Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:09 AM   #1
anthropisces

High Viz WaterProof Paint or fin skinz

I've always been able to see jfjf on the bottom better than any other freediver because he had yellow (If I recall the color correctly) paint on the back of his fins and some yellow tape on his snorkel.

What is the best paint for this? does anyone make fin skins that are yellow or otherwise high-viz?
Old 06-01-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
mikido

Re: High Viz WaterProof Paint or fin skinz

use foil tape
http://www.zoro.com/3m-preferred-con...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
mikido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Those glow in the dark AR 15 handles are nice when you dive down in the murk, sometimes all you may see is the divers handle. Im going with a neon green on my gun solely for this HI VIS aspect.

You have a few options, and painting your fins is one of them.

Consider a single pink or yellow weight on the back of your belt.

A friend of mine would clip his nooodle float on the back of his belt also, which would serve as a good marker underwater.

I wonder if some strips of glow in the dark tape might be cool on the back of your fins. Every time you surface they will recharge
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
anthropisces

We don't want to use foil tape on our fins because we have it on good authority that divers have had their feet bitten off in South Africa with this technique. The foil tape is too fish-like for my taste.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #5
jfjf

I used to be able to buy 2-inch wide yellow electrical tape from Harbor Freight, but they have not had that for a long time. They had some yellow duct tape, but it is thicker and does not hold up that well.

On some fins the rear side of the blade is smooth. Yellow tape adheres well to it. The backs of my MAKO FG blades are rough or textured, so no tape (or fin skins) I assume would stick.

I just re-did some fins, bought rustoleum, hi-vis yellow spray paint from Home Depot. it lasts for a long time on the back of fins. I have been a big proponent of hi-vis snorkel tape and fins for a long time. I am starting to see a lot of people adopting the yellow tape on the snorkel at least.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:32 PM   #6
Timinator

SCUBA Paint
http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-Mark-It-1-...item2eb7ef3f09

This is great on suitcases too to identify your bag quickly.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
anthropisces

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjf View Post
I used to be able to buy 2-inch wide yellow electrical tape from Harbor Freight, but they have not had that for a long time. They had some yellow duct tape, but it is thicker and does not hold up that well.

On some fins the rear side of the blade is smooth. Yellow tape adheres well to it. The backs of my MAKO FG blades are rough or textured, so no tape (or fin skins) I assume would stick.

I just re-did some fins, bought rustoleum, hi-vis yellow spray paint from Home Depot. it lasts for a long time on the back of fins. I have been a big proponent of hi-vis snorkel tape and fins for a long time. I am starting to see a lot of people adopting the yellow tape on the snorkel at least.
Right after my freediving classes I used to argue with you about how I had all the answers about freedive safety and that you didn't. Then we'd dive and I could see you perfectly on the bottom because of the yellow paint but I'd completely disappear.

In my freedive level 1 class I asked "what do we do if we can't find our buddy and if we don't see him at the surface after a reasonable period?". My instructor advised me to swim a grid pattern That's a scary enough proposition in murky conditions but would be quite challenging indeed when one considers the differences in currents on the bottom and surface and finning done while hunting. It is amazing that more stress is not put on actually maintaining visual contact with your buddy. Even a floatline is not that helpful sometimes

If you can't find your buddy it is going to be pretty difficult to assist them.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:27 PM   #8
sweatloaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropisces View Post
I've always been able to see jfjf on the bottom better than any other freediver because he had yellow (If I recall the color correctly) paint on the back of his fins and some yellow tape on his snorkel.

What is the best paint for this? does anyone make fin skins that are yellow or otherwise high-viz?
Just get the tape: http://reflectslight.com/orafol-refl...flective-tape/

Get fluorescent lime color for underwater -- the Stokes shift is going to be more useful than the reflectivity.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #9
geofri
Ectothermic member

I used this on my carbon fibers. cheap, very thin and tacky, and gave a good reflection. It's not aluminum, so it shouldn't stiffen a blade much if any. It's some cellophane like material, very little stretch but just enough I think.

Now I've switched to this ( v92)

Feel safer with buddies seeing me, but don't like looking like a fish as I kick.

I've thought about painting something hi vis on the back of my wetsuit.. if even just a white triangle.

Of all the videos I've seen with nippy ankle-biter sharks and the diver's fins frantically kicking in their faces.. adding bright flashes of light probably don't help the situation.
geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #10
anthropisces

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatloaf View Post
Just get the tape: http://reflectslight.com/orafol-refl...flective-tape/

Get fluorescent lime color for underwater -- the Stokes shift is going to be more useful than the reflectivity.
I don't want any prisms or anything that looks much like a fish scale. Maybe I'm being silly but we got some info from the boys in SA that sharks have bitten feet off and they felt reflective designs on the fins were a contributor.

Of course even plain, flat yellow reflects but it is not so reminiscent of a fish (to me at least) compared to the prismatic stuff.