Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations

Non-Gun DIY Projects and Customizations This section is for your DIY spearfishing projects and customization other then spearguns.

Old 11-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #31
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt
Re: DIY Mono Stringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren View Post
Dad wouldn't be happy if I blew up his tool..heh
He's not going to be happy when he sees you trashed the wheel. Perhaps your Dad has a dressing tool, or you can buy one of those for him.

What tool bit are you going to put into the dremel?
Old 11-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #32
Danyanimal

I highly doubt that stringer will work effectively. Making a stringer is super easy, really.

Attach your mono to one side of your belt with a loop and carabiner. Then attach your spike to the other side, with about two feet of mono. Then attach a small tuna clip to the other side of your belt. String the fish with the spike, then take the line that's attached to the spike and clip it onto the tuna clip. I have pictures of my set up and it has yet to fail. Got plenty of small tuna clips and have made many stringers for friends this way.

Amazon.com : Decoy Long Line Clips Stainless Steel Pack of 10 - 3" with Swivel : Hunting Decoy Accessories : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Decoy Long Line Clips Stainless Steel Pack of 10 - 3" with Swivel : Hunting Decoy Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Let me know if it makes sense and/or want me to post pictures.
Danyanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #33
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linghunt View Post
He's not going to be happy when he sees you trashed the wheel. Perhaps your Dad has a dressing tool, or you can buy one of those for him.

What tool bit are you going to put into the dremel?
I'm not too sure, but taking a look online I was thinking of a carbide cutter like this guy: }

I've done some cutting with end mill bits on bench press kind of work with 7075 before but it was a very long and drawn out process and had to pause, lubricate, stop and go kind of work.

Something tells me that it's not even necessary to grind the AL Rods and that I should just clamp it in a bench vise, center punch it, and drill through for my purposes.

Separate note:
I might post the awesome info you guys gave me to my personal website soon under DIY.
Would hate to lose valuable info.

Edit: Best of both worlds right here (joking of course heh.) By the way does anyone else use this
type of cutting tool besides me? I find that it's great when cutting speargun/polespear rubber, mono, cord, and other soft materials.

Last edited by Ren; 11-24-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #34
Linghunt

Not to be critical of your efforts, but you might want to consider some time spent on other forums.

Here is one thread concerning cross hole drilling.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-drilling-rod?

As you read this and don't understand what they are saying, you should consider focusing on some basics in the metal working area. There are vocational courses in everywhere.

Here is a book that starts with the basics. I have the 1st addition. My son (about your age) went thru this book cover to cover on his own. This made him much more valuable to me as he assists me.

He even sharpens drill bits with just the grinder. Once I got a Darex sharpener years ago he lost his edge on doing them by hand. But doing them by hand he gained the understanding about how a drill bit actually works. Just one example for you to think about.

Precision Machining Technology: Peter J. Hoffman, Eric S. Hopewell, Brian Janes: 9781285444543: Amazon.com: Books Precision Machining Technology: Peter J. Hoffman, Eric S. Hopewell, Brian Janes: 9781285444543: Amazon.com: Books

You are jumping to the end game and not doing your basics is what I see.

Go back to SpearAmerica site and look at their stringer setups. This might be a better way to go than your latest creation. Your design will work, but it's device that you will be fumbling with in the water vs focusing on the hunt.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:56 PM   #35
Ren

Quote:
Not to be critical of your efforts, but you might want to consider some time spent on other forums.

Here is one thread concerning cross hole drilling.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-drilling-rod?

As you read this and don't understand what they are saying, you should consider focusing on some basics in the metal working area. There are vocational courses in everywhere.

Here is a book that starts with the basics. I have the 1st addition. My son (about your age) went thru this book cover to cover on his own. This made him much more valuable to me as he assists me.

He even sharpens drill bits with just the grinder. Once I got a Darex sharpener years ago he lost his edge on doing them by hand. But doing them by hand he gained the understanding about how a drill bit actually works. Just one example for you to think about.

Precision Machining Technology: Peter J. Hoffman, Eric S. Hopewell, Brian Janes: 9781285444543: Amazon.com: Books

You are jumping to the end game and not doing your basics is what I see.

Go back to SpearAmerica site and look at their stringer setups. This might be a better way to go than your latest creation. Your design will work, but it's device that you will be fumbling with in the water vs focusing on the hunt.
Will strongly consider this and put it on my book list and taking courses when time allows.

Ultimately wanting something like Jeff's (Tin Man) Stringers:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4662.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	222905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4663.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	222906  

Last edited by Ren; 11-24-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #36
SpearOfDestiny1

Hey ren I found a fish holder for you. I think the durability is great and will last you for yours to come, conquering any rough terrain that mother nature will throw at you! as well as not losing any fish!!! I think it will eliminate any future weights on your waist while you wear your wetsuit
Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Your welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish holder.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	222908  
SpearOfDestiny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:25 PM   #37
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearOfDestiny1 View Post
Hey ren I found a fish holder for you. I think the durability is great and will last you for yours to come, conquering any rough terrain that mother nature will throw at you! as well as not losing any fish!!! I think it will eliminate any future weights on your waist while you wear your wetsuit
Kill 2 birds with one stone.

Your welcome
Thanks man. you made my day.

I found you a special dry suit that turns you into a japanese girl with fish too.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:26 PM   #38
SpearOfDestiny1

Best Friends Forever!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to consider me for having that suit
SpearOfDestiny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 07:32 PM   #39
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearOfDestiny1 View Post

Best Friends Forever!!!!

Thank you for taking the time to consider me for having that suit
how else are you gonna keep your hair and tuxedo nice after a dive?

Old 11-24-2015, 07:56 PM   #40
Wood Guy

Quote:
Will strongly consider this and put it on my book list and taking courses when time allows.

Ultimately wanting something like Jeff's (Tin Man) Stringers:
Been using these for more years than I can remember (keep in mind, I'm old and don't remember things too well! ). Left over shooting line, a piece of ss rod, or a cutoff from a shaft that was too long, some crimps, and you're there. You can also use it to kill the fish instead of a knife. Simple, but effective. You're kinda reinventing the wheel here, Ren.
Wood Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:42 AM   #41
Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Guy View Post
Been using these for more years than I can remember (keep in mind, I'm old and don't remember things too well! ). Left over shooting line, a piece of ss rod, or a cutoff from a shaft that was too long, some crimps, and you're there. You can also use it to kill the fish instead of a knife. Simple, but effective. You're kinda reinventing the wheel here, Ren.
The end-goal was to make something like the product I can buy at a spearfishing shop for pennies instead of dollars. $11 and I could get myself 6 costco hot dogs with 6 soda cups. That's 6 separate (unhealthy but cheap) meals not including going around for samples.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:11 PM   #42
Linghunt

Quote:
The end-goal was to make something like the product I can buy at a spearfishing shop for pennies instead of dollars. $11 and I could get myself 6 costco hot dogs with 6 soda cups. That's 6 separate (unhealthy but cheap) meals not including going around for samples.
When you are done, you can sell them to the dive shop for a $1 each and have a great margin as your cost is just pennies.

You can then get plenty of Hot Dogs and Soda.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #43
Ren

Quote:
When you are done, you can sell them to the dive shop for a $1 each and have a great margin as your cost is just pennies.

You can then get plenty of Hot Dogs and Soda.
Haha. I don't think I'd sell my creations just yet. More so when I think I end up getting the design right, I'll probably give some to friends.

Call it dumb, but I got into spearfishing because two cool guys were kind enough to lend a hand in the process of designing my own spear, and one was able to make awesome custom cnc'ed tips for me. *wink*

I really appreciate everyone's help and want to try to give back what I can to the community.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:14 AM   #44
hatterasfreedvr

I've always put the end loop around the pin on the dive belt as I put my belt on. It's secure and super easy to take your stringer on/off your belt this way. Only works with the Marseillaise style buckles though. Then tuck the pointy end in between the rubber where the belt passes through the weight. If you do it this way it's way easier to get your fish off your stringer when you're done, and you don't have to waddle down the beach with your fish slapping you in the legs when ur done. No added clutter to your belt either.
hatterasfreedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:25 AM   #45
Ren

I just realized that I have an extra 17-4 PH 5/16" Ray Odor shaft sitting around..not sure if I would need to heat treat it again after crosshole drilling..