Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Old 09-25-2003, 08:58 AM   #1
Nsearch

Question Scrubbing Tanks?

With the vast amt of knowledge most of you *old* folks have.......could someone explain the use of these and the kinds of set-ups you would recommend?

What circumstances are they needed/recommended?

Typical sizes for a single diver?

Is this a set-up typically brought with you on a dive or left in the boat?
Old 09-25-2003, 09:08 AM   #2
Dive4Blood
The Wizard Of HOD

Scrubbing tanks? I recommend steel wool, and a little Ajax.

Seriously, most of the guys who O2 scrub in the MG use a 13 cu ft AL stage bottle rigged with a scuba-duba to their main tank. Mixes run from 60%-100%. Switching to the stage during your safety stop will do wonders for your deco status, and allow you to dive more/more safely provided you have a multigas computer.
You need to be certified for technical nitox to buy mixes <40%.

AJ Suarez
Dive4Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:13 AM   #3
Dive4Blood
The Wizard Of HOD

If you are going to do multiple deco scrubs, it's a good idea to have an LP120 on the boat filled with the deco mix so you can refill your stage bottle with a transfer whip. I have found the 13 cu. ft. stage lasts me about 8 minutes breathing at 15'.

AJ Suarez
Dive4Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 08:36 PM   #4
Big Pig
Ken Jones

When we are diving deep, 150ft plus, we use air in our pony bottles. Then an Alum 80 with 80% O2 that is attached to a float ball with 15 feet of line and dropped to the divers when they are coming up. I know this isn't perfect since the topside people can loose track of the divers, but most of the time the diver gets to hit on the 80%. I don't like to use higher O2 mixes in my pony bottles because of the potential of O2 tox at depth.