Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

View Poll Results: Riffe or Koah
Riffe Euro 35 32.41%
Koah Euro 73 67.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #61
Ryfish

Re: Riffe OR!? Koah. I realize there are no bad choices here.

Ive shot Koahs and and most of Riffes guns and they are good guns. For the money it wouldn't hurt to look at Blacktip either they can make the gun custom to each individual. Also they just, put out a new euro series that is inclosed track and real sweet. I just got one (135cm 3 band) and have shot it a few time and it shots awesome, want to run it through its paces more for a full review though.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #62
jstiver09

X2 for Blacktip...Bubba is an awesome dude.
jstiver09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #63
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by triponempa View Post
I noticed one thing on this thread- all the people chiming in, just say they love whatever they already HAVE. Few have tried many others, yet they adamantly argue that theirs is the best.
If you have not owned or atleast shot ,(alot) BOTH of these guns- then you really don't KNOW which one is better do you?
Riffes I have owned
Hawaiian, island, euro 90 , euro130, comp 0

hybrids i owned
fourseas
wong

Rob allens

even had a over under euro, a mares fart gun, orphie, jbl, ab biller.
I'm sure I'm forgetting some brands.

I now own Koah bw euro , RA120 , homemade 130, riffe 130 and the orphie
out of all those guns guess which never gets used. I'd sell it if my name wasn't carved into it.

Ive never owned a sea sniper,hatch, ulu or any of the other custom guns out there. But this guy wanted an opinions about KOAH and Riffe. I made a post last fall about how the company in California treated me, it wasn't pretty I eventually took it down, because a friend asked me too.

In the end its my opinion on what works for me.

WAR DAM EAGLE

http://www.youtube.com/user/grouperdude
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #64
JTani

I own a 130 Riffe euro and a Koah 65" (not a euro) both shoot well, however I am disappointed in the craftsmanship of MY Koah. I typically only target mahi and ono (wahoo) so if I had to choose I would choose the Riffe simply because it's cheaper. I don't want to thread jack so maybe I'll write up something in a new topic later regarding my Koah. [/url]
JTani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #65
Lyterkillsling
Shaft'n Captain

Riffe OR!? Koah. I realize there are no bad choices here.

Koah.

BenthicOceanSports.com
Descentspearfishing.com

Last edited by Lyterkillsling; 05-23-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Lyterkillsling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:26 AM   #66
Mighty KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
One LAST thing, i promise. Considering the OP hasn't once chimed in, he apparently works at a dive shop, owns a c4 carbon, likes rollers, and lives around broward on the beach, oohh and apparently also owns a biller....ultimately what im getting at... I need to come up with another fake screen name so i can make bull shit posts like this too. I bet Tony (spearmax) is having a blast watching this unfold. You can sure tell its windy folks...

Dont you guys get it, we've been punked!!!!

When you're done reading this thread, here is some quality entertainment for you guys

Solid Potato Salad - The Ross Sisters (1944) - YouTube
I have a fake screen name for you! I heard it at the last blue wild!

KYTONY! (Lest anyone forget)
Mighty KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #67
kwtony
Snorkel Master

^^^ bahahahaha, thanks to people like you, itll never be forgotten.

Last edited by kwtony; 05-23-2014 at 05:57 PM.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #68
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTani View Post
I own a 130 Riffe euro and a Koah 65" (not a euro) both shoot well, however I am disappointed in the craftsmanship of MY Koah. I typically only target mahi and ono (wahoo) so if I had to choose I would choose the Riffe simply because it's cheaper. I don't want to thread jack so maybe I'll write up something in a new topic later regarding my Koah. [/url]
x2 , I like Barry's Black Tip, now thats a nice custom gun for the money.
He is also a stand up guy ,not a sheisster.
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #69
johndoelman
KOAH Spearguns

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropMan View Post
x2 , I like Barry's Black Tip, now thats a nice custom gun for the money.
He is also a stand up guy ,not a sheisster.
U mad bro?
Old 11-26-2014, 04:24 PM   #70
TopGunn

I love my 55" Koah battle axe for scuba, Im getting a Hatch Amero 55" on Friday for mainly freediving. I may try freeshafting with that as well, my Koah is going to be hard to beat though. As for customer service, John with Koah talked to me about guns for 30mins on the phone long before I owned one and offered to buy my gun back if i didn't like it. I think that makes him far from a shyster.
TopGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:35 AM   #71
scubawookie

I'm back. bought both. sold both.

so i ended up buying then selling both guns. To answer some questions I did work in a dive shop in the broward area. this shop did sell both guns... I bought the riffe first with a massive discount and then sold it for a decent profit. I sold it because while a good gun I got bored with it. Since I posted this I went through the motions of both guns (both euros) and ended up unhappy with them.

By primary profession I am an industrial designer in the medical devices field and ended up designing my own gun. I will be posting the pictures of it eventually. To answer the guy who was talking about OP I did make it out of carbon and yes its a roller. Carbon is actually a fairly easy material to work with if you know what you are doing! I recommend all to try it!

Thanks for making this such an epic thread guys! Sorry I didn't post my decisions and story! Its been a busy life! I will be sure to do more posting on the gun I made!
I will see you all at the blue wild!
scubawookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:24 AM   #72
Neptonic Systems
Official Sponsor

The Hatch Amero gun would be a great alternative. Built with Neptonics parts it's been getting a lot of attention on the East Coast with rave reviews. It's now the go-to Euro for three of our employees. They swear by it.

Quality you can trust from North America's Largest Selection of Spearfishing Equipment.
Neptonic Systems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #73
Nickataro

The Age Old Debate! Looks like you already made your decision but I have seen this question asked more than once and I am sure people will look at this in the future. I have shot both and they are both good guns, you are right there are no bad decisions here and it’s all about what feels more natural for you to shoot.

I was between the two myself and I now own a Koah euro. If i were looking to spend less money i would go with the lower end Riffes. once you hit the price point on a Riffe euro its pretty comparable to a Koah. I will second that John at Koah is a standup guy and take the time to help fit you to the right gun and answer your questions. I am more than satisfied with my decision.
Nickataro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #74
azdiver

I own both Riffe and Koah. Non-Euros both, both on the short side ~42 in for reef spearing. Riffe for long years, Koah just months. At 15 feet (pool) Koah is noticeable more accurate, both of them hitting my target 'fish' but Koah just hitting tighter groups. Didn't noticed much of a drag difference despite drastically different profile. Conclusion: Riffe on the tighter budget, if you want more convenient loading process and appreciate how the spear gun looks - then Koah. Will hit Mexico in a month so I can share real-life experience...
azdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:18 PM   #75
azdiver

My Koah shoots more accurate than my Riffe by about 20% at 15 ft (pool). Well, Wong shoots better yet, my next one will be Denton probably :-)... It is not all about accuracy though. Koah handles better than Riffe, looks better, loading is more convenient. If I will be limited by money - I would buy Riffe and spend rest on slip tip, camera mount etc. You wouldn't regret either of them.
azdiver is offline   Reply With Quote