Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:53 PM   #16
Un Orthodoc's

Re: Bay Guns

I 2nd the roller gun idea. I use a 36" roller gun from CG Guns with an Intova 300 lumen light on the end. The single band is quick to load and it handles like a pistol, but has the power of a gun twice as long. I haven't found a better gun for shooting in poor viz and under ledges. I've used the short Billers but when you come face to face with a big grouper you need a gun with some muscle.
Un Orthodoc's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:10 PM   #17
cldomson1
Converted freediver...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thMover View Post
I 2nd the roller gun idea. I use a 36" roller gun from CG Guns with an Intova 300 lumen light on the end. The single band is quick to load and it handles like a pistol, but has the power of a gun twice as long. I haven't found a better gun for shooting in poor viz and under ledges. I've used the short Billers but when you come face to face with a big grouper you need a gun with some muscle.
Can you post some pics? That sounds perfect.
C
Old 09-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #18
Un Orthodoc's

Here are a few pics. It has an oil rubbed finish instead of varnish which is nice because it only takes a few seconds to erase battle scars and make it look like new again. It uses a closed track so it's extremely accurate. I've used longer shooting line (double or triple-wrapped it) and shot fish at 20' with it. If I know I'm shooting smaller fish I just reduce the power (band tension) by using the middle post on the underside of the gun instead of the rear post. It really is a versatile gun. Definitely my favorite to shoot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roller.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	210979   Click image for larger version

Name:	roller2.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	210980   Click image for larger version

Name:	roller3.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	210981  
Old 09-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #19
shootin-blanks

cool gun.. who built it?

S/B
shootin-blanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:50 PM   #20
Un Orthodoc's

Chris Gardner at CG Guns. (407) 923-1775
Old 10-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #21
scubasteve311

I use a JBL international LIGHTNING 42" I paid $168 at Jim's dive shop. Good beginner gun or for the expert The barrel is only 1" in diameter so it moves through the water effortlessly. The shaft is thinner so it move through the water faster. I'm not a expert but this gun has worked very well for me. I'm used to shooting in visibility of 2' short to around 8' Max at the Gandy bridge old port of Tampa bay. I'm hitting donkies all day long. Don't forget you can always shot from the hip for closer shots. Good luck.
scubasteve311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #22
HOTDOG

I live in and hunt the bay. Grew up in Apollo Beach. I am not 13 yrs. old but Apex had it right at first. Small midhhandle would be the best. Maneuverability and low vis are a good match. Depends on the budget, for cheap go with the biller, but for the ultimate bay gun call Bubba. I saw some guns he made for my friends in the Apollo Beach crew for nationals a year or two ago and they looked like the best setup for a bay gun I can imagine. Just my 2 cents.

Definitely get a reel and leave the drag super loose, or simply tie a streamline neon float line on the back with or without the float. Helps not to lose your gun Good luck!
HOTDOG is offline   Reply With Quote