jersey so the non trigger issue is not a problem. I know there has been guys that have put some some of trigger on polespears, just figured the guerrilla might be a better platform for what I'm looking for. Maybe a pin that you can hold down with your palm or finger until ready to let go?? Does not have to be a trigger.
Bmwgsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #25
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn
 
Chuuken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southeast, MI
Posts: 464
Re: Completely new of Sling

I guess it depends on how you define trigger. I made a sling with a sear that held the shaft back while I was looking around for fish. To fire it, I pushed the sear out of the notch it sat in. There are pictures on a different thread, with more in depth descriptions... Let me find it.

Here: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=158093

The shaft is unable to leave the handle, so I don't consider it a gun. It is just nice not to have to hold onto the spear against the bands the entire time...

Mike
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #26
woodscovehunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: newport beach
Age: 20
Posts: 120
Re: Completely new of Sling

Personally I am a huge fan of the design, but along with several other people I feel like the price is the only thing deterring me from this product
__________________
money can't buy happiness
but it can buy bacon,
and that's pretty much the same thing.
woodscovehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:33 AM   #27
Ryanfish
Registered User
 
Ryanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 469
Re: Completely new of Sling

I was lucky enough to use one of these in the Bahamas right after they came out. I was always a pole spear guy but can say I'm completely converted. I've landed Cobia as well as many large grouper using a the guerrilla sling and reel combo. The shafts we were using were custom made to accommodate a slide ring. I believe brad was in the process of getting these mass produced. The unique way the sling is held along with the forward attachment points of the bands allow weaklings like myself to put some power behind the shaft.
Ryanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:05 AM   #28
AdamAquatic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 222
Re: Completely new of Sling

Thanks for the report. What kind of range were you able to achieve? In the past, slings haven't worked very well for me and I typically get better range and accuracy with a pole spear.
AdamAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #29
slingnsteel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Singer Island
Posts: 158
Re: Completely new of Sling

whats the best way to get a length of shooting line out as to not restrict the shaft nor tangle on the shot... i was thinking of holding it with my pinkie or pinch it with the shaft as i drew back essentially acting as a line release? any tips or tricks anyone has used with their guerrilla would be appreciated.
slingnsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:35 PM   #30
NHspearguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 135
Re: Completely new of Sling

they still make these? i have found a few for sale, but the site says they dont have any?
NHspearguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bahamas, guerrilla, headhunter, sling, sling with reel

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com