Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 4.91 average. Display Modes
Old 07-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #481
HowdIgetSoLucky

Re: Utah Visibility Overview (please contribute!)

I broke my first rule of spearfishing: Never dive Deer Creek on a holiday weekend :-(

At 0730 Saturday (4th of July) the visibility was 2-3 feet down to 30-35 feet. There is also a thermocline there and the visibility opens up to 6-8 feet but very low light due to the murk above. Did not see a single bass or walleye. This is just my 4th trip out this year but each trip has seen few or no walleye in DC so far. Trips prior to this weekend had good visibility.

I've started working on this project to open up the places I can get to. 15.5 feet long and 5 feet wide, so nice and stable!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat frames.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	219278  
HowdIgetSoLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:34 PM   #482
IDreamOfVis

Looking good, can't wait to see its maiden voyage. Walleye have been very scarce this year, only saw one last weekend and 3 total between the two of us. I hope they didn't eat themselves out of house and home this winter and have a die off. Hit me up whenever you have some time, I've got a new place in starvation we need to dive soon
IDreamOfVis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:06 PM   #483
tearitup

I have been to deer creek pretty much once a week since March and starting to get good lung strength and started to get into the fish a lot now i got my first walleye last weekend a 13in. I got a 16in that was pretty good size today It was rainy and only a handful of boats less then ten, the water was still pretty murky and dark cause of the rain and clouds but I seen a lot of fish today. Yesterday I started out at the state park by the dam and it was my first time there and by 8 or 9 the water was the worst I've seen up there.
tearitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:49 AM   #484
FWFishSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearitup View Post
I have been to deer creek pretty much once a week since March and starting to get good lung strength and started to get into the fish a lot now i got my first walleye last weekend a 13in. I got a 16in that was pretty good size today It was rainy and only a handful of boats less then ten, the water was still pretty murky and dark cause of the rain and clouds but I seen a lot of fish today. Yesterday I started out at the state park by the dam and it was my first time there and by 8 or 9 the water was the worst I've seen up there.
Sounds like youve had better luck than the rest of us. I was there last weekend and saw 1 in real murky water, then again last thursday with 4 of us we only saw 1 that was still way to small to shoot.
FWFishSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:52 AM   #485
FWFishSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowdIgetSoLucky View Post
I've started working on this project to open up the places I can get to. 15.5 feet long and 5 feet wide, so nice and stable!
Boat building is lots of fun. Helped my dad with some duck boats years ago. Let us know how it looks when she's all finished
Old 07-06-2015, 08:36 AM   #486
Les Sage

I had much better vis at Starvation. That maybe the best Walleye hole this year.

Good luck with your boat Lucky!
Old 07-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #487
tearitup

I'm might be getting my rmsf membership and hitting up the tournament this month is there any rules like no diving there within the week, I might pull my trailer up there for Thursday tell Saturday or sunday. What about pneumatic guns in the tournament
Old 07-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #488
Shroomy

No special rules, I will be doing the same thing, probably Thursday through Sunday and I use a pneumatic gun. It should be a good time. See you there.
Shroomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:16 PM   #489
tearitup

This was my first walleye. At deer creek two a week ago what gopro color filter would I get to help with underwater https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTWuJrzW5o
Old 07-08-2015, 10:07 PM   #490
IDreamOfVis

Has anyone seen what the vis at echo reservoir is right now. I've never dove there and was thinking of heading up there this weekend
Old 07-08-2015, 11:12 PM   #491
cadams

I have also thought about spearing in echo. What kinda fish are in there?
cadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #492
IDreamOfVis

As far as I know the standard trout and bass crowd, no walleye though. It is supposed to have chanel cats in it though, which is what I'll probably go after
Old 07-15-2015, 01:02 PM   #493
briandshelby

Hit Deer Creek last night, swam around the island. Bad vis - 1-2 feet on the east side and maybe 7 on the west. It was pretty windy but calmed down later. We saw a surprising number of walleye though - put four on the stringer with two guys, and saw lots more. Usually they'd spook as you brought your gun around since they were so close. Weirdest part - ZERO carp, not a single one in three hours.
briandshelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:00 PM   #494
FWFishSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandshelby View Post
Hit Deer Creek last night, swam around the island. Bad vis - 1-2 feet on the east side and maybe 7 on the west. It was pretty windy but calmed down later. We saw a surprising number of walleye though - put four on the stringer with two guys, and saw lots more. Usually they'd spook as you brought your gun around since they were so close. Weirdest part - ZERO carp, not a single one in three hours.
Finally they decide to show up! That is pretty strange about the carp though...
Old 07-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #495
tearitup

One of my favorites from the tournament at starvation yesterday. https://youtu.be/whOS_MOPpvw. 8th in novice