Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Old 03-07-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
mowl

To Buy or Not to Buy; That is the Question!

I'm very tempted to buy a kayak for spearfishing + some fishing + exploring in the near future.

(east = onshore) & (north east is the dominant wind here)
Currently, I walk/skate about 500metres to the water and from there I choose where to go, one end of the beach offers protection from north east winds, and the other protection from south east winds.

- 90% of the time I go out alone
- 10% of the time I go out with a friend (none are spearos)
- With a kayak the furthest I'll venture from the nearest shore would be 200-500metres. Starting off without 100metres til I get use to it.
- I'd start with using it as a float and then anchor it once I get use to it.
- I only spear on flat days, I'd only kayak on flat days and there is a harbour next to the beach so exit/entry is not an issue.

Main reasons for wanting a kayak:
- I feel it would almost be like having a diving partner, if anything were to happen at the moment it is a long swim to shore, but with a kayak, it would one take a couple seconds/minutes to get out of the water.
- It would allow for more adventuring (fishing and exploring as well as spearing) for example nearby bombie that's just out of reach for a solo swim.

I've found a few cheap kayaks (at least I think they are) nearby so I don't need to pay postage fees or anything. They come with wheels so I would simply stack my gear on and walk the 500metres to the water, and the paddle to wherever I choose.

The first link, I can get for $399 on their site (posted ebay since more pics)
Max capacity; 200kg (i only way around 70kg, 5'9)
first kayak: Full Size: 280 (L) x 78 (w ) x 36 (H)cm
second : Full Size: 300 (L) x 85 (w ) x 34 (H)cm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Single-Se...item2a33a56853

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Single-Se...item27dfe67e30

Questions!
-Will the kayaks be ok for spearing? Enough storage etc
-Would there be any difference in the sizes? ones a bit longer and closer to the water, but I am not that heavy..
-Is the more expensive one worth the extra money? $399 vs $549 (both come with all the bonus stuff (only care about the wheels + seat)
-Does colour matter? There's red/green/blue/yellow I think
-I plan to have a loop of rope on the kayak and just clip my current float line to that via a shark-clip - Will that be enough? (3 splice rope)
-Is this a really bad idea? ie too much effort/not worth the money etc
-If you own a kayak and were in my situation, would you buy one?

I think that's about it, you don't need to answer all my questions but any insight into this would help.

edit: I'm on the south coast of Australia, if that matters
mowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:25 AM   #2
Markio
Shoot to eat

Re: To Buy or Not to Buy; That is the Question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowl View Post
I'm very tempted to buy a kayak for spearfishing + some fishing + exploring in the near future.

(east = onshore) & (north east is the dominant wind here)
Currently, I walk/skate about 500metres to the water and from there I choose where to go, one end of the beach offers protection from north east winds, and the other protection from south east winds.

- 90% of the time I go out alone
- 10% of the time I go out with a friend (none are spearos)
- With a kayak the furthest I'll venture from the nearest shore would be 200-500metres. Starting off without 100metres til I get use to it.
- I'd start with using it as a float and then anchor it once I get use to it.
- I only spear on flat days, I'd only kayak on flat days and there is a harbour next to the beach so exit/entry is not an issue.

Main reasons for wanting a kayak:
- I feel it would almost be like having a diving partner, if anything were to happen at the moment it is a long swim to shore, but with a kayak, it would one take a couple seconds/minutes to get out of the water.
- It would allow for more adventuring (fishing and exploring as well as spearing) for example nearby bombie that's just out of reach for a solo swim.

I've found a few cheap kayaks (at least I think they are) nearby so I don't need to pay postage fees or anything. They come with wheels so I would simply stack my gear on and walk the 500metres to the water, and the paddle to wherever I choose.

The first link, I can get for $399 on their site (posted ebay since more pics)
Max capacity; 200kg (i only way around 70kg, 5'9)
first kayak: Full Size: 280 (L) x 78 (w ) x 36 (H)cm
second : Full Size: 300 (L) x 85 (w ) x 34 (H)cm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Single-Se...item2a33a56853

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Single-Se...item27dfe67e30

Questions!
-Will the kayaks be ok for spearing? Enough storage etc
-Would there be any difference in the sizes? ones a bit longer and closer to the water, but I am not that heavy..
-Is the more expensive one worth the extra money? $399 vs $549 (both come with all the bonus stuff (only care about the wheels + seat)
-Does colour matter? There's red/green/blue/yellow I think
-I plan to have a loop of rope on the kayak and just clip my current float line to that via a shark-clip - Will that be enough? (3 splice rope)
-Is this a really bad idea? ie too much effort/not worth the money etc
-If you own a kayak and were in my situation, would you buy one?

I think that's about it, you don't need to answer all my questions but any insight into this would help.

edit: I'm on the south coast of Australia, if that matters
Here is the deal man;
I like my little kayak for getting me to the near by spots...if I have to worry about winds then I really would consider a long kayak for better penetrations in the winds. My little kayak (Malibu Mini X), although I have not use it much, it works great, it gets me from A to B in short distance, It also paddles well. More importantly the kayak gives you sense of comfort. You can rest, eat, watch, relax and feel protected. And also allows you to check out near by spots and for the most part it will always bring you home. It is also good for viz and keep you off the water.
With that said....I bought mine used, i would never buy new myself.
$300.00 for a Malibu Mini X.
If you have a place to store it, why not. You can always sell it.
Markio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
JohnMc

I have a kayak of similar dimensions but the max load is 120 Kg. I am 90Kg, plus anchor, weight belt etc, I get very near to the maximum load but it still works great. For the distances you are talking about it will be absolutely fine, I took mine over a three mile open water trip to a local island and it was ok. To be honest the tide, wind and waves were tossing me about a bit and tracking needed constant adjustment but it did the trick. Mine cost me £250 (Sterling) and I am glad I brought it. When I'm in the market for another kayak I will go a bit longer for the storage and load but the smaller kayaks are under rated in my opinion. Its the same as everything, equipment is only as good as the man using it. Just bare in mind that a kayak will handle differently when empty and when fully loaded. Spend some time getting used to it without all the gear first and if you do take it out further away from shore, be confident that you can make the return journey. If your gonna drift fish with your kayak take the local tides and wind into real consideration and give obstacles a wide berth, kayaks can really drift in strong currents or winds. Your situation sounds ideal for a kayak, its also nice just to float around watching the world go by when your not under the water, its good for the soul
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
Goody1986

These guys are right-on. I am aware there is a kayak company called Viking Kayaks, based in Australia and New Zealand. They have a great product line that you should look into. They're designed for diving, fishing, all ocean activities. They have some good videos on their kayaks too.

http://www.vikingkayaks.co.nz/
http://www.vikingkayak.com.au/
Goody1986 is offline   Reply With Quote