Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Off-Topic

California Off-Topic Remember that politics/religion and general off-topic belong in Special Forums.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Haysew

weed

dose smoking weed affect your freediving/ spearfishing
Haysew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Re: weed

for some people they say they can relax more when smoking, but on a medical standpoint it actually effects your respiratory system and your circulatory system as well. With the advent of the medicinal marijuana there have become MANY other methods of receiving your medication. edibles and oils are what im mainly thinking of.

The way i understand it(and i could be completely wrong), is when you receive a hit of thc your blood vessels dilate allowing more blood flow and oxygen. (it does a lot more but for argument sakes we'll stay on point) The problem is, your heart has to work harder to keep your blood adequately pumping through your veins and increases its rate. So while you are normally sitting in a trans on the couch and you dont really consider checking your BPM, its probably increasing. That kills your bottom time. At least it does for me.

When i smoked i couldn't do more then a 30 second and that was pushing it. Thats still diving to 40+feet tho . I know some people that smoke cigarettes between spots or smoke and drink coffee before they get in the water and do pretty damn good in the water. No deep dives but good bottom times at 30-35+

But personally where i noticed my bottom times to have increased (and the depths) the most was after i quit all that shit. No coffee at least a day or two before (its hard sometimes because i work 12-18 hour days) and no smoking. Water and more water. And when i think i didnt want any more water, i drank some water....

When you start going deeper and pushing those limits you must have people that are capable of diving to get you should something happen. So you cant dive deeper then they do. I dont have the luxury of always having people that can dive deeper then 50+ feet all the time i have to keep my max dives to a minimum...which takes a lot of self control sometimes. Plus my schedule is so crazy its hard to even get out these days. Watch this video, and then watch it again. http://vimeo.com/2060317 itll teach you and your buddies the signs of the shallow water blackout and what to do if it happens. Ive watched it about 5 times and will probably put it on again later today just because.

******sorry for the long ass response, if you dont read any of it please just watch the video...*********
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
SDDiver5

It definitely effects me. My bottom time blows if I have been smoking. My roommates smoke many many times a day so sometimes it is hard for me to resist. Did pretty well this summer tho! I would assume it varies between people.

It does make diving pretty interesting tho to say the least haha
SDDiver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
mx5coco

the water kills your buzz anyway.. but i always burn first
mx5coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
LIfishslayer

Not only does it increase your heart rate it also limits the ability to carry O2 in the blood. When you smoke anything the CO binds to your hemoglobin and limits how much O2 your rbc can carry. Same goes for any source of carbon monoxide. Competitve freedivers will avoid the stern of the boat to not be exposed to the exhaust for same reason. If you want a buzz before freediving better off with edibles or vaporizer.
LIfishslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:48 AM   #6
unkabonka

ask tailsurfer
unkabonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:18 AM   #7
2fishin2
Pacific Spearo

when you're in the pokey for an illegal substance, its fairly safe to say the answer to your question is: YES! Oh yeah if freediving wasn't dangerous enough, lets go ahead and add a mood altering drug into the equation. IDIOTS!

Last edited by 2fishin2; 10-08-2012 at 04:46 AM.
2fishin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #8
kwtony
Snorkel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishin2 View Post
when you're in the pokey for an illegal substance, its fairly safe to say the answer to your question is: YES! Oh yeah if freediving wasn't dangerous enough, lets go ahead and add a mood altering drug into the equation. IDIOTS!
last I checked marijuana was legal in cali and in 13 other states. If this thread were talking about other serious drugs I would consider your post a valid one. But let's be honest, the mood changing part was about the only point you brought up that actually made any sense. When was the last time you heard of someone dying because they smoked before diving?? I'm not condoning it and really don't want this to turn into another spearboard battle, but this thread had some very valid points and it was kept civil, till you came in. We can understand how you feel about this awful, terrible, horrible drug, but calling everyone an idiot here doesnt prove your point.
kwtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
SDDiver5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
We can understand how you feel about this awful, terrible, horrible drug, but calling everyone an idiot here doesnt prove your point.
You really think its that bad?
SDDiver5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #10
CaptainLeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDiver5 View Post
You really think its that bad?
I think he's being sarcastic. That being said, it is technically still illegal in Ca, you just need to get your card which is pretty easy to get.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

yes it does. my friends cant make it past 15ft, making them useless on the boat.

WAR DAM EAGLE

http://www.youtube.com/user/grouperdude
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
Ethan kills
OG Troll

Haters

Jay's Rap - YouTube
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
Powerhead
Used Member

To me diving is a drug in itself. I have no need to smoke before diving, or drinking for that matter.

It's just to dangerous for me.

In alll my years of spearing I did it once, just once. Had a 12ft Tiger Shark roll up on me and he meant business! I had that one bad experience and that was enough for me to alway keep a clear mind when diving.

But, Do as you wish. It's a personal preference.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
Powerhead
Used Member

I also see that you have a grand total of 16 post and you're asking questions like this??
Old 10-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
FLETCHOSAURUS

I use to burn before I dove years ago but I would bug out bumpin into rocks and stuff. 2fishin does have a solid point. This sport is dangerous enough. I don't think it would be a good idea esp on deeper stuff.

Powerhead, that must have been a crazy experience.
┃┈┈┈┈┈-●┈┈┈ ╰━━ ┃
┣━━━━━━╯ ┈┈┈┈┈┈┃
╰━━━━━━━━━━━━━╯
FLETCHOSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote