Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Kayak Diving

All About Kayak Diving Here is a place to discuss the growing travel mode of kayak diving.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:34 PM   #16
Spearo|Joe

Re: Went u go out in a kayak by u self how u use if u dont want to ancle

I have about 40 ft of nylon rope attached to the front of my kayak. The other end of the rope has an aluminum (legit) climbing carabiner. I clip the carabiner to the back of my weight belt while working large areas and searching/drifting. If i find a location that i want to work for a while i dive down and wrap the line around the rock/reef/structure/bridge and clip it to itself with the carabiner. This is much easier than using an anchor and you can up and move the kayak as much as you need to without the burden of an anchor. I believe this is a much more versatile approach to anchoring/towing the kayak.
Spearo|Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #17
vtownmike

Sounds good to anchor up until you surface with no kayak in sight. Ever since I pull my kayak. It's attached to me by a reel with neon pink rope. I attach it to two spots in the front of the kayak in case one of them breaks off (kinda a fail safe).
vtownmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #18
SpearoSevv

Have you looked into tethering your kayak to your dive belt? I imagine that would work well for drifting, if the current isn't too strong.
SpearoSevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #19
AndrewK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearoSevv View Post
Have you looked into tethering your kayak to your dive belt? I imagine that would work well for drifting, if the current isn't too strong.
Doesn't work at all, ive tried it before... kayak turns into a friggin giant amount of drag.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #20
BenGreen

Paddle out, anchor up using a real anchor (small), then dive...no problemo. Love my yak
BenGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #21
HappySpear

In my experience, attaching a rope from the gun to the kayak works just fine. In Florida, currents run pararell to the shoreline. I simply paddle against the current about 1-2 miles and just drift and zigzag. If I find a good spot, just clip my kayak to a rock and stay around the area for a little bit. That has worked for me so far. It is not a good idea to stay away from your ride home
HappySpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:21 PM   #22
peripatetic

I anchor where appropriate using a large scope (5-7:1) and a small bouy. I don't like attaching a floatline to the boat as you could loose your boat that way. When drifting I prefer to tether the boat to a clip (Neptonics) on the back of my weight belt. I use about 40' of line. Before you dive pull the boat close so the line is slack. That way the boat is not pulling on you.

This is safer than anchoring in strong current where you might have a long swim home without your ride. The Kayak is a stable platform for a rest, a place to keep your fish (and blood) out of the water, and provides an illusion of safety if one of our grey friends shows up: Plus it's your ride home.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote