Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 04-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
manmarvel

Lower keys BackCountry spearfishing

Im a moderately experienced spearo. My grandpa lives in key west, and I've been hitting the backcountry around the lower keys every summer for about 4 years now, where you can find quickly find a limit on mangroves and schoolmasters, and the occasional muttons in 10-20ft. the deepest I've hunted in was about 30ft off of key biscayne in miami.
I know a lot of people on this blog read up what they need and don't contribute at all.
If anyone wants to hit up some of these backcountry spots, and has a small enough boat, or even a kayak PM me. id be more than willing to share what my grandfather has shared w/ me.
manmarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
manmarvel

Re: Lower keys BackCountry spearfishing

this was my last trip, in november. The water was pretty cold, and it was the first time i went out there out of summer. A lot of fish but not too big, i guess the biggen's were in the deeper water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumb_IMG_1142_1024.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	232414  
Old 04-14-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
manmarvel

During the summer, these spots are loaded w/ nice size fish. This is from a really quick trip my grandpa and i made, the tide changes weren't timely and we couldn't take too long. I also know quite a bit about navigating the back country (high tide is a must). the larger snapper is the average fish size you'll see out there, although I've missed a shot on a monster cubera, and seen a big mutton gracefully pass by as i tried to dislodge my spear from a mangrove root

oh, and for those who don't believe that sheepshead make it down to the lower keys, here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0453-2.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	232416  
Old 04-15-2017, 08:13 AM   #4
madd_dips

Awesome! I have some bug spots in the flats up in Miami. Never done anything down the KW tho.
madd_dips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #5
Hec_jr

That sounds great! I would love to go back country. I've been to 2 spots near knocked down key and summer land but nothing too big. I was just down there this past weekend.
Hec_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:50 AM   #6
StukNotAnchored

I don't go there, but I do respect and appreciate your willingness to contribute and help people out. There are enough takers in the world.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
mrbowdeadly

Ditto on being a giver.....lotsa people keep to themselves on here and don't care to help anyone. I am headed down for mini season and looking forward to some great spearing. Thanks for posting up the pics, I enjoyed them.

MBD
Old 05-28-2017, 08:04 AM   #8
slowboat

Any mangrove area is in state waters , be aware that the limit on the grey snappers is 5 per person , not 10 , as in federal waters .
At $300 a piece , it's not worth being otl, in the summer the greys move offshore to spawn .
Here is tip though , as you swim underneath the branches , spear cocked , don,t extend it , hold the tip closer in to your body and you'll get closer on them as they dart out. Jan and feb are when the big greys lay up in mangroves. Happy hunting
slowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:36 AM   #9
Rootbeer

When you say back country to me back country is Flamingo Florida Bay towards the mangroves or Card Sound and back there and 10k islands. Just say'n. Thats cool I'll pass on crocs in the mangroves of back country fishing hahaha since I have fished those back country spots pole fishing for decades and the park area does not allow spearfishing in that area anyways even if you don't manage getting eaten by hungry crocs in the back country and all in that neck of the woods ������ My two cents...
Stick to the reefs on the opposite side in the keys or Gulf of Mexico in open deeper ocean reef waters. But Keys fishing for mangroves are pretty much all over but when I've dived the keys which is not much we spot Permits and groupers galour and hogs. Snappers and school masters we see but we usually target the bigger prize fish unless we find some rare big snaps. Seen bigger Mangroves and School Madters in Homestead where we dive though and I do have spots in those areas cause we dive it more often cause we too cheap to travel to the keys constantly. You just got to locate some hot spot maps for snappers maybe in the keys and that should help my other thing is watch on clear viz days for spots and reef patches. I honestly don't have any favorite spots in the keys to dive just for snappers or school masters... But they usually are everywhere all over live reef patches and truly easy to find over there when I have gone... I'm sure you'll find spots in the keys for snappers and school masters and muttons and probably even some mahogany snaps.

You are right majority of spearos or pole fishermen won't give up spots. You can google for artifical reefs and wrecks and easily find some gps spots online though.

Follow Our Dive Team Adventures
on Instagram and Youtube ~Look for:
"TeamJesusFreakSpearfishing"
Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote