Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
Savas_the_Greek

Traveling with Spearguns/Gear

Hello Everyone,

So I am traveling to Greece next week and will be flying with Swiss Air to Zurich and from there to Kos, Greece out of Boston (Logan Airport).

Any tips on traveling with spearguns/dive weights etc?

Are they going to give me a problem?

I am using a Sportube series 3 for my all my dive gear. I plan on keeping my carbon fins attached to my carry-on backpack.

Savas
Savas_the_Greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
Rosstnfound
47.3 lbs

Re: Traveling with Spearguns/Gear

For travel, It is always much smoother to say it is "Fishing Gear" than "Spearguns". On SA the baggage max size 23KG and 158cm( L+W+H).https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/prepare/...excess-baggage

Often airlines do not charge for golf equipment but they do charge for other sports equipment. So, sometime my spearguns in a Sport Tube become "Golf Clubs". Does not look like the case with SA but calling them "Skis" might work for flights only on SA. https://www.swiss.com/ch/EN/prepare/...pecial-baggage.

If the sport tube is not being checked all the way to Greece, make sure you can bring spearguns to Switzerland.

Last edited by Rosstnfound; 08-14-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Rosstnfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
Savas_the_Greek

Thank you!!!
Old 08-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
HALF-BREED
Honor the Water

Yes thank you, answers a few questions for me as well!
HALF-BREED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:38 PM   #5
cool_spear

I wonder about your Greece vacation...I am traveling to Turkey with my gears...did you have any problem at airports?...did you have any problem with attaching carbon fins to carry-on baggage? it is a good idea...
and, I will order a hard case bag. is there any option to Sportube? I guess, Series 2 will be fine for 2 spearguns, wetsuit, and fins.
cool_spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:30 PM   #6
Savas_the_Greek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_spear View Post
I wonder about your Greece vacation...I am traveling to Turkey with my gears...did you have any problem at airports?...did you have any problem with attaching carbon fins to carry-on baggage? it is a good idea...
and, I will order a hard case bag. is there any option to Sportube? I guess, Series 2 will be fine for 2 spearguns, wetsuit, and fins.
Hey Cool_Spear,

I traveled using the Sportube 3 with two guns and the rest of my gear with no problems. I was asked multiple times what was in the Sportube and I would just say "fishing gear". If you say "spearguns" they have no way to categorize it on their system and it just turns into a mess.

I was charged an extra fee both ways for having an extra piece of luggage (plus it was oversized). I used a TSA lock and they never opened up my gear to check it.

I do not fly with lead and just bought weights there. So I am not sure if that would be a problem.

I had no problem with having the fins on my carry-on. I bought a cheap dry-bag and buckled them on. When I got on the plane I removed the fins from the bag and carefully laid them up against the back of the overhead bin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	moana fins backpack .jpg
Views:	329
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	236419

My final bit of advice is check the luggage requirements/rules on the airline website that you will be using.

Best of luck!!!
Old 01-03-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
cool_spear

I will fly THY or Lufthansa and they have same baggage regulations(star alliance member airlines). A few weeks ago, I called THY Washington DC office for learning about extra / odd dimension baggage fee information. sales person checked the system and said to me there isn't any extra fee with dimensions of sportube ( I said 150*20*30 cm )

I will have 2 *23 kg baggage and 8 kg carry on baggage. (sportube+regular baggage+carry-on) probably I won't pay an extra fee for sportube"s odd dimensions.

As you said I will buy TSA lock and I will prepare a baggage label with a title with ' fishing gear'

I have 8 kg weights at my fathers home so I don't need to carry weight.
My xxone fins will be in sportube or attached carry on baggage like yours, it is not a big deal

thanks
Old 01-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
Marco

I would recommend you to buy gear in Turkey. You'll be surprised with the price difference compared to the USA.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:24 AM   #9
cool_spear

Thank you for your recommendation. in the USA, every kind of spearfishing gears are more expensive than Turkey ...some products are around 40-50% cheaper in Turkey

All my gears are from Turkey or Greece. I will buy a hand-made wooden 110cm and Cressi Cherokee 95 speargun.

for example, made in Italy brand Cressi Cherokee is around $200 in Turkey now. High quality hand-made wooden speargun will be cost around $350-400
Old 01-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #10
virgili

I've been bw hunting in dozens countries on the five continents and experiencing all kind of situations with luggages checkin and... customs.

Been using for a while a fishing tube for the gun+shafts and putting the speargun grip in a fin as a shoetree... the spearpoints in the diving bag.
The tube is a "fishing equipment"...
Never had any problem and whatever the country visited!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gun.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	236428   Click image for larger version

Name:	gun2.jpg
Views:	629
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	236429  

www.divefreeapp.com

https://www.youtube.com/user/spearfishingmotion
virgili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #11
kodama

Traveling with Spearguns/Gear

I made one of those out of pvc pipe it works well but is a bit on the heavy side. Removing the handle and reel became a nuisance for me. Switched to a sport tube 2 which I prefer. It was good for a while and it is a low budget option.

Sent from the abyss
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote