Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 10-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
SpearforBeer

adderall

I currently take 35 mg of Adderall XR for ADHD every day. I was wondering if this has any affect on my freediving. I would think it would have a negative effect since it increases heart rate but when I work out I can do like 50 pushups which is almost double my normal amount. I usually just dont take it the day I go out freediving.
SpearforBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:19 AM   #2
Christof
Buddies are the best

Re: adderall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearforBeer
I currently take 35 mg of Adderall XR for ADHD every day.
You dont want me to even start about what I think of adults being prescribed that stuff

Quote:
when I work out I can do like 50 pushups which is almost double my normal amount.
....That is because it is an amphetamine. It definetely increases your chance of accident while diving.. No different than doing crystal meth prior to a dive. Since it is extended release, simply not taking your hit, er, dose the day before you dive is not going to clear it from your system.

Christof

"Any day diving is a damn good day!!"
Christof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
Pirate Dave

i took 40's spearing in the bahamas last time and nearly tripled my fish intake

like no joke bro, i call it my fish killing pills

youll never miss a fish again spearforbeer
Pirate Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #4
SpearforBeer

Quote:
youll never miss a fish again spearforbeer
Im not worried about missin fish , just if it affects my breath hold time. I probably should try it just to see though.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
NOTANX
shane, snorkologist

anything that speeds yor heart rate up is going to effect your diving, especially freediving.

Palm Beach Freedivers
flfreedivers.com
Rob Allen Railguns
NOTANX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
ROCK BOTTOM

We call them "Genius Pills" at the office. Nothing like being able to knock out a 1,000+ page government contract in one day. They were also really handy when I drove from Venice, LA to NPR, FL for the SBO two years ago. Dove all day, drove all night and partied the entire next day with the "Captain". I did sleep most of the ride home.

Hell, pop away! You gotta die from something. (My way of saying that you probably shouldn't zing while diving/biking/jogging/etc.)

Zz
You got to move your ass."

The Radiators
ROCK BOTTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #7
Seacidal

Rather than Adderal, which is an amphetamine (as already stated), you might want to talk with your doc about modafinil, which is a non-amphetamine stimulant. It's commonly used to treat narcolepsy, and doesn't cause the same degree of physical stimulation (i.e., increased heart rate), yet it does provide increased alertness and concentration.
Just trying to help.

Seacidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:25 PM   #8
FeAr_ThE_SpEaR

Man i used to take that same dasage and then i switched to concerta but i dove while still on them and i know that everytime i dove i would end up having the worst headache ever and i would have to sit on the boat. It affects everyone different man i got ADHD also it helped me a lot in school but made me like a Zombie out of school and i would just like doze off and i would always be sleepy. My say in it from experience is that i would not dive with it in your system. And Christof the time release deffinetly does not last until the next day it wears off over night. But i wouldn' dive with it in my system again it really f's with your body. And ontop of that u get really depressed when your not doing anything. Haha
FeAr_ThE_SpEaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:42 PM   #9
Christof
Buddies are the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacidal
Rather than Adderal, which is an amphetamine (as already stated), you might want to talk with your doc about modafinil, which is a non-amphetamine stimulant. It's commonly used to treat narcolepsy, and doesn't cause the same degree of physical stimulation (i.e., increased heart rate), yet it does provide increased alertness and concentration.
Just trying to help.
You'll find that most "ADHD" adults dont want the non-stimulant stuff....
For the older crowd here, remember the "Cross Tops" days?? Same difference, but back in our day you went to jail for that... Now you simply have to shop around for a Psychologist that loves to hand out scripts for your "disorder".... When I was a kid, I was called "Hyper" and fit to a T what nowadays is considered ADHD.... Thank god back then we didnt have the slew of drugs available for kids today, or I surely would have been on several... I shudder to think of caring for critically ill people while on amphetamine, but could legally do so... But should I smoke a joint while on vacation for two weeks in Jamaica and it show up in my pee? Loss of license, job, etc.... The pharmaceutical companies are the ones we need to be fearing more than many Govt entities IMHO.... The power they wield is scary.

Christof

"Any day diving is a damn good day!!"
Christof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 10:52 AM   #10
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christof
You'll find that most "ADHD" adults dont want the non-stimulant stuff....
For the older crowd here, remember the "Cross Tops" days?? Same difference, but back in our day you went to jail for that... Now you simply have to shop around for a Psychologist that loves to hand out scripts for your "disorder".... When I was a kid, I was called "Hyper" and fit to a T what nowadays is considered ADHD.... Thank god back then we didnt have the slew of drugs available for kids today, or I surely would have been on several... I shudder to think of caring for critically ill people while on amphetamine, but could legally do so... But should I smoke a joint while on vacation for two weeks in Jamaica and it show up in my pee? Loss of license, job, etc.... The pharmaceutical companies are the ones we need to be fearing more than many Govt entities IMHO.... The power they wield is scary.

Christof
ultimatley its up to most ppl what they put in thier body, the doc doesn't put a gun to your head and make you take it. although the first thing most docs will do is prescribe pill before trying anthing that doesn't involve putting foreign chemicals into your body, but hey thats they way the industry works, its not all about ppls health as the first priority anymore. not to take anything away from those docs who still have a strong sense of ethics and do whats right for the patient but you gotta be able to see when you're being worked. most ppl don't do thier own research they just take thier docs word as a holy truth and take whatever pills they are given without a second thought, therein is where the problem lies.

freediving on aderall is a horrible idea, i would never even consider diving while on it.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #11
diverik
The Duck-footed Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christof
No different than doing crystal meth prior to a dive. Since it is extended release, simply not taking your hit, er, dose the day before you dive is not going to clear it from your system.

Christof
I have to disagree Christof. I had a seven year battle with crystal meth years ago. I took aderall and meth and dove. Your heart rate would increase yes. But no different than doing meth? No way. Not even in the same ballpark bro! Rick
Old 10-14-2006, 09:57 PM   #12
SpearforBeer

Quote:
shudder to think of caring for critically ill people while on amphetamine, but could legally do so...
Actually I pulled up my Gpa from a 3.1 to a 3.9 after being prescribed. You would probably do better since its a Psycostimulant...
Old 10-15-2006, 06:36 PM   #13
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diverik
I have to disagree Christof. I had a seven year battle with crystal meth years ago. I took aderall and meth and dove. Your heart rate would increase yes. But no different than doing meth? No way. Not even in the same ballpark bro! Rick
actually aderoll (amphetamine is the chemical name) and meth (methamphetamine) are almost exactly the same, chemically the structures are almost totally identical except for a methyl group on the amino of meth. They are both puzzle pieces which are almost identical so to speak that fit into the exact same receptors in the brain, the physiological changes meth causes are just a little more prounounced due to this methyl group but they are both acting on the same part of the brain in the same way. conclusion, aderoll is legal methamphetamine, just not as intense.
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #14
JAW

You have obviously been doing way to much aderoll studing for those orgo classes spearopimp You would love neuroanatomy it is even better.
JAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:09 PM   #15
Rolo
Freediving Spearo

If one chemically analyzes the structures and physiological effects of both Crystal Meth and Adderall, Yes they are very similar and certainly affect the same receptors in the human body. However, the difference Rick is alluding to is real. In reality one can NOT compare crystal Meth vs. Branded Adderall. For one, Crystal meth is generally referred to the street product. Home-grown Crystal Meth is usually done in someone's garage and certainly not in a controlled environement as you would expect to find in a laboratory where Adderall is constituted. I wonder how many laminar flow hoods the everyday crystal meth maker uses.

Crystal meth is made by using Pseudoephedrine, Iodine crystals and Red Phosporus with a shit load of other ingredients such as acetone and muratic acid. It's not unrealistic to think that crystal meth has many impurities. However, Adderall is made in a tablet form by trained laboratory personal. It is mixed salts of amphetamines along with its enatiomers (mirror versions). It's main inactive ingredients are usually benign fillers such as gelatin or methycellulose. Also, as Adderall is made in tablet form it will usually loose some of its "strength" or bioavailability to the liver, where as Crystal meth can be snorted or injected for an immediate and 100% effect. Thus, there are many real differences between the common street version Crystal Meth vs. Adderall even when the chemical structures are basically the same.

Last edited by Rolo; 10-15-2006 at 08:35 PM.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote