Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
BradThornbrough

Completely new of Sling

I wanted to post a question here on spearboard to see if I could get some help from some of the members. I am in the process of releasing our new sling, the GUERRILLA, and it has some very unique features. One of those features is the top and bottom "rail" system. This gives you 20" of space to mount various accessories, such as a reel, gopro, etc. One of the inspirations for making this rail system was the archery industry. There are a handful of bow makers out there and, due to somewhat 'standardized' mounting points, there are dozens of companies making aftermarket parts. These part developers come up with some great ideas year after year and the equipment is constantly improving.
http:

Hawaiian slings have always been my favorite way to spearfish, but nothing had changed in decades. Well, now things are changing. And by adding this rail system to our new sling, we are hoping that some of you might come up with some killer ideas on how to accessorize a sling. We are already planning a gopro mount, line release, and a flashlight holder, but we know that there have got to be some other great ideas out there. Or specific uses requiring special gear. And what we would like to offer is our help. If you have a great idea for the Guerrilla sling, we want you to make it! Soon, we will be publishing specs for the rail system to our website to help you out. And if your accessory gets our approval, we will add it to our website, as well as direct traffic to you and your website. Even if you decide to just make something custom for yourself, we would love you to post it here on spearboard and we will post it on our site for other Guerrilla users to see.

Our goal is to help create a community of sling users who share tips and techniques with each other and help inspire others to try putting down there guns once in a while and give a sling a try. We hope we can get others as excited as we are, and we look forward to seeing what you come up with!
BradThornbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
joel mcqueen

Re: Completely new of Sling

more pics some with shaft inserted .. cant tell how you hold it .. and ive been makeing and shoot slings for 30 years
joel mcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Snapper Mangler

Um hows it work?
Snapper Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
spearo365

Here is a link of the Guerrilla in action.
The most Powerful Hawaiian Sling Ever.......from Headhunter Spearfishing - YouTube

And link to his webpage!

http://www.headhunterspearfishing.co...ucts/guerrilla

I had the pleasure of being one of the lucky people that got test this prototype while in the Bahama's and it is nothing short of awesome we used both reel's and a break away system. It's light powerful and a genius design.

I have no affiliation with the company but I'm super excited about it as I think it is a game changer for slinging steel.
spearo365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
AdamAquatic

Wow, that's pretty neat! I especially like that a break away system and a reel can be used with it. Generally speaking, I don't like slings, but that might be different enough to try. By looking at it I'm guessing the position of the handle can be changed by the user? Is that correct?
AdamAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
3prongslayer

heres how it works
The most Powerful Hawaiian Sling Ever.......from Headhunter Spearfishing - YouTube
Old 01-26-2014, 11:38 PM   #7
AdamAquatic

It looks cool, but the price tag is a bit steep. $150 and that doesn't come with much. It looks like they don't have a clear shipping date yet either.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
LBI SPEARO

Question Re: Completely new of Sling

What exactly is a "breakaway system?" Also, how does the reel line attach to the spear? It looks like it moves down the spear as the spear moves forward? Do you get decent distance with this setup, or does the line cause too much drag? The video seems to show the shooter having to get very close to the fish. Also, what size rubber is recommended?

Last edited by LBI SPEARO; 02-01-2014 at 09:13 AM. Reason: addition
LBI SPEARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
3prongslayer

it looks like 3/8 or 1/2 rubber to me
Old 02-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAquatic View Post
It looks cool, but the price tag is a bit steep. $150 and that doesn't come with much. It looks like they don't have a clear shipping date yet either.
The Aluminum extruded body, looks to be a custom design, Cost to have that made is not cheap with upfront die cost. You also need to understand the amount of time Brad spent on this concept. I'm sure he went thru a few revs to get it to this point.

He also had to invest capital cost to get it all rolling, and take the risk it might be a bust, and lose his investment.

Many items in the Spear-o market are over priced, but I wouldn't consider this one in that group.

For reference: 80/20 is a Company that makes Aluminum Extruded parts and this stuff is great for making tables, tooling fixtures, and time and skills required to design with this stuff is easy with the variety of choices they have. The cost of their products are not cheap, but in the long run, it is for one can save in design and construction costs.

http://www.8020.net/T-Slot-1.asp

The T-shot on the bottom can mount many different items.

The DIY-ers out there might consider this material for your own projects, you don't need fancy tools to make the baseline for a design.

Anyway, my 2 cents. I don't see over pricing here. -John
Old 02-01-2014, 10:36 PM   #11
AdamAquatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linghunt View Post
The Aluminum extruded body, looks to be a custom design, Cost to have that made is not cheap with upfront die cost. You also need to understand the amount of time Brad spent on this concept. I'm sure he went thru a few revs to get it to this point.

He also had to invest capital cost to get it all rolling, and take the risk it might be a bust, and lose his investment.

Many items in the Spear-o market are over priced, but I wouldn't consider this one in that group.

For reference: 80/20 is a Company that makes Aluminum Extruded parts and this stuff is great for making tables, tooling fixtures, and time and skills required to design with this stuff is easy with the variety of choices they have. The cost of their products are not cheap, but in the long run, it is for one can save in design and construction costs.

http://www.8020.net/T-Slot-1.asp

The T-shot on the bottom can mount many different items.

The DIY-ers out there might consider this material for your own projects, you don't need fancy tools to make the baseline for a design.

Anyway, my 2 cents. I don't see over pricing here. -John
Don't get me wrong. My company manufactures many different products so I know what's involved behind launching a new product. I certainly don't mean to take anything away from Brad either. I think his concept is really very cool and have brought it up in other forum threads. In fact I nearly bought one despite my past experience with slings being unpleasant. I guess what really bothers me is that when you buy this particular product is that it's not all inclusive and ready to use out of the box. On top of that, I have no idea how long I'll have to wait before I actually receive it. So... When will I get it? What shaft do I need? Replacement bands? I really like that I can attach a reel to it, but what kind of reel works with this product? Are those items even available yet? How much will they cost? With so many unknown variables, $150 is a lot to ask in my book. If it was a complete product that would ship in a week with a higher price tag it would be easier to justify spending the money. I hope that's more clear. Whatever the case, I wish him the best of luck and look forward to when the additional products are more readily available if they aren't already.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #12
LBI SPEARO

Exactly, how does line attach to spear? What is the ideal band width for typical person with this sling? Need more videos of the sling in use to confirm it superiority claim, accuracy and distance. Otherwise, no better than wooden handle simple traditional sling in my opinion.
LBI SPEARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:22 AM   #13
Linghunt

Send a message via Skype™ to Linghunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAquatic View Post
I guess what really bothers me is that when you buy this particular product is that it's not all inclusive and ready to use out of the box. On top of that, I have no idea how long I'll have to wait before I actually receive it. So... When will I get it? What shaft do I need? Replacement bands? I really like that I can attach a reel to it, but what kind of reel works with this product? Are those items even available yet? How much will they cost? With so many unknown variables, $150 is a lot to ask in my book. If it was a complete product that would ship in a week with a higher price tag it would be easier to justify spending the money. I hope that's more clear. Whatever the case, I wish him the best of luck and look forward to when the additional products are more readily available if they aren't already.
Adam, you make very good points I agree with. The description of "what you actually get in box" for $150 is vague. We were looking at the package from a different perspective. You were looking to buy, I was looking and just thinking it was kool concept that wasn't marketed at $400.

My bad to assume it's usable out of the box. I was looking at product a little closer, it could be way more concise on what you actually get, and what "add-on's" are required to make it work functional and associated cost for those.

If it's not a complete package, that is kind-a crazy, if you ask me.

Schedule and when it's available is important too, for vacation plans etc.

Thanks for the clarity on what you are thinking. -John
Old 02-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #14
Snapper Mangler

Any news on this yet?
I've been seriously considering one with a reel for the bahamas.
It looks like the line has a slide ring, but what stops the slide ring and how does it not get hung up in the body of the sling while shooting?
Snapper Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
grouperdude
hard core snorkeler

ACCESSORIES: The Guerrilla comes with the sling body and handle, powerband, cup, and everything needed to have a fully functioning sling right out of the box(Shaft and Reel not included). If you want to step it up to the next level, the Guerrilla with accept almost any spearfishing reel(we have tried it with Riffe, Hammerhead, Spearmaster, Rob Allen, and Beuchat), a float line kit, gopro mount, and more. We are also working on a line release kit for the sling!

WAR DAM EAGLE

http://www.youtube.com/user/grouperdude
grouperdude is offline   Reply With Quote