Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 06-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #31
grey2112

Re: Strikelines Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeLines View Post
Hey, if you and your buddy bought the same chart you would receive the same coordinates. We try to include several hundred waypoints on each chart so there is no danger of too much pressure on one spot - hopefully enough spots so you'll always have new ones to try! The St Pete Offshore chart, for example, has 1,048 waypoints, not including lines to trace out ledges, circle hard bottom areas, and other things.

After using the chart for a few months, how do you like it? Please let us know if there is ever anything we can do to help or improve!
The lines really help. I haven't had a chance to dive any of the spots yet as most of the areas I've been fishing and diving in this year have not been near the spots. The one place I was near to I tooled around a little up top and saw some decent structure, but we were already done diving for the day so couldn't get in and see them first hand.

Hoping that soon I'll start getting on some of the Clearwater offshore numbers.

I do think that with every set of spots you sell, you should at least include some of the imagery of say 10-20 of the areas you think look really good - that way people can see just what the area looks like, at least on your sidescan. Some guys like diving ledges, others wrecks and artificials, and others like hard bottom or rocks. This would allow them to see just what is down there at least from the perspective of your sonar.
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 06:45 PM   #32
Russell stalk

So, I got the Anna Maria off shore map pack. So far 3 out 4 ledges were hits! They were not exactly where the pins and lines were. I had to drive around, but with my side-scan, I picked them up in less than 5 min. They were usually within 100' of the spot. The hard bottom was usually correct. But I don't dive hard bottom, I could tell it was hard bottom from the bottom reader though.

All spots that I tried showed some sort of people having been there. Beer bottles or broken line was left around the ledges.

It's worth $200 in my opinion, if you need new #'s . if you are new to an area, it's definitely worth spending it on a few guaranteed spots instead of wasting gas!
Russell stalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:23 PM   #33
byrd

IMO, these are worth every penny. Two weeks ago, we went out ARS fishing and I had never been before and had no personal spots because I spearfish more than fish. So all my spots are 75' deep or less. We used the AMI chart from Strikelines, drove out 30 miles to 120' and drifted across some ledges. Caught 3 keepers in about 15 min. We had no trouble finding spots with fish all day long.

Now we also spearfished St Pete over a month ago, and found structure, but it seemed the closer stuff had been affected by the hurricane more. I dropped in what was supposed to be a large ledge on the chart and it was only about a foot off the sea floor. I had never been in that area before, so it was a ledge, just wasn't exactly a large one, so I assumed it may have been covered up some by the storm.

My only suggestion is that if you go back and remap an area, you should offer your existing customers the chance to upgrade their chart for a fee. Other than that, i would be interested in an Englewood to Boca Grande offshore chart.

Keep up the good work, IMO these maps are great!!

Byrdman
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:35 AM   #34
StrikeLines

All, thanks for the feedback.

Grey2112, I understand what you're saying about the imagery. It's been a common request and one we probably need to implement sooner rather than later. We may release all the imagery with the upcoming Tampa Bay chart. What do you think about releasing it in Google Earth format? Due to the sheer size and also Garmin blocking third party charts, it's tough to release it in a format for chart plotters.
StrikeLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #35
grey2112

Quote:
All, thanks for the feedback.

Grey2112, I understand what you're saying about the imagery. It's been a common request and one we probably need to implement sooner rather than later. We may release all the imagery with the upcoming Tampa Bay chart. What do you think about releasing it in Google Earth format? Due to the sheer size and also Garmin blocking third party charts, it's tough to release it in a format for chart plotters.
I think it would be an excellent idea, especially for nerds like me who like to plan out everything and map out areas we'd like to check out based on the imagery.

I think a trip down here as I've mentioned before where I can take you and your equipment out to some of my large areas of wonderful bottom (Pasco and Hernando counties, of which you have very little in the way of numbers) is a good idea as well.

Finally, releasing in GPX format, I believe, is just fine. Garmin can convert the numbers in Homeport or a host of other free software that converts. GPX is sort of the standard neutral format.

I think sending out the coordinates in GPX, and then the actual imagery with the names imposed on each in JPG format makes more sense.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #36
StrikeLines

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey2112 View Post
I think it would be an excellent idea, especially for nerds like me who like to plan out everything and map out areas we'd like to check out based on the imagery.

I think a trip down here as I've mentioned before where I can take you and your equipment out to some of my large areas of wonderful bottom (Pasco and Hernando counties, of which you have very little in the way of numbers) is a good idea as well.

Finally, releasing in GPX format, I believe, is just fine. Garmin can convert the numbers in Homeport or a host of other free software that converts. GPX is sort of the standard neutral format.

I think sending out the coordinates in GPX, and then the actual imagery with the names imposed on each in JPG format makes more sense.
I hope to be back down in the next week or so to finish scanning Tampa Bay. If I can squeeze in a few extra days I'd love to take you out and we can explore some of those areas.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:28 PM   #37
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Eric, if all you have is jpegs with a few named waypoints overlaid on top of the imagery, then it's going to be very hard to pick GPS coordinates off of features in the imagery. If as he suggested it was released in Google Earth format, then you would be able to get coordinates directly for interesting visual features from the imagery. you would also be able to import your personal waypoints into Google Earth and view them with respect to the imagery to see if there are interesting features near to your own waypoints. I think that would be a major Plus.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:29 PM   #38
grey2112

Quote:
I hope to be back down in the next week or so to finish scanning Tampa Bay. If I can squeeze in a few extra days I'd love to take you out and we can explore some of those areas.
Email me and let's see if we can make our schedules work.

ericfield@hotmail.com
Old 06-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #39
grey2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson Brown View Post
Eric, if all you have is jpegs with a few named waypoints overlaid on top of the imagery, then it's going to be very hard to pick GPS coordinates off of features in the imagery. If as he suggested it was released in Google Earth format, then you would be able to get coordinates directly for interesting visual features from the imagery. you would also be able to import your personal waypoints into Google Earth and view them with respect to the imagery to see if there are interesting features near to your own waypoints. I think that would be a major Plus.
As long as you can then import those Google Earth waypoints/numbers into your GPS, then I'm all for it.

Maybe release Google Earth format, images, AND the corresponding GPX format with just the numbers.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #40
Watergator

Any plans to do any mapping on the east coast? I just moved down here and I could see this being pretty popular, especially in the Stuart to Sebastian area where the shelf is pretty wide and there’s a lot of scattered reefs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Watergator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:45 PM   #41
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Quote:
As long as you can then import those Google Earth waypoints/numbers into your GPS, then I'm all for it.

Maybe release Google Earth format, images, AND the corresponding GPX format with just the numbers.
Yes. Google Earth can import GPX directly, and it can export GPX indirectly via a KMZ file that would be run thru a converter like GPSBabel to get a GPX.

Last I checked, G Earth didn't export GPX directly, so it's not my preferred way of managing waypoints, but it WOULD be a great way to view imagery and Mark features for later bulk export.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:48 AM   #42
StrikeLines

Quote:
Email me and let's see if we can make our schedules work.

ericfield@hotmail.com
As soon as I figure out dates, will do! Thanks.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #43
StrikeLines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watergator View Post
Any plans to do any mapping on the east coast? I just moved down here and I could see this being pretty popular, especially in the Stuart to Sebastian area where the shelf is pretty wide and there’s a lot of scattered reefs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We're working on it .
Old 07-09-2018, 05:30 PM   #44
StrikeLines

We worked with Ryan Myers for the 2018 Freediving Nationals out of Clearwater Yacht Club. When we asked Ryan for feedback about our charts he emailed "Your numbers are incredible. We completely abandoned all the other numbers we had just to search as many of yours as possible. I probably hit over 300 of them over the course of two weeks. They were so good we didn’t even try to scan them before getting in."

We're giving away a free chart this week, just email us a few fishing photos. See the StrikeLines Facebook page for more information.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #45
Contender36

we have both strikelines and cmor, cmor is badass as you can see with color the shape and dept of structure, strikelines in more "here's a rock, ledge,etc" i run garmin but have a small simrad we use for other charts. if it looks good on my bottom machine we'll dive and name it and put on my garmin if worth keeping. I have found good stuff with both. as we keep getting bowled over by technology well see more and more cool products.