Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Old 01-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
Ron S

Go Pro: Really???

I bought two of the Hero cameras on sale for $200 each for my boys as Christmas Presents. Just got around to pulling them out and trying to figure out how to use them.
Is this right? No viewing screen, no viewfinder? Little plastic cameras that look like toys? Is this really what everyone's so excited about? Once I waded through all the different instruction books to find one in English, it was pretty sparse as far as how to actually use these things.
At this point I'm thinking I just blew $400 that could have been spent toward real cameras! I just gotta be missing something, as everyone seems to actually like these things. What am I missing here???
Ron.
Ron S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
phil herranen

Re: Go Pro: Really???

the point is it is a very small ,wearable ,hd video cam . its designed to be mounted ,and not get in the way,it is not used as a point and shoot
phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
Chris Lupin

If you want to use it as a point and shoot: http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/lcd-bacpac/

But for what we use these cams for, theres really not many situations where I wish I had the LCD screen.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #4
ApneaAddict

Ron,
The idea is to have a bullet-proof, water proof, cheap camera that can go where you go. Its not intended to be used as a camcorder or point-and-shoot, but instead as a Point of View camera for mountain biking, snowboarding, skiing, diving, spearfishing, surfing, driving, etc etc. If your kids like outdoor sports, I'm sure they can find a way to use the gopros to get some pretty cool footage. If you had more of a camcorder use in mind, then yeah, you should return them.
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #5
Ron S

My kids are skiers and divers. They wanted cameras for pretty much what you guys are describing. I just tossed the SD card from my old 5 mp point and shoot into the Go Pro and took a few photos and videos. It works OK, but the quality doesn't compare to my old, cheap Canon. Won't come close to my 7mp Canon point and shoot that I use in a Canon housing for my diving, but hey, they're kids. I guess it'll do for now. It appears that you can get away without a viewfinder because the lens is so very wide angled.
I recon I'll get some kind of mount for their ski helmets, and then later get the flat lenses for diving.
Now I need to get them a couple SD cards. I guess 4mp will work?
Thanks guys!
Ron.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
My kids are skiers and divers. They wanted cameras for pretty much what you guys are describing. I just tossed the SD card from my old 5 mp point and shoot into the Go Pro and took a few photos and videos. It works OK, but the quality doesn't compare to my old, cheap Canon. Won't come close to my 7mp Canon point and shoot that I use in a Canon housing for my diving, but hey, they're kids. I guess it'll do for now. It appears that you can get away without a viewfinder because the lens is so very wide angled.
I recon I'll get some kind of mount for their ski helmets, and then later get the flat lenses for diving.
Thanks guys!
Ron.

Get a flat lens or the thing is almost worthless underwater. I use mine Hero HD 1 almost exclusively for video. I had it set up for the R-5 setting and never mess with it.

It has a focus from about 6 inches to infinity, it has decent light sensitivity (I have used mine to 185 feet in clear water) and the R-5 setting is wide enough that you don't need a viewfinder.

Rather than looking at the camera itself, take a look at some of the videos people have shot with them... Pretty decent for the price.

I think my card is 16 and the battery goes before the card is filled.

This is a recent video I shot of a very recently discovered WW2 Airplane wreck.

Helldiver SB2C Plane Wreck Off Jupiter Florida - YouTube
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
kmoose
Team Headhunter

It think a 4g is too small for it's intended use. I would go with 16-32g. You will probably also be dissapointed if you don't have a pretty powerful editing software as well.

As others have stated, we are excited about the Gopro due to it's size and track record for being water tight. Mine is mounted to my mask and I now wear it every time I dive. You never know when something cool is going to happen. Here is a video shot on a dive in 250...... Spearfishing Double Tap - Monster Black and Gag Grouper - YouTubeThey really are great compact video cameras but if you bought it for taking stills you'll be disapointed.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
jdaltonscheurn

I just got back from CES this past weekend. I own a Gopro and love it but I will say that there are a few companies that are coming out with similar type cameras. One in particular is made in Germany and they said in about 6 months it will be released. It is a bit smaller then a GoPro and has a built in viewing screen. The point is I think Gopro is going to have to step up their game just a bit to keep up with everyone. The cameras shoot fantastic video but the features of the camera are going to get behind.
jdaltonscheurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
Hungry1

Quote:
Thanks guys!
Ron.
Did you buy the HD camera? If your shots aren't very clean there is a chance you bought the older non HD version.
Hungry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
Ron S

I had to check the instructions, but fortunately yes, I did buy the HD cameras. These were the HD cameras that everyone had on sale because the newer version had just come out.
Hey I was watching some of the awsome videos you guys have made and I noticed that, (assuming ya'll are using the flat lenses), the video quality wasn't bad on the surface either. If I switch to the Mako flat lenses, will they still work for things like snow skiing? Thanks for your patience guys!
Ron.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #11
Alec

Quote:
I had to check the instructions, but fortunately yes, I did buy the HD cameras. These were the HD cameras that everyone had on sale because the newer version had just come out.
Hey I was watching some of the awsome videos you guys have made and I noticed that, (assuming ya'll are using the flat lenses), the video quality wasn't bad on the surface either. If I switch to the Mako flat lenses, will they still work for things like snow skiing? Thanks for your patience guys!
Ron.
yes, the flat lense should work fine under any situation. sorry you didnt know what you were buying into, but this is a spectacular camera for what we're doing. the ease of operation only becomes easier with more experience. its actually quite simple once you figure it out. good luck
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
gogators27
Lets shoot some fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
It think a 4g is too small for it's intended use. I would go with 16-32g. You will probably also be dissapointed if you don't have a pretty powerful editing software as well.

As others have stated, we are excited about the Gopro due to it's size and track record for being water tight. Mine is mounted to my mask and I now wear it every time I dive. You never know when something cool is going to happen. Here is a video shot on a dive in 250...... Spearfishing Double Tap - Monster Black and Gag Grouper - YouTube
They really are great compact video cameras but if you bought it for taking stills you'll be disapointed.
All I got to say is nice bounce Moose!
gogators27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #13
Ron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearsouthFL View Post
yes, the flat lense should work fine under any situation. sorry you didnt know what you were buying into, but this is a spectacular camera for what we're doing. the ease of operation only becomes easier with more experience. its actually quite simple once you figure it out. good luck
Well it's my own fault for not looking into these things before buying. However now that I understand them a bit better, I think I "accidentally" made the right purchase. They're actually a lot simpler to use than my Canon, and for what my kids want out of their camaras, (constantly making "action" videos, etc.), I think these will work much better than what I use. And obviously, from what you guys are doing, they're also capable of some very high quality footage!
Ron.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
Megabeast

Quote:
Well it's my own fault for not looking into these things before buying. However now that I understand them a bit better, I think I "accidentally" made the right purchase. They're actually a lot simpler to use than my Canon, and for what my kids want out of their camaras, (constantly making "action" videos, etc.), I think these will work much better than what I use. And obviously, from what you guys are doing, they're also capable of some very high quality footage!
Ron.
I like that it's small with only a few buttons, makes it easier to deal with when wearing dive gloves. Just gotta make sure it's recording before you roll over... or press record after you get to the bottom (by then you've probably missed the best fish opportunities though).

It does look pretty chincy outside the housing... but simple is usually better.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #15
Mr Paul
Queerboard Kook

Which one would you prefer to carry around all day with you when youre trying to spearfish?
Mr Paul is offline   Reply With Quote