Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #1
Hpwatson

Where to buy rubber for rigging bungees

I'm wanting to rig my own bungees and have been trying to find the best place to find that small OD rubber that is commonly used. I'd like it to be as slim as possible while still being able to thread it with dyneema. Where is the best place to buy it?

Edit - I should clarify I'm talking about a shooting line bungee, not a float line bungee.

Last edited by Hpwatson; 08-07-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Hpwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
sealark

Re: Where to buy rubber for rigging bungees

E bay about .50 a foot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
sealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
Mikel_24

Have you thought about how are you going to thread it with the dyneema afterwards?

Not having done it before I would try to do it just like it is done to lay cables in conduits for long straight stretches... using compressed air. I don't know how it would work with the latex tubing though....

Mikel
Mikel_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
Hpwatson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Have you thought about how are you going to thread it with the dyneema afterwards?

Not having done it before I would try to do it just like it is done to lay cables in conduits for long straight stretches... using compressed air. I don't know how it would work with the latex tubing though....

Mikel
I guess I should clarify - I meant a shooting line bungee, not a float line bungee. My bad.

My plan is to rig a short bungee section at the end of my shooting line rather than have it as a separate component. I'm thinking just 2 inches or so, so I should be able to just thread it with a piece of wire.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #5
Marco

Wherever they sell polespear rubber. Get the thinner. It's the same. Very easy to rig. There's videos in youtube.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
Hpwatson

I found this and plan on giving it a try:

https://www.amazon.com/Spearit-LATEX...8-8&th=1&psc=1

1/4" OD and high stretch sounds perfect.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
popgun pete

To arrange the cord inside the bungee you tie a loop in one end and then a knot which will be the bump that secures that end of the bungee with a constrictor knot tied around the end of the rubber tube to trap the rubber tubing on that knot. Then you put the end loop on a hook affixed to a wall, knot the other end of the cord further down and at a distance around double the length of the rubber tube length to create another bump and grip the rubber tube and stretch it down the cord to pull it past that second knot. When the rubber tube is released it will contract with the cord neatly coiled up inside it. The last loop is tied in the bottom end and a second constrictor knot tied around the lower knot now hidden in the tubing and you are done.

You can also use wire crimps instead of constrictor knots as unlike power bands those short bungees don’t get highly stretched.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:47 PM   #8
Hpwatson

Thanks yes that's how I've always threaded larger bungees or roller bands, it just took me a while to find the small rubber for shooting line bungees. Think I finally located some.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:58 PM   #9
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

https://www.makospearguns.com/Pole-S...p/mpspbm.1.htm

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:39 AM   #10
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

I've made my own bungees for a while now and it's super easy. But I would make a case for using silicone. Thing is, there's some weird incompatibility going on with the latex and the brass swivel. I have seen so many shooting line bungees rot away at the end touching the brass. Hence, if you can get your hands on a silicone tube, that should help.
Alternatively, leave an inch or so between the latex and the swivel as a few brand made ones have begun doing.
Why the vast majority of manufacturers still don't separate the latex from the brass I don't know.

This one is a bit long but I think you can see the gap between the rubber and the swivel:

I also like folding the ends over the constrictor knots, it makes it look pro;-):
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:51 AM   #11
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
I also like folding the ends over the constrictor knots, it makes it look pro;-):
Good tip! Sure it looks tidy.

Which gun is in the picture? Looks like CF barrel with plastic muzzle.

Mikel
Old 08-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #12
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
Good tip! Sure it looks tidy.

Which gun is in the picture? Looks like CF barrel with plastic muzzle.

Mikel
Not to derail this thread, but since you asked - it's a total mongrel gun. A friend found a 75 Cayman in the ocean. No owners came forward so he eventually gifted it to me. I swapped the corroded barrel for a Chinese CF tube, DIY'ed a ghetto rail onto it, swapped the screw-in muzzle for a cheapo Cressi muzzle (which I modified with some putty) and rigged it with a nice shaft and two small ID bands. In the process it grew to become a carbon 90, up from the alu 75 it started life as.
When it was all done, I gave it away to a female friend of mine who runs a freedive shop in the Philippines so she could start catching some dinners:-)

A build log here: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=192349

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 08-08-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #13
Hpwatson

Cool story about the gun and good setup on that bungee. I ordered some latex tubing but I don't plan on using any brass hardware, just a stainless swivel and that's it.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:25 AM   #14
Mikel_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Not to derail this thread, but since you asked - it's a total mongrel gun. A friend found a 75 Cayman in the ocean. No owners came forward so he eventually gifted it to me. I swapped the corroded barrel for a Chinese CF tube, DIY'ed a ghetto rail onto it, swapped the screw-in muzzle for a cheapo Cressi muzzle (which I modified with some putty) and rigged it with a nice shaft and two small ID bands. In the process it grew to become a carbon 90, up from the alu 75 it started life as.
When it was all done, I gave it away to a female friend of mine who runs a freedive shop in the Philippines so she could start catching some dinners:-)

A build log here: http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=192349
¡Great build with that Omer Cayman! I enjoyed the buidl thread a lot. I have that very same muzzle in a short 82cm gun I put together out of a Picasso aluminum barrel, Sporasub Viper handle, stick on shaft guide and MVD Xsmal soft touch reel. 6,25mm x 115cm shaft and single 16mm band in the furthest hole. For small stuff, hole hunting and murky water works just fine.

Mikel
Old 08-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #15
Marco

So, at the end, did the lady thank you? And how?

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote