Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Video and Photo Gear

All About Video and Photo Gear This section is for your video and photography gear questions, comments, and experiences

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
Chronikle

What's your camera mount rigging for your speargun

Starting this thread as a request to show how you mount your Go Pro, Sony Action Cam or other camera to your speargun or other gear.

I am trying to see how I might setup my sony first gen action cam (that I got free) onto my gun.

Would love to see pics if you have them!

Thanks

- Dave
Chronikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
MAKO Spearguns
Sponsor

Re: What's your camera mount rigging for your speargun

Please check out our mounts. We offer two different models. The wood gun mount screws into the gun itself, while the pipe gun mount has a clamp that is easily removable. both mounts allow the diver to remove the camera from the gun and hand hold the camera.

http://www.makospearguns.com/category-s/45.htm

http://www.makospearguns.com/

http://www.facebook.com/makospearguns

HIGH PERFORMANCE GEAR - DIRECT FROM MAKO - NO DIVE SHOP MARKUP!
MAKO Spearguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
Parish_bruh

What kinda gun are we talking about to mount to? I've owned the mako set up posted above. Great setup. MUST get the recoil back for go pros or you will have a lot video of the camera pointing up after a shot.
Parish_bruh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:38 AM   #4
injunspearo

I prefer camera on top of my head. Your head naturally absorbs shock, and moves fluidly so your eyes, the video camera of your body can record information without being overloaded with info, same goes with a head-mounted camera, I can't tell you how many times i see shaky videos because of the camera mounted on the gun, some turn out ok if you know what you're doing and you're conscious of your filming....

Still, what if you see something you want to film that you can't shoot with a loaded gun? with a head mount? just look at the thing you want to film hahaha, with a gun mount, unloading would be prudent yet cumbersome and time consuming.

Anyway, less gear on my gun the better for me, more hydrodynamic and larger field of view when aiming. Head mount all day. I don't even think about it any more, i just put it on and hit record. Refuse to do a head mount? Rob Allen has a pretty cool gun mount if you have a railgun, otherwise go homemade for sure.

hope this helped
Old 04-15-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
jmorton
BlueDrift

Had that mako Mount myself. Works great but shooting in reefs its good for banging up the camera.
I just don't trust the headmount to stay on though :/

Henry Ford
jmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by injunspearo View Post
I prefer camera on top of my head. Your head naturally absorbs shock, and moves fluidly so your eyes, the video camera of your body can record information without being overloaded with info, same goes with a head-mounted camera, I can't tell you how many times i see shaky videos because of the camera mounted on the gun, some turn out ok if you know what you're doing and you're conscious of your filming....

Still, what if you see something you want to film that you can't shoot with a loaded gun? with a head mount? just look at the thing you want to film hahaha, with a gun mount, unloading would be prudent yet cumbersome and time consuming.

Anyway, less gear on my gun the better for me, more hydrodynamic and larger field of view when aiming. Head mount all day. I don't even think about it any more, i just put it on and hit record. Refuse to do a head mount? Rob Allen has a pretty cool gun mount if you have a railgun, otherwise go homemade for sure.

hope this helped
Speargun mounts typically deliver VERY steady video, You have the camera mounted on a large, relatively massive platform.

I use the mako gun mount and it is very easy and fast to loosen a knob and then the camera and mounting arm comes off and you can hand hold the camera and film your buddy... no need to ever point the loaded gun at someone. they have a video posted of how to take it on and off in a few seconds while underwater.

I use the head mount more often, but it is tougher to get smooth video. I made a chin strap for it, makes it impossible to lose.

Also the mako recoil adapter piece works well on the gun, definitely worth buying...

I like to have several different mounting options, each gives a different feel and perspective and each has it's own weaknesses..
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
Chronikle

Anybody ever try a Joby Action clamp on a speargun?

Old 04-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
Castronova
The Conch Republic

I made this one for my Abellan Denton 120. The handle plate is screwed into the bottom of the blank so I utilized the same screws. It was made out of a sheet that I cut with a grinder, smoothed with a dremel and then bent by hand. I added the Mako stabilizer to the gopro mount and I have really enjoyed the video.

My head mounted video looked like a Blair Witch project.

The video was before the stabilizer. You can see the last two shots I tightened the screw down a lot more and it didn't jump.

Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
sfmill
checkthewater

Click image for larger version

Name:	gun mount 017.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	204448These were made out of a piece of alum flat bar and stainless bolts with urethane nuts. You have to shape the alum a little but its easy. May have $15 in all 3 mounts. I have mine out away from gun for loading and I like the angle it gives me. If you mount with a single screw or small bolt and urethane nut you can rotate camera to angle you want. But
the sky is the limit if you get creative and have some tools. Of course none of this is any good if you forget to turn the camera on like I do half the time!
aimrite speargun camera mount - YouTube spearfishing the gulf of mexico 2012 2 - YouTube
sfmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #10
Castronova
The Conch Republic

Looks like only lefties make their own gun mounts
Castronova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

i like having it mounted on my mask, i dont have to point my gun at things i want to record, and i get the first person shot...

https://youtu.be/Dkqo-KWsjfQ
matthew7stall(at)gmail(dot)com
LIMITLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #12
sfmill
checkthewater

Hey Castronova, I get so jealous when I hear how quiet (quality) wood guns are when they are shot. I love my railgun but that gun of yours is so quiet.
sfmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #13
eward4
Reef Ranger

What's your camera mount rigging for your speargun

I just made this out of some scrap speargun blank. It works great!
eward4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
Chronikle

Edward

That is pretty sweet!

Does the wood offset the weight of the camera? Are you getting neutral buoyancy or still of the negative?

Dave
Old 05-16-2014, 08:19 AM   #15
eward4
Reef Ranger

I can't tell any difference in buoyancy with the camera mount attached. That gun is actually a double barrel so it has a lot of weight to it already with two poured tracks, two trigger mechs, and two spears. The camera mount has a little weight to it also. It's made of old growth teak and padauk with marine grade stainless hardware.
eward4 is offline   Reply With Quote