Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Freediving Area

General Freediving Area If Apnea Diving rocks your world, talk about it here!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #61
BreathlessSight

Re: Physiological adaptations to long-term freediving

What about if your diet consisted on just oatmeal, rice, fish, and McDonalds?
BreathlessSight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:12 AM   #62
Gerald C. Perry
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathlessSight View Post
Kevin,

McDonalds is fine, just stay away from the dollar menu. A number one with about 4 or 5 refills of coke and you'll be breaking 50 meters and shooting huge dogtooth tuna!

You might have slight indegestion though.

Skip
Old 04-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #63
Adelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniels View Post
Variety is key..Thats what i tell all my clients,,dont just do one thing for workouts,mix it up..I train them with weights,and plyometrics,,but also have them do some cardio to train there cardiovascular system..try a few days per week training with weights,one hour sessions..this would work your slow twitch fibers..sticking with reps between 8 to 12..hope this helps..
helps alot actually, thanks
Adelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #64
oto_gc
I like diving

Quote:
Variety is key..Thats what i tell all my clients,,dont just do one thing for workouts,mix it up..I train them with weights,and plyometrics,,but also have them do some cardio to train there cardiovascular system..try a few days per week training with weights,one hour sessions..this would work your slow twitch fibers..sticking with reps between 8 to 12..hope this helps..
hi Daniels, I have a question, not being a smart ass, just curious.

is this training more geared towards overall fitness, or is this training specifically aimed at improving freediving skills? If you're training mostly for freediving, what kind of results are you seeing?

I used to do a lot of weight and cardio training and have found that I have become a better diver (longer dynamics, longer bottom times) since I have switched my training to more pool (I agree that variety is key to any type of training btw), and maybe weights once or 2 a week, which is mostly a short duration (30 mins) high intens session focused on core muscles. I don't train one muscle group for an hour a day like I used to.
I don't do any cardio at all anymore, outside of what I do at the pool.
oto_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #65
Daniels
6th Generation fl.Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oto_gc View Post

is this training more geared towards overall fitness, or is this training specifically aimed at improving freediving skills? If you're training mostly for freediving, what kind of results are you seeing?

I used to do a lot of weight and cardio training and have found that I have become a better diver (longer dynamics, longer bottom times) since I have switched my training to more pool (I agree that variety is key to any type of training btw), and maybe weights once or 2 a week, which is mostly a short duration (30 mins) high intens session focused on core muscles. I don't train one muscle group for an hour a day like I used to.
I don't do any cardio at all anymore, outside of what I do at the pool.
Hi,,no i am not training for freediving..I scuba,but the muscles needed for any kind of swimming,need the same energy source..Witch comes from glycogen,,witch is depleted no matter what physical activity you are doing,weight lifting,running,cardio,swimming,,all the above..Diet is everything as far as how the body works..the write ratio of protein,clean carbs,and healthy fats..All I was saying is that the when the muscles direct energy source witch is from glycogen storage in the muscle,and atp,witch is from
creatine.the best for keeping muscle saturated with energy is to eat low glycemic carbs,like sweat potatos,brown rice and oatmeal,these convert after going through the liver to glycogen and is stored in the muscle as its energy source,witch gives you sustained energy for whatever activity you are doing,,while keeping the blood sugar stable for longer periods of time...supplementing a little creatine helps also...
Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #66
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

Quote:

Its for lifting tanks in and out of the boat faster with a quicker recovery.

Just kidding...

Good Info. Daniels. Oats or oatmeal should always be in your diet.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #67
Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathlessSight View Post
lol..i will never recomend the mc donalds to anybody,all thow one cheat day per week seems to work for many people..regardless,loading up with the carbs i listed ,sweatpotatos,brown rice,not white rice,and oatmeal on days of pyhsical activity,anything physicaly demanding,will give the fuel to the muscles for sustained energy..Also,eating these things post physical activity will help in replenishing glycogen storage,helps the healing process..add a little glutamine and creatine helps also,about 10 grams each...Diet is everything,you need the write ratios of clean carbs,witch are the ones i listed,and the write ratio of protein and healthy fats..
Old 04-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #68
Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdiver View Post
Its for lifting tanks in and out of the boat faster with a quicker recovery.

Just kidding...

Good Info. Daniels. Oats or oatmeal should always be in your diet.
lol..very true,,those tanks do get heavy..
Old 04-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #69
greekdiver

Send a message via MSN to greekdiver

If you eat lots of red meat, you probably have enough creatine. I noticed that when i was taking it. I do take glutamine though. Its harder to get glutamine in your system than creatine unless you can eat a whole lot of raw spinach.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #70
Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdiver View Post
If you eat lots of red meat, you probably have enough creatine. I noticed that when i was taking it. I do take glutamine though. Its harder to get glutamine in your system than creatine unless you can eat a whole lot of raw spinach.
Yes red meat does have creatine in it..problem is to get 10 grams of creatine from meat,it would take about 10 pounds of meat,its cheaper to just take the liquid creatine.Same with glutamine,i think its just easier to take the glutamine supplement..Better easliy absorbed by the body also..
Old 04-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #71
monster slayer
Sexy Beast

Quote:
Never said not to have any fat..low glycemic carbs like the one i listed are way better for sustaining longer energy..research it..Thats a fact..That is the case with fast acting carbs,high glycemic,,i didnt list any of those..I also stated you need protein..For swimming diveing,for long workouts and things like this.Those carbs i listed are perfect for loading glycogen in the muscle..Your muscle gets the energy from glycogen,after your liver converts it to glycogen.I train athletes and bodybuilders,runners,you name it.Your write about the fast acting high glycemic carbs,I didnt mention those.That atkins diet is a joke,,only works for short turm weight loss,and unhealthy as hell.What you should stay away from is the fast acting carbs.If you just have protein in your diet,you will feel flat and depleted,run out of energy fast.Those 3 things i listed sweat potatoes brown rice and oatmeal are the best for not spiking the insulin level,therefor no crash in blood sugars,witch in turn results in muscle energy,glycogen in the muscles..Do your research before you put words in someones mouth...
I never suggested that your thoughts were wrong, i am just pointing a possibility, another option, not just all that carb stuff, if you are glucose intolerant or B diabetic, that diet is not going to be any good. Diversity is the key of succes, don`t you think ...?
monster slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #72
Adelito

Quote:
Yes red meat does have creatine in it..problem is to get 10 grams of creatine from meat,it would take about 10 pounds of meat,its cheaper to just take the liquid creatine.Same with glutamine,i think its just easier to take the glutamine supplement..Better easliy absorbed by the body also..
recommend any brands, dosaging?
Old 04-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #73
Adelito

do i have to take it everyday? or just before a day of diving

how about glutamine?

have any of you heard of eating very high in fiber days leading up to a weeken of freediving easier expansion of the diaphragm?
Old 04-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #74
oto_gc
I like diving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelito View Post
do i have to take it everyday? or just before a day of diving

how about glutamine?

have any of you heard of eating very high in fiber days leading up to a weeken of freediving easier expansion of the diaphragm?
man, I think you're way overthinking this stuff, unless you're planning on diving competitions and going very deep, I don't think this will have much of an impact on spearfishing dives that are normally 90' or less ( at least for me )

spend time in the water (ocean or pool) instead
oto_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #75
Adelito

Quote:
man, I think you're way overthinking this stuff, unless you're planning on diving competitions and going very deep, I don't think this will have much of an impact on spearfishing dives that are normally 90' or less ( at least for me )

spend time in the water (ocean or pool) instead
every little bit helps