Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Upper Gulfcoast

Upper Gulfcoast This is the area for spearfishermen in Panama City, Destin/Ft. Walton, Pensacola, Alabama, Miss., and Louisiana.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
YoungMarine
Registered User
 
YoungMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: LA
Posts: 36
Destin/FWB

Heading to Destin for Thanksgiving week. My wife's family rented a house out and I will be looking to slip out and get the fins wet Nov 22-24th if anyone local or in the area at that time needs a dive buddy (not sure if I will be able to get my wife up early to dive with me on vacation, especially if it is cold). As of now, the plan is to spearfish by shore or rent a kayak, but if someone has a boat and would like another freediver, I would gladly split fuel, ice costs, etc. After doing some online research, I have a few questions if anyone is familiar with the area. I understand the jetties are off limits as well as the main bridge. Are the pilings on the Mid Bay Bridge legal to spearfish? How about the private docks in the bay? I don't expect anyone to give up their secret spots, but if you have any general tips on areas to avoid or places accessible for shore/kayak dives it would be appreciated. Also, any recommendations on a place to rent a kayak would be helpful.
YoungMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #2
JetBoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 17
Re: Destin/FWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMarine View Post
Heading to Destin for Thanksgiving week. My wife's family rented a house out and I will be looking to slip out and get the fins wet Nov 22-24th if anyone local or in the area at that time needs a dive buddy (not sure if I will be able to get my wife up early to dive with me on vacation, especially if it is cold). As of now, the plan is to spearfish by shore or rent a kayak, but if someone has a boat and would like another freediver, I would gladly split fuel, ice costs, etc. After doing some online research, I have a few questions if anyone is familiar with the area. I understand the jetties are off limits as well as the main bridge. Are the pilings on the Mid Bay Bridge legal to spearfish? How about the private docks in the bay? I don't expect anyone to give up their secret spots, but if you have any general tips on areas to avoid or places accessible for shore/kayak dives it would be appreciated. Also, any recommendations on a place to rent a kayak would be helpful.
MidBay bridge pilings are legal. There's some question over private docks (water rights, etc) in the bay but I'm told that if public fishing isn't allowed then the dock(s) is legal. I'm new at this but I trust my source.
JetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
YoungMarine
Registered User
 
YoungMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: LA
Posts: 36
Re: Destin/FWB

Thanks for your response.
YoungMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
Triton
Registered User
 
Triton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Destin, FL
Posts: 504
Re: Destin/FWB

Any docks or bridges that do not allow public fishing or swimming are legal. Stop by the shop while you're here for more info and we'll try to point in the fishiest direction!
__________________
Destin, FL
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
JetBoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 17
Re: Destin/FWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
Any docks or bridges that do not allow public fishing or swimming are legal. Stop by the shop while you're here for more info and we'll try to point in the fishiest direction!
Is this J?
JetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:59 PM   #6
YoungMarine
Registered User
 
YoungMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: LA
Posts: 36
Re: Destin/FWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
Any docks or bridges that do not allow public fishing or swimming are legal. Stop by the shop while you're here for more info and we'll try to point in the fishiest direction!
Great. Yes, we're definitely going to stop by the shop. You guys doing Black Friday again this year?
YoungMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
Triton
Registered User
 
Triton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Destin, FL
Posts: 504
Re: Destin/FWB

Not John but he will be around that weekend. We will definitely be doing some amazing Black Friday sales as well as cyber Monday for those who can't make it to the shop. See you then!
__________________
Destin, FL
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 10:22 PM   #8
JetBoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 17
Re: Destin/FWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
Not John but he will be around that weekend. We will definitely be doing some amazing Black Friday sales as well as cyber Monday for those who can't make it to the shop. See you then!
Ok, I wonít make it down again til December but I do love gear! Iíll keep an eye on the website over that weekend. Thanks!
JetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #9
JohnAndrew
Registered User
 
JohnAndrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Fort Walton Beach/Destin
Posts: 45
Re: Destin/FWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBoy View Post
Is this J?
Who's this?
I'm around and will be getting wet with clients.
JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #10
JetBoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 17
Re: Destin/FWB

I wondered if Triton was Jon from Benthic. I’m down in Destin a few times a year and discovered Destin Spearfishing Adventures this past summer. Class outfit, and I’m always thinking about the next outing.
JetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #11
JetBoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 17
Re: Destin/FWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton View Post
Not John but he will be around that weekend. We will definitely be doing some amazing Black Friday sales as well as cyber Monday for those who can't make it to the shop. See you then!
Todayís Wednesday. I have my debit card ready for Friday! Iíll be down Dec. 7. If I buy online on Friday can I pick it up in person then?
JetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:23 PM   #12
JohnAndrew
Registered User
 
JohnAndrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Fort Walton Beach/Destin
Posts: 45
Re: Destin/FWB

Cool. We'll take care of you.
This is a great time of the year for spearing in our area.

Happy Thanksgiving guys

__________________
JohnAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:32 PM   #13
JetBoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 17
Re: Destin/FWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAndrew View Post
Cool. We'll take care of you.
This is a great time of the year for spearing in our area.

Happy Thanksgiving guys


Sounds good! You as well!
JetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.


The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Social Media Forum Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2002 - 2014 Spearboard.com